ADVERTISEMENT

Bad plane crash in Africa -- Evaluation & Govt. Responses

Multiple witnesses said smoke and debris was coming out of the plane. I'm back to my original post and have to wonder if it wasn't terrorism.

Reactions: Obliviax
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/u-mandate-design-changes-boeing-737-max-8-022511160--finance.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will mandate that Boeing Co implement design changes by April that have been in the works for months for the 737 MAX 8 fleet after a fatal crash in October but said the plane was airworthy and did not need to be grounded after a second crash on Sunday....

The company confirmed it had for several months "been developing a flight control software enhancement for the 737 MAX, designed to make an already safe aircraft even safer."

Yeah, sure... thanks, I'll take the train.

I absolutely hate flying to the point that I get an upset stomach the day I have to fly and I'm usually pretty antsy until we get to cruising altitude. At the same time I'm amazed that I can wake up in the morning on the West Coast and be in Tokyo or somewhere else across the ocean 12 hours later.

I drove a car with "smart cruise control" the other day on an 8 hour drive (4 + 4). You set the cruise to a certain speed. When it comes up on a car in front of you, it slows to that car's speed. It had three variations for distance to the car in front of you....the one that adjusted closest (when your car was closest to the one in front) seemed to be about 60 yards. This was great for a lightly used interstate, but when there was more traffic it was unusable. People would simply cut in front of you and beep their horn if you pulled out too soon and weren't closing as a decent rate of speed (meaning, you ended up in the left lane for a long time, blocking other traffic). At the same time, if you didn't use your blinker, the wheel fought you as you changed lanes. My conclusion was that it was a good start, but cannot account for all of the variables. In addition, the legal department probably has a major say in how the system is set to work to mitigate law suits. I have to suspect the same may be true for Boeing.
I've got one. So far, I like it. 2018 Corolla. You get used to the wheel--but it doesn't fight you that much. You can use it in traffic, but I override it if I'm going to pass. One issue I have is some folks not liking the gap it keeps in front of me. As I don't like tailgating anyway (except on a football Saturday), that's their problem and not mine, as long as I'm in the right lane. They can always pass.

EU grounded the 737 MAX today. Lots of pressure on Boeing. Being a US company, I root for Boeing over Airbus. I hope these crashes weren't Boeing's fault. (having said that, i prefer to fly in Airbus products as, to me, the seats are more comfortable and they feel like they are quieter. Best flight I ever had was in a airbus A380 second floor.

0957189.jpg

EU grounded the 737 MAX today. Lots of pressure on Boeing. Being a US company, I root for Boeing over Airbus. I hope these crashes weren't Boeing's fault. (having said that, i prefer to fly in Airbus products as, to me, the seats are more comfortable and they feel like they are quieter. Best flight I ever had was in a airbus A380 second floor.

0957189.jpg

I love the A380. The 'second floor' is business and first class IIRC. I like the accommodations much better (the big 'catch all' compartment for the window seat in business class is great for accessible storage) and since it's usually a foreign carrier, the service and amenities are usually much better than United. We're supposed to take a 737 MAX to Miami for a trip this spring but my wife is looking to change flights.

American and Southwest pack people in like sardines in their 737 MAXes. The bathrooms are sized similarly. I'm truly surprised that those planes can pass emergency exiting requirements unless the Feds had been paid off.

0957189.jpg
I think you know this, but the airlines spec the seats, not Boeng/Airbus. So you can be in the same seats whether it is a Boeing or an Airbus airframe. Not saying there is anything wrong with your preference, just that it is more airline dependent than airplane manufacturer.
Have you flown the Dreamliner? I haven’t, but it is supposed to be great from a cabin comfort perspective.

I think you know this, but the airlines spec the seats, not Boeng/Airbus. So you can be in the same seats whether it is a Boeing or an Airbus airframe. Not saying there is anything wrong with your preference, just that it is more airline dependent than airplane manufacturer.
Have you flown the Dreamliner? I haven’t, but it is supposed to be great from a cabin comfort perspective.
I didn't know that but the United seats are much more upright on Boeing planes. I have not yet gotten on a 787.

Headline today on the Bloomberg news channel:

Boeing's CRISIS. OF. CONFIDENCE. :eek:

(OUTRAGE. :eek: added by me but understood on Bloomberg.)

"GARA-BOKKA, Ethiopia (Reuters) - The Ethiopian Airlines plane that crashed killing 157 people was making a strange rattling noise and trailed smoke and debris as it swerved above a field of panicked cows before hitting earth, according to witnesses."

Which of their safety issues caused this?

LdN
nobody knows yet. They could also be interrelated. By that, I mean that engine problems combined with other suspected problems with training and on-board aeronautics could have combined to create a deadly cocktail. They'll get to the bottom of it. Nobody is more invested in fixing the problems than Boeing. One more crash of that airframe and that puppy will be toast on the market. in the meantime, more groundings worldwide including 40 airlines.

nobody knows yet. They could also be interrelated. By that, I mean that engine problems combined with other suspected problems with training and on-board aeronautics could have combined to create a deadly cocktail. They'll get to the bottom of it. Nobody is more invested in fixing the problems than Boeing. One more crash of that airframe and that puppy will be toast on the market. in the meantime, more groundings worldwide including 40 airlines.

How much pressure there must be internally and midnight oil burning at Boeing to figure all this out plus make sure this software upgrade due out in April is right/bug free that is supposed to allow the pilots to more easily gain control of the aircraft to avoid what some pilots are saying is happening with computers forcing the nose down.

How much pressure there must be internally and midnight oil burning at Boeing to figure all this out plus make sure this software upgrade due out in April is right/bug free that is supposed to allow the pilots to more easily gain control of the aircraft to avoid what some pilots are saying is happening with computers forcing the nose down.
billions are on the line. I was recruited out of college by a large computer company. In my first year, I was asked to drive to Washington to help the govt/defense division with an RFP response. I got to the office and was given five "bankers boxes". Four other people were also given five boxes. (total of five people, if you are counting) . We were all given separate routes and told to deliver these boxes to a govt office building near downtown washington DC. The RFP response was for a system that was $300m, at the time. The division was concerned that someone would follow a person and run them off the road to try and get in the way of the RFP being delivered on time. So they had five people take separate routes with five complete copies of the response. I've always thought this was nuts but they were deadly serious.

Reactions: Sharkies and bwifan
"GARA-BOKKA, Ethiopia (Reuters) - The Ethiopian Airlines plane that crashed killing 157 people was making a strange rattling noise and trailed smoke and debris as it swerved above a field of panicked cows before hitting earth, according to witnesses."

Which of their safety issues caused this?

LdN
I would not put much substance in eyewitness reports from panicked cows. Moooooove along folks.

Not surprising that Germany, France and England have grounded the Boeing Planes since they make the Airbus Planes. I actually do prefer the Airbus Planes since they do seem to have a little more leg room even though some here have said the airline specs the space but I fly a ton and the Airbus seems more roomy. I do always try to grab the Exit Row seat where there is no seat in front of me for the leg room - poor mans first class.

Any chance it was something simple like a random bird? I know that most airports have ways of ensuring that doesn't happen within a range around the airport. I just wonder if something didn't get sucked up into the engine. Especially since there were reports of smoke/ debris coming from the engine?

Trump just announced that all Boeing Max planes are grounded.

Any currently in air will proceed to their destination.

This is gonna screw up travel for all you jet jockeys. There are a lot of them already in service. And they haven't even opened the black boxes yet to see what happened so don't look for a quick resolution to the mystery of what happened.

At the same time I'm amazed that I can wake up in the morning on the West Coast and be in Tokyo or somewhere else across the ocean 12 hours later.

Technically it's 36 hours later.

I would not put much substance in eyewitness reports from panicked cows. Moooooove along folks.

The cows are using this crash as a means to avoid
Trump just announced that all Boeing Max planes are grounded.

Any currently in air will proceed to their destination.

This is gonna screw up travel for all you jet jockeys. There are a lot of them already in service. And they haven't even opened the black boxes yet to see what happened so don't look for a quick resolution to the mystery of what happened.

In some ways that provides relief to Boeing. Now they can say... FAA says they are safe, we say they are safe but Trump...

Send in the patch.

Fly on.

LdN

Yeah, sure... thanks, I'll take the train.

Cuz there are so many more airline incidents than train incidents in the US.

Knee jerk reaction. I read the ethiopian airlines copilot had 200 flight hours... You aren't sniffing the cockpit in a US commercial jet with 200 flight hours. (FAA requires 1500 hours)

Reactions: wilbury
Southwest has been having issues with their maintenance work, so they can't be happy about grounding the planes. They may not have the planes to keep all their flights.

Read that as well....the pilot had 8,000. He had been flying 737s since 2007.

Doesn't change the fact that the co-pilot was basically a student and wouldn't have been in the cockpit in the us. When the investigations are done it will almost certainly be pilot error that caused the crash. Grounding the fleet is a knee jerk reaction because we live in a world of knee jerk reactions. I flew to Denver on a 737 max on Monday, didn't think twice about it. A commercial plane hasn't had a fatal crash in the US in over a decade, that crash was caused by... wait for it... pilot error. The next fatal crash in the US will be pilot error as well. Fear the pilot not the plane.

Doesn't change the fact that the co-pilot was basically a student and wouldn't have been in the cockpit in the us. When the investigations are done it will almost certainly be pilot error that caused the crash. Grounding the fleet is a knee jerk reaction because we live in a world of knee jerk reactions. I flew to Denver on a 737 max on Monday, didn't think twice about it. A commercial plane hasn't had a fatal crash in the US in over a decade, that crash was caused by... wait for it... pilot error. The next fatal crash in the US will be pilot error as well. Fear the pilot not the plane.
We'll see. I am not making any predictions....meanwhile:

Pilots union backs plan to ground 737 Max planes

From CNN's Ellie Kaufman

The Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l (ALPA) said it supported the Federal Aviation Administration's decision to order a temporary grounding of all Boeing 737 Max aircraft that are operated by US airlines or over US skies.

Meanwhile, the union said it would monitor the situation.

“We strongly encourage the investigative authorities responsible to expedite the investigation of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 and identify any corrective action if necessary in order to return this aircraft to service," the union said in a statement.

We'll see. I am not making any predictions....meanwhile:

Pilots union backs plan to ground 737 Max planes

From CNN's Ellie Kaufman

The Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l (ALPA) said it supported the Federal Aviation Administration's decision to order a temporary grounding of all Boeing 737 Max aircraft that are operated by US airlines or over US skies.

Meanwhile, the union said it would monitor the situation.

“We strongly encourage the investigative authorities responsible to expedite the investigation of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 and identify any corrective action if necessary in order to return this aircraft to service," the union said in a statement.
From what I have heard; Boeing put larger engines on the Max models for better distance. When under full throttle they tend to bring up the nose of the plane so Boeing added the stall warning system that measures the lift on the wings to prevent a stall. So when climbing after take off, the system sometime reads that as a dangerous lift and brings the nose down. Can be corrected by turning off system but pilots need training on this exact model.
The crash in Africa seems different since many people on the ground said the plane was smoking, making weird noises, and had stuff falling off the plane.
Today's action was because new satellite data showed a flight path similar to the wreck five months ago. Maybe the pressures of an out-of-control plane caused the structural damage witnesses saw.
The black boxes were found three days ago yet they have yet to opened. There was a argument as to where to open them; In country, the USA or Europe. I think they are being flown to Europe. Hope the boxes have definitive info so that this can be rectified soon.

From what I have heard; Boeing put larger engines on the Max models for better distance. When under full throttle they tend to bring up the nose of the plane so Boeing added the stall warning system that measures the lift on the wings to prevent a stall. So when climbing after take off, the system sometime reads that as a dangerous lift and brings the nose down. Can be corrected by turning off system but pilots need training on this exact model.
The crash in Africa seems different since many people on the ground said the plane was smoking, making weird noises, and had stuff falling off the plane.
Today's action was because new satellite data showed a flight path similar to the wreck five months ago. Maybe the pressures of an out-of-control plane caused the structural damage witnesses saw.
The black boxes were found three days ago yet they have yet to opened. There was a argument as to where to open them; In country, the USA or Europe. I think they are being flown to Europe. Hope the boxes have definitive info so that this can be rectified soon.
Thanks...the plane has only been in service for less than two years. In that time, two crashes. In addition, several complaints. No matter what the cause, a prudent line of action to ground them until the cause of the two crashes is clear.

Thanks...the plane has only been in service for less than two years. In that time, two crashes. In addition, several complaints. No matter what the cause, a prudent line of action to ground them until the cause of the two crashes is clear.
-
Saw a former NTSB member say he flew last night on one and felt safe. Said US carriers have had much better training on the Max models and knew how to fly them. Said he would fly any US carrier Max plane.

But I agree they need to find out what happened. The fact it was breaking up seems like a very different issue in this crash.

-
Saw a former NTSB member say he flew last night on one and felt safe. Said US carriers have had much better training on the Max models and knew how to fly them. Said he would fly any US carrier Max plane.

But I agree they need to find out what happened. The fact it was breaking up seems like a very different issue in this crash.
Agree....but I also want to get to the bottom of the pilot over ride. In this case, if the plane was breaking up, did the computer hamper their ability to respond? My point being it may well, have been an engine problem, but it may have been able to be addressed by the pilots if not for faulty training, experience and/or aeronautics. Of course, all speculation at this point....we need to know.

Cuz there are so many more airline incidents than train incidents in the US.

Knee jerk reaction. I read the ethiopian airlines copilot had 200 flight hours... You aren't sniffing the cockpit in a US commercial jet with 200 flight hours. (FAA requires 1500 hours)
don't care, not getting on one

you are entitled to your opinion

I am entitled to not care what it is- and I don't

It’s not an opinion. It’s fact. You’re more likely to die eating organic produce and you’re more likely to die in a car accident than you are in a 737 max. You can argue you don’t care about facts. But that’s what they are. Cheers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT