ADVERTISEMENT

Back to Square Zero - Men’s Hoops

That's probably true but you do realize that there is only 1 senior and 1 grad student on the team. The senior starts and the gs hardly plays. People here don't want to accept it but it's still a pretty young team with a pretty bright future.

If Carr and Watkins go pro after this year, what is bright about the future?

Reactions: PSUoh90
The success of Men’s Hockey and Wrestling have probably only diminished MBB interest. Certainly, nothing that is happening on the court is creating interest.
If MBB is actually making money, there may be little incentive to spend that money in an attempt to attract an elite coach if the result is far from guaranteed and the attendance numbers are likely to remain low.

They built a basketball arena that is far too big. Even during the most attended games the BJC is quiet. It provides almost no home court advantage. That isn’t why the team has lost. But it certainly doesn’t help things.

If Carr and Watkins go pro after this year, what is bright about the future?
Most everybody says they stink so how can they possibly go pro. Everybody says Chambers isn't improving the program so how can he possibly have players that can go pro after two years. Can't have it both ways. How about we let the season play out? They are 3-3 and tied for 6th in the big 10. Is that bad? Could it be better? Sure, everybody can always be better. How about we support the team which includes Chambers until the season ends.

By the way, we have a pretty good class coming in next year. Infinitely better than we used to see under prior coaches. Bright future.

Regardless of the performance on the court, the level of talent has gone way up since Chambers took over.

Will be tough to win without Reeves. Not sure how long he is out for. Will need him to have a prayer against the better Big 10 teams. PSU’s next 4 games are winnable. Will need to get a road win or two though. If they can win 3 of 4 it would be a good start.

They are currently on the win one lose one schedule. That won’t cut it. They need to get into top 5 in Big 10.

Reactions: Agoodnap and NC2017
Neither one is ready for the NBA. Maybe Europe, but they should stay and develop their game in college. Carr needs to learn how to shoot, and Watkins isn’t tough enough yet, and commits too many fouls.

I'm sure both will come running to you to ask your opinion about their NBA decisions......

But in reality good players move on from college to the NBA at a rate that does not allow poorly run college teams to utilize their services until their team catches up to their talent. So Pat should make some hay while he has some sunlight... and it's hard to reach the conclusion that he is.

Most everybody says they stink so how can they possibly go pro. Everybody says Chambers isn't improving the program so how can he possibly have players that can go pro after two years. Can't have it both ways. How about we let the season play out? They are 3-3 and tied for 6th in the big 10. Is that bad? Could it be better? Sure, everybody can always be better. How about we support the team which includes Chambers until the season ends.

By the way, we have a pretty good class coming in next year. Infinitely better than we used to see under prior coaches. Bright future.

It's NCAAs or bust for Chambers. Maybe DeChellis has room on the Navy staff.

It's NCAAs or bust for Chambers. Maybe DeChellis has room on the Navy staff.
NCAA's would be great but realistically I think they get close but not selected. This year, the NIT which is much harder to get into than it used to be. The next two years I think the NCAA's are a realistic expectation. After that we will be able to see if Chamber's recruiting improvements are continuing.

NCAA's would be great but realistically I think they get close but not selected. This year, the NIT which is much harder to get into than it used to be. The next two years I think the NCAA's are a realistic expectation. After that we will be able to see if Chamber's recruiting improvements are continuing.

That's not going to be good enough in Year 7 for Chambers. Sorry.

Reactions: YeOldeCup
Tomorrow is pretty much a must-win. Chambers is on really thin ice already but it's hard to see any path towards him staying with a loss tomorrow. Same goes for Northwestern on 1/20 and Rutgers on 1/27. He has to win 3 of the next 4 or there is basically no chance he is retained.

Thanks for the sermon Father John. Do you actually watch the games? Talent better yes. I would rather have you draw up plays on a napkin.

Thanks for the sermon Father John. Do you actually watch the games? Talent better yes. I would rather have you draw up plays on a napkin.
I read that all the time on this board that the team only plays one on one basketball. They never run plays. They have no offensive organization. If all that's true how can they possibly have 2 players in the top 10 in assists in the league which they do. Only other school with 2 is MSU. How is that possible? Maybe you aren't watching the games.

Last edited:
I read that all the time on this board that the team only plays one on one basketball. They never run plays. They have no offensive organization. If all that's true how can they possibly have 2 players in the top 10 in assists in the league which they do. Only other school with 2 is MSU. How is that possible? Maybe you aren't watching the games.
If you want to argue about stats why don't we start with Pat's career record vs the Big Ten? We can move on to other stats once you tackle that one.

If Chambers is gone, which i think is likely unless he reels off a fantastic finish, one thing working in our favor is that the old athletic administration is gone. Their view towards the program was bewildering. Solid coaching candidates seemed to be basically ignored. It was infuriating. My guess is that Sandy will look at Franklin and see a model which works - someone who is from the state/region, worked at multiple P5 programs and is known as a dynamic recruiter and has a winning record. Frankly it is an easy formula but the old guard was either unwilling to try it, or could not figure it out due to sheer stupidity

I'm a big Pat Chambers fan, but I believe he has lost this team. 3 starters have been suspended at some point this season, one of them, Carr, a team leader. If he can't keep his guys focused and engaged, he needs to go. His in game coaching has been weak. I really like the guy and wish he would be successful but he just can't seem to get up the hill.

I believe if there isn't change, I believe we will see a few transfers at seasons end.
3-3 in conference so far with Reaves out vs. Indiana. Won 6 conference games last year with with 4 underclassmen starters.

Um, the reason I said that they should be required to pass 12 credits svery fall and 12 credits every Spring is because 12credits x 2 semesters x 5 years = 120 credits. 120 credits is in the ballpark for a 4 year degree.

With a 12 credit requirement EVERY semester there is zero margin for error. You can't screw up a single course or you're ineligible. That seems unfairly rigid to me.

As a former athlete, albeit quite a long time ago, similar things happened then. Many athletes were taking a class in the summer immediately after their HS graduation to get ahead. It was normally English 15, Econ 2 or 4 or a PE. Spring athletes took 15 or so credits in the fall and 12 in the spring, reverse that for fall and winter athletes. Drop one of the classes and you are down to 9, and that happened quite a bit. You then again took either 1 or 2 classes in the summer and repeat the process until your junior year when classes in your major came in to play. Back then when not as many athletes stayed all year, guys would take classes at one of the branch campuses during the summer to make up the credits close to home. I could not fit in a good time for Chem 14 ( the lab for Chem 12) fall of my freshman year so I took it at Beaver campus along with Chem 13/15 so I got all the Chem out of the way at once that following summer. It was actually a great way to keep the GPA up as well. Its different now but Lar as a great grasp of what is needed and with the requirements of today's athletes, I see no problem with it.

One of the challenges for hoops players is that there is no off semester like there is for football and baseball. The basketball season is split equally between fall and spring semesters so there's no off season to schedule that 15 credit workload.

One of the challenges for hoops players is that there is no off semester like there is for football and baseball. The basketball season is split equally between fall and spring semesters so there's no off season to schedule that 15 credit workload.
True but generally guys I knew they took the extra class in the spring, which could be part of the issue with Reaves. Historically most of the basketball practices that are during second semester are a little less demanding, couple that with weekend games and the season being done by spring break (not sure when that is now), they could catch up over break and in April

How does Chambers suspend Reaves for “ Academic Reasons” when school just started Monday and w/o his D they lose by 4 - time is up for Chambers and our link to Philly players!

i applaud Chambers for his way of running the team. You do the crime; you do the time.

... My guess is that Sandy will look at Franklin and see a model which works - someone who is from the state/region, worked at multiple P5 programs and is known as a dynamic recruiter and has a winning record. Frankly it is an easy formula but the old guard was either unwilling to try it, or could not figure it out due to sheer stupidity

Great. Your formula seems fine. Now, please name the basketball coach that fits your criteria.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
True but generally guys I knew they took the extra class in the spring, which could be part of the issue with Reaves. Historically most of the basketball practices that are during second semester are a little less demanding, couple that with weekend games and the season being done by spring break (not sure when that is now), they could catch up over break and in April

How could that have anything to do with Reaves? Spring term just started. Whatever his issue is, it would be with the Fall semester.

As Uncle Lar said on the first page of this thread, it's an NCAA issue, not something Chambers did on his own. But I do agree with your general sentiments.

I didn't say that. I have NO IDEA what the actual issue is. I'm doing hypotheticals just like everyone else. The only difference is that any hypotheticals that I come up with fit the NCAA rules.

From my post "If Reaves has an incomplete or deferred grade . . . "

Whenever Chambers is replaced I suspect it will be with a coach that the majority of us have never even heard of.....there’s NO WAY a “name” will ever come here to coach in The Pit Of Misery.

Reactions: j.reacher

How could that have anything to do with Reaves? Spring term just started. Whatever his issue is, it would be with the Fall semester.

because he did what I said and took low course load in teh fall

because he did what I said and took low course load in teh fall

Let me understand this right. You think he got in this jam because he took four courses (12 credits) but only managed to pass one? You think he would have been better off taking 15 credits so he'd have better odds of passing two? That's what you're trying to say?

If a kid is struggling to pass courses, I don't see how taking more of them is a good idea.

Excuse me for getting upset at you putting words in my mouth.
I should have put a smiley face on my post. It wasn't meant to be sarcastic, snide, or belittling. You responded in exactly the way I would have expected you to, given that I misinterpreted your words. It's not my nature to be a jerk on this board and I wasn't trying to be. It's on me.

I should have put a smiley face on my post. It wasn't meant to be sarcastic or snide. You responded in exactly the way I would have expected you to, given that I misinterpreted your words. It's not my nature to be a jerk on this board and I wasn't trying to be.
My apologies then.

Who said Watkins "stinks"? Watkins is a very good player and consistent. Players going pro after 2 years when you can't win games is a very bad sign for the coach.

Another loss last night--the future's not that bright. Other coaches got us to the NIT & NCAA....which Chambers has yet to do

ByQSoLU.gif
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT