ADVERTISEMENT

Ball State game snap counts, depth development discussion

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Some observations:

- Great to see a good many players get in on the oline. What happened to Whigan after he seemingly lost the battle to Wilson at LG as he didn't play vs B.S. - could he be hurt, or did he pout after he realized that Wilson won the job? Looks like Effner and Holmes were the backup Guards on Saturday.
- Great that Scruggs got some snaps at Center as it seems he is the backup Center and likely to move to Center in 2022.
- Looks like Fashanu and Effner are the backups at OT.
- The MIA "unavailable" players, including Ellis at DB, Beamon at DT and Lovett at RB, were still MIA......
- With Brooks unavailable for the first half and the game pretty much in hand, it was great to see Elsdon get some serious work at Mike/MLB, 24 snaps. Brooks wasn't really needed, and how Elsdon looked when the staff reviewed the film may allow Luketa to focus more on DE.
- Kobe King getting 24 snaps at Will backing up Smith does not preclude him redshirting, but with no other LB playing the position it sure looks like Kobe may be the actual backup to Smith.
- With Katshir backing up Jacobs it was great for Buddin to get some snaps but Buddin still is likely redshirting.
- Ellies and Izzard seem to be the backup DT's, but Mulbah got 20 snaps and from what I saw more than held his own. Have to wonder what's up with Hansard, who was the likely 3rd DT coming into the season but only got 2 plays. Also, van den Berg got 9 snaps, but is still likely headed for a redshirt unless he sets the world on fire in his opportunities.
- I thought Vilbert looked more active at DE, and Fisher got 29 plays which is big for DE depth. Vanover also got 13 plays at DE.
- No surprises at CB, but Rudolph looked pretty active at Safety in his 23 snaps, and Reed gettting 29 snaps at Safety combined with his special teams play likely indicates he is not redshirting.

Some observations:

- Great to see a good many players get in on the oline. What happened to Whigan after he seemingly lost the battle to Wilson at LG as he didn't play vs B.S. - could he be hurt, or did he pout after he realized that Wilson won the job? Looks like Effner and Holmes were the backup Guards on Saturday.
- Great that Scruggs got some snaps at Center as it seems he is the backup Center and likely to move to Center in 2022.
- Looks like Fashanu and Effner are the backups at OT.
- The MIA "unavailable" players, including Ellis at DB, Beamon at DT and Lovett at RB, were still MIA......
- With Brooks unavailable for the first half and the game pretty much in hand, it was great to see Elsdon get some serious work at Mike/MLB, 24 snaps. Brooks wasn't really needed, and how Elsdon looked when the staff reviewed the film may allow Luketa to focus more on DE.
- Kobe King getting 24 snaps at Will backing up Smith does not preclude him redshirting, but with no other LB playing the position it sure looks like Kobe may be the actual backup to Smith.
- With Katshir backing up Jacobs it was great for Buddin to get some snaps but Buddin still is likely redshirting.
- Ellies and Izzard seem to be the backup DT's, but Mulbah got 20 snaps and from what I saw more than held his own. Have to wonder what's up with Hansard, who was the likely 3rd DT coming into the season but only got 2 plays. Also, van den Berg got 9 snaps, but is still likely headed for a redshirt unless he sets the world on fire in his opportunities.
- I thought Vilbert looked more active at DE, and Fisher got 29 plays which is big for DE depth. Vanover also got 13 plays at DE.
- No surprises at CB, but Rudolph looked pretty active at Safety in his 23 snaps, and Reed gettting 29 snaps at Safety combined with his special teams play likely indicates he is not redshirting.

I tried to watch Elsdon closely. He is from my home area. He looked solid but not with the athleticism of Smith or Luketa.

Reactions: GregInPitt
ADVERTISEMENT