ADVERTISEMENT

Barkley just announced he's playing in our Bowl Game

Not the least bit surprised.

I can’t believe Barkley has been here for three years already and that he has taken his final carry at Beaver Stadium. The kid is the epitome of Penn State football on and off the field, and watching the greatest ever to play the position at PSU has been a hell of a good time.

For his own good I hope he changes his mind. Selfishly I want him to play just to see him in our uniforms one more time but that's not what is best for him and his future.

For his own good I hope he changes his mind. Selfishly I want him to play just to see him in our uniforms one more time but that's not what is best for him and his future.

I am sure he meant what he said about wanting to play in the bowl game while still on the adrenaline of a post-game win. However, I would be surprised if it plays out that way.

It wouldn't surprise me that in the days leading up to the bowl game ("after further reflection"), the decision is made that either Saquon doesn't play at all, or plays minimally. The only thing that would surprise me is to see him return kicks, carry the ball 15-20 times, and get another 5-10 touches via the pass.

I think there is enough wiggle room in this issue that he may suit up and start, but quickly be removed from the game by Franklin. Franklin knows what is at stake - a $30 million NFL contract which will provide Saquon and his family financial security for life. Sometimes, parents have to make the "right" decision for their kids, even if the kids don't agree. Franklin would never forgive himself if Saquon blows out a knee and jeopardizes the $30 million contract by playing him in the bowl.

Also, there were further quotes that Saquon said something to the effect "if my teammates didn't want me to play, then I probably wouldn't". His teammates are smart enough to understand what is at stake and they wouldn't want him to jeopardize his top 5 draft position, either.

He's the greatest running back in Penn State football. One more regular season game and then it's time for him to make himself and his family his number one priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: Limestone_Lion
One think I'll say is he doesn't exactly have to "get ready" for the NFL combine like some other prospects. He's already a weight room legend. Seems like these kids in the past that have skipped the bowl game have actually done it to change their workouts just as much as they have to avoid getting hurt in the bowl game. Saquon is already going to test off the charts w/o changing his training at all.
That being said, I'm hoping Franklin doesn't let him play much though in our bowl game.

Reactions: psu skp
As I think about this, it's great that he wants to play in the bowl game, but maybe he shouldn't. Give Sanders and the other backs their shot at negative running plays.

:eek:

Kidding. I love Saquon and all the guys in the Blue and White.

Just think that with all the promise of 26 playing, any opponent will have to practice to defend him. Then all he has to do is be on the field for one play. Barkley has been the ultimate decoy and kept his word.

Why wouldn't he play? If you'd expect him to sit it out, then why shouldn't he sit out the Maryland game? Sit out the rest of the practices?

ADVERTISEMENT