ADVERTISEMENT

Barry Fenchak's Editorial to CDT

On Aug 31th Step.eng69 posted Barry Fenchak's editorial to the CDT about PSU keeping our 2020 'seat license fees' of approx $200 Million.
I know a person who filed a complaint to the Penna. Attorney General about this last week. The AG office wrote back and they said they would investigate his complaint and ask Penn State for a response.
Did anyone else write to the PA AG?
Did anyone ask for 'some' of their 2020 seat ticket money be refunded (split option) or have not heard a reply from PSU? Some do not want all their seats for next year.

I wonder how many ticket holders even answered PSU yet, of which option they wanted, for the tickets, parking passes, and other related football tickets they purchased for the 2020 season.
Also Barry stated that "Every other Big Ten athletic department has, appropriately and legally, offered their fans a refund or a credit for their 2020 seat license fees. Everyone except Sandy Barbour — the nation’s most highly paid public university athletic director."
He said these fees are essentially funds paid "in exchange for goods and services". He said the IRS clearly defined that, as of 2018, that these fees were " Seat License fees" and not donations. Would this be called "unjust enrichment"?
Who is Barry Fenchak? Is he an important person?

Who is Barry Fenchak? Is he an important person?
Nothing screams I just joined like a question such as that. Well it depends, to some he’s a dedicated savant like whistle blower. To others he’s a blowhard. But whatever one thinks, Barry is a cool, calm, patient and reasonable poster who never lost his temper when in discussions on this board. On that we can all agree.

Nothing screams I just joined like a question such as that. Well it depends, to some he’s a dedicated savant like whistle blower. To others he’s a blowhard. But whatever one thinks, Barry is a cool, calm, patient and reasonable poster who never lost his temper when in discussions on this board. On that we can all agree.
I also liked his post-game breakdowns. He really spent a lot of time on it. I don't dig into it enough to know if he is always right or not though.

Reactions: step.eng69
L O L

Reactions: LionJim
Do you work at this or does it come naturally?

Not sure if serious. Dude often belittled other posters. So he was not cool, calm or reasonable.

Reactions: wilbury
Not sure if serious. Dude often belittled other posters. So he was not cool, calm or reasonable.
So there you have it. I’ll put you down as a NO when making out the guest list for the upcoming testimonial dinner for Barry.

Actually much like Bob I just spout out the first thing that pops up in my mind. And since there’s so much empty space up there it usually rattles around wildly before reaching my fingers.

I’d say we’re related, but my idiocy is spontaneous. If I spent time thinking or whatever you call it, I might come up with something sensible. Yeah, right.

This is what happens when you hire a lady from a non-sports school from California.

The decisions of the leadership at PSU since 2011 are running PSU into the ground.
Hey Sooner Lion: Speaking of "non-sports schools," how did Jokelahoma do yesterday against Kansas State?

People like this want to **** PSU sports over. Do you know what losing $20 mill. would do to our program? Gladly nothing will come of this but people like this can go fly a kite.

Well that’s a relief we were wondering how PSU athletics could possibly exist with your largess.

Her position is obvious. PSU athletics is a non-profit organization. Imagine asking for your money back after donating to the Salvation Army?? Some people blow my mind.

Her position is obvious. PSU athletics is a non-profit organization. Imagine asking for your money back after donating to the Salvation Army?? Some people blow my mind.

The difference is that most everyone donating to the Salvation Army are doing so out of the goodness of their heart. On the contrary, the “required donation” to get season tickets is done so by just about everyone to get tickets. Any money above the required can be said to be a donation similar to your Salvation Army example. This is part of the ticket price and I’m not sure how athletic programs can even call it a donation.

I understand the argument but if not getting a refund is a financial hardship, why make the donation in the first place?? If it's not a financial hardship, why not be a real philanthropist and let the donation stand?? I don't have the fine print in front of me but I'm sure somewhere it states NLC dues are non-refundable. Besides, what if an NLC member uses that status to buy tickets for other sporting events?? Does Fenchak feel they should be entitled to a full refund or should it be based on how much of their benefit they used??

I'm far from being a Barbour fan and I realize most people donate simply for access to football tickets. But why donate of you can't afford it?? And if you can afford it, consider it a sunk cost and take satisfaction in helping ICA through a difficult time.

There is some precedent that suggests Penn State is very likely to lose in court. Essentially, an nonrefundable fee for a service that isn't delivered
I understand the argument but if not getting a refund is a financial hardship, why make the donation in the first place?? If it's not a financial hardship, why not be a real philanthropist and let the donation stand?? I don't have the fine print in front of me but I'm sure somewhere it states NLC dues are non-refundable. Besides, what if an NLC member uses that status to buy tickets for other sporting events?? Does Fenchak feel they should be entitled to a full refund or should it be based on how much of their benefit they used??

I'm far from being a Barbour fan and I realize most people donate simply for access to football tickets. But why donate of you can't afford it?? And if you can afford it, consider it a sunk cost and take satisfaction in helping ICA through a difficult time.

Except there is some precedent in case law that says Penn State is probably going to lose. In a nutshell, a nonrefundable fee that is part of a service or product that is not delivered is illegal.

There is some precedent that suggests Penn State is very likely to lose in court. Essentially, an nonrefundable fee for a service that isn't delivered

Except there is some precedent in case law that says Penn State is probably going to lose. In a nutshell, a nonrefundable fee that is part of a service or product that is not delivered is illegal.
Service charges for tickets are typically not refunded upon event cancellation. I'm not saying right or wrong, just thinking on how ICA might play it.

Penn State is a non-profit. The reason the seat donations are not deductible is due to the IRS lawyers deciding that donations in exchange for a thing of value like a seat license are not "donations"
So if they’re in exchange for a service, which isn’t provided, then shouldn’t they be refundable?

Do you think some people's economic situation might have changed since they made those donations? Sheesh! Put your thinking cap on dude!

Reactions: KanePoster
ADVERTISEMENT