ADVERTISEMENT

Barkley: something the Press is not talking about yet, but I guarantee you they will!!

marisa45

Feb 2, 2007
Some national media dude will run with this tomorrow, mark my words. As long as it isn't Ben Jones.......NFM

No FBS player has ever had 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 receiving in the same year, ever. Brian Westbrook at FCS Villanova was the first and only one to do it. On his current pace Barkley will have 1,564 rushing yards and 1,005 receiving yards in a 12 game season. IF you include a Big Championship Game and possibly a National Title run, I think he does it easily (if he stays healthy--say many prayers), but there is a real chance he gets it done in the regular season which would just be phenomenal. At the NFL level only two players have ever done it.........any guesses???

Roger Craig and Marshall Faulk. Pretty good company.

This may be one of the best records any one player can own and absolute dynamite for any NFL franchise looking to excite their fan base with a draft choice. Could also lend some credence and gravitas to the best ever label, even if that's all it is

Last edited:
Some national media dude will run with this tomorrow, mark my words. As long as it isn't Ben Jones.......NFM

No FBS player has ever had 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 receiving in the same year, ever. Brian Westbrook at FCS Villanova was the first and only one to do it. On his current pace Barkley will have 1,564 rushing yards and 1,005 receiving yards in a 12 game season. IF you include a Big Championship Game and possibly a National Title run, I think he does it (if he stays healthy--say many prayers), but there is a real chance he gets it done in the regular season which would just be phenomenal. At the NFL level only two players have ever done it.........any guesses???

This may be one of the best records any one player can own and absolute dynamite for any NFL franchise looking to excite their fan base based on a draft choice. Could also lend some credence and gravitas to the best ever label, even if that's all it is
I hope you never watch a no-hitter.:)

I hope you never watch a no-hitter.:)
Oh Art, once again what does that even mean?? How many no hitters have there been all time?? What, like 100. We've been looking for a once in a lifetime stat for this kid (besides career hurdles) and this is one you can really sink your teeth into. Once again, you leave me speechless.

Reactions: Sullivan
It's superstition. Cyclists don't talk about flat tires. Don't say things like good thing it's not raining. And I think he means no one talks about a no hitter in the clubhouse.

I think he means Shhhh. Let it happen.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and BBrown
Damn.. Didn't even think about this. If he can pull it off... jesus!

Btw, im pretty sure artsy was talking about not jinx'ing it.

Oh Art, once again what does that even mean?? How many no hitters have there been all time?? What, like 100. We've been looking for a once in a lifetime stat for this kid (besides career hurdles) and this is one you can really sink your teeth into. Once again, you leave me speechless.

Uhhh, it means its "bad luck" to say that. Kind of thought everyone knew this.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Barkley is the Big Ten's leading reciever. I thought that was surprising to hear.

When a pitcher is throwing a no-hitter it is considered very bad luck to mention the no hitter in the dugout, and to a lesser degree, in the stands or at home. Unless you've followed baseball over the years you wouldn't be expected to know the no-hitter/jinx bit.:)

I was just being a smartass, saying that you may have jinxed what you're hoping Barkley accomplishes. Marisa, I share your hopes.:)

Last edited:
Can anyone name the college QB (w/o looking it up on your damn machines) who was the first to throw and run for 1000 yards in the same season?

OMG.......only this board would hijack a thread looking at a completely new slant on Barkley's stats on a pissing match about the misunderstanding of a phrase from another sport (one I haven't followed in 30 years, which no one should follow because its mind numbingly boring). It's like a bunch of drunk uncles all speaking at once.

I was asking my buddy for confirmation because he is a smart ass and messes with me constantly (which I love him for). Confirmation he gladly gave me just a few posts later. The rest of you can pound sand.

And oh yeah, shhh, shhh, Barkley can win the Heisman (we've been keeping that one pretty quiet), shhh, shhh, shhh Barkley is the best ever tailback to play for Penn State (never ever discussed on this board.....more than a 100 Xs that is).......Barkley is a once in a 10 year back, shhh, shhh.. Are you kidding me?

Oy vey, what a salty bunch.

Last edited:

No FBS player has ever had 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 receiving in the same year, ever. Brian Westbrook at FCS Villanova was the first and only one to do it. On his current pace Barkley will have 1,564 rushing yards and 1,005 receiving yards in a 12 game season. IF you include a Big Championship Game and possibly a National Title run, I think he does it easily (if he stays healthy--say many prayers), but there is a real chance he gets it done in the regular season which would just be phenomenal. At the NFL level only two players have ever done it.........any guesses???

This may be one of the best records any one player can own and absolute dynamite for any NFL franchise looking to excite their fan base with a draft choice. Could also lend some credence and gravitas to the best ever label, even if that's all it is

I think as of this weekend, Barkley is the leading receiver in the B1G.

Reactions: marisa45
When a pitcher is throwing a no-hitter it is considered very bad luck to mention the no hitter in the dugout, and to a lesser degree, in the stands or at home. Unless you've followed baseball over the years you wouldn't be expected to know the no-hitter/jinx bit.:)

I was just being a smartass, saying that you may have jinxed what you're hoping Barkley accomplishes. Marisa, I share your hopes.:)
Apparently the jinx doesn't work if you're Dave Cash and the pitcher is trippin'...

Reactions: artsandletters
Russell Wilson? I did not look it up
Surely Vick did this, and precedes Wilson. I doubt he was the first though, back in the day some option heavy offense likely had a QB that ran for 1000 long before Vick.

Edit - so I looked up Vick and Wilson's stats, neither ever ran for 1000 in a season. My new guess is Pat White from the modern era, but I'm still thinking this is someone from long ago that I'm not aware of.

I looked it up to verify it....someone ran and passed for 1000 each in 2000.....that's my guess without googling any more

I'll leave the name out so you guys can ponder some more

Jimmy Sidle of Auburn way back in early 60s.
At least thats my recollection.

Nope. Sidle never passed for more than 800 yards. By his senior season he had a serious shoulder injury and wasn't close to 1,000 yards in total offense.

FWIW, the jinx worked on Curtis Samuel, because around this time last year at least one media outlet was openly speculating about the same thing and Samuel didn't come close on either count.

all right then...Sidle must have been the first qb to rush for over 1000. If not I am throwing away my Street and Smiths from the 60s.

ADVERTISEMENT