ADVERTISEMENT

Back to Business

Junglekitty

Feb 15, 2018
The Ohio State thread has kind of got shuffled down and wanted to get "back to business" with the upcoming match. Hopefully Ohio State is in town or in transit and this dual will take place. I have no idea if they have arrived, but I do know it is supposed to get a little sketchy on the roadways starting on the western side of the state later this afternoon. Lets consolidate some predictions here:

125: Heinselman did a good job wrestling Ayala and was able to stay on his offense limiting Ayala's. I think if Heinselman brings the same approach to this match it may end up actually hurting him. While he and Drew are good scramblers, I think Drew's length proves to be the difference in these situations. I don't think Heinselman will want to get underneath Drew, but may be forced. I'm reminded of the Lee vs Eierman final, however, I don't think tOSU will be as confident in Heinselman's offense as Cael and Co are in Nick's and with good reason. I really like Drew in this one, and this one will be important for BIGs seeding as others have mentioned in other posts. 3-0 PSU

133: Rumors have been swirling that RBY is not 100%. If that is true, I'm not sure we see him go here. I wasn't at all concerned of him missing the Iowa dual since that is the biggest dual of the year and we obviously needed him against someone like DeSanto. I don't see every match being as important as it was last week. With that being said, if RBY does go, I'll give him a major, if he doesn't, I think we see Meredith and Koontz with the decision. IMO we see the latter. 3-3 Tie

141: Nick is another one that has missed some time due to protocols and such. He wants to make sure he continues to build his already great pace so that at the end of the year, he can really push for bonus and be able to stay aggressive against top guys like SeaBass or Eierman. I' m going Lee with a major but could also see him pushing for the tech. If I remember correctly D'Emilio has great cardio himself so I think he keeps it to a major 7-3 PSU

149: BB gets another crack at a title contender. He'll have to do a better job on bottom against a guy like Sasso. The good thing, and I've mentioned it before, is BB has tremendous positioning. That will greatly help reduce the risk of the Sasso cradle. The other benefit we have of staying away from the cradle is Sasso usually locks it up scrambling off a shot. BB obviously hasn't been shooting much all year. I thought when BB beat Parco that was going to be the turning point of his season, but that hasn't transpired quite like I thought. He's still a great wrestler and will give Sasso a match, but Sasso is just better at this point. 7-6 PSU

157: The year long question of who goes at 57 continues. I was impressed with BearClaw's match against Young until he got ridden out. If Gardner doesn't make his season debut here, I think BearClaw gets the nod again. He didn't tire out against Young, and since Hubbard isn't as good on top as Young, BearClaw gets the eluding escape he's been after all year. I like BearClaw here. 10-6 PSU

165: This weight is an absolute meat grinder. Kharchla is riding high after his win over Marinelli. I think he's more dynamic on his feet than what he showed in that match, but Marinelli has a way of taking others offense away with his pace. Berge is a good scrambler and tough to take down, but the bull used smart takedowns to avoid those scrambles. I don't think Berge's stamina is quite where it needs to be yet, and that's understandable since he's only been in the line up for a handful of matches. Kharchla is in the top tier of title contenders and gets the win. 10-9 PSU

174: Smith looked good against Kem, but no as good against Massa. He's a good scrambler and wrestler overall but I don't think he poses a real threat to Starocci. Starocci had some trouble finishing on Kem but who doesn't. He was in on a number of good shots and that will continue, but he's able to finish against Smith. I think Starocci takes this one by 3-4 points. 13-9 PSU

184: I noted against Iowa that Brooks looked to tire out about mid match. Watching the match before him, wrestling in Carver, and the dual meet still in question can do that to someone. I think Brooks learned from that and that's scary. Romero has gone to SV against Amine and Assad. This match doesn't make it that far and Brooks wins comfortably. 16-9 PSU

197: Dean continues to worry me. I'm glad he's suiting up for us, but like Cael said in his post match he'd rather Dean not have to come from behind in his matches. Hoffman isn't in the same conversation as Brucki, Caffey, and Warner, so I would expect Dean to go get that first takedown, and use his riding ability to rack up some points. I'm saying Dean is using the momentum from last weekend and is able to major Hoffman. 20-9 PSU

285: Orndorff has only wrestled two guys in the top ten and lost to both of them badly. Parris pinned him and Cass majored him. Kerk is coming off that loss to Cass, but I don't think he wrestled very smart in that match and he wasn't able to get off bottom. Orndorff is no where near the top wrestler Cass is so we can rule that problem out. I also don't think Orndorff is able to stop Kerk's shots so there will be no need to go upper body (I didn't see a need against Cass either, especially twice but he learned). Kerk gets back on the win train and IMO has a little fire under him to get the major. 24-9 PSU

We Are!

Good analysis! I’m not worried about Dean. His last four matches were against four guys ranked in the top 10 and he won three of them. That 3rd period gas tank should help him even more in tournaments.

If there’s a Gas Tank Gary… maybe we have a Diesel Dean?

Reactions: Fatmarc
I would rather Beau get pinned shooting aggressively and then getting cradled by Sasso than lose 2-0 by a rideout where he doesn't attempt a shot.
A lot have said BB is a title contender at 141. I just do see it with how passive he is. Maybe that is all bc of the strength and length issue at 149, but we haven’t seen the opposite to say he will be lights out at 141 either

Agree with you about 125 - I think Hildie handles Heinsel....

Don't really agree about Barraclough... didn't think he looked that great in any of the positions - zero offense AGAIN, got ridden out when starting on bottom and only rode Young for a handful of seconds when starting on top....

Agree with everything else.

Reactions: Ski and Zukovski
If there’s a Gas Tank Gary… maybe we have a Diesel Dean?

I still prefer Mad Max. After all, gas was his thing. Carry gas, chop toecutter.
1vhdwr.jpg

Mineo says Berge and Starocci may not go tonight.
If no Starocci. This match becomes closer.

with no Carter, PSU has 5 heavy favorites at 133,141,184,197,HWT.

tOSU has heavy favorites at 149,165,174

I give PSU the slight edge at 125 and tOSU slight edge at 157. Hoping we see Gardner tonight. If so I give edge to Luke

if tOSU has everything go perfect they get 5/5 split but will lose bonus battle. 133, 141 should put up major bonus for PSU and probably get bonus at 197/HWT. tOSU only bonus at 174

Reactions: tbay165

I give PSU the slight edge at 125 and tOSU slight edge at 157. Hoping we see Gardner tonight. If so I give edge to Luke

if tOSU has everything go perfect they get 5/5 split but will lose bonus battle. 133, 141 should put up major bonus for PSU and probably get bonus at 197/HWT. tOSU only bonus at 174
Gardner not in the match notes, which of course means nothing...

Agree with you about 125 - I think Hildie handles Heinsel....

Don't really agree about Barraclough... didn't think he looked that great in any of the positions - zero offense AGAIN, got ridden out when starting on bottom and only rode Young for a handful of seconds when starting on top....

Agree with everything else.
I agree with your disagreement, to an extent. Given where he was at the beginning of the year to where he is now, I think he is making strides. His troubles on bottom are well noted and IMO the only reason he hasn't started all year. I may be mistaken, but I believe BearClaw was in on a handful of shots against Young. I'm now second guessing myself and want to rewatch the match.

If I am wrong then I am wrong. However, I don't necessarily equate getting better with simply winning matches. Especially against a top 15 guy (intermat has him at 12), and a two time AA. He was competitive until the third when he got ridden out, and like I said, I thought he had a chance at a few takedowns. To me, that is progress.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
My wife just came back from an Allen Street clothing store for granddaughter gift. Cashier wearing PSU wrestling shirt lead to casual conversation. She said he indicated Carter not in action tonight, but did not say the source. Hope we get to watch him on the big stage tonight.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It appears Carter Starocci will be OUT tonight vs. Ohio State after suffering a wrist injury in the wild match vs Kem… Still unclear if Berge will wrestle either. I still have PSU taking the dual, some good matchups! 👍🏻</p>&mdash; The Wrestling Room (Pat Mineo) (@MrPatMineo) <a href="">February 4, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: Dogwelder

Sad Truth, as we all know, is regular season duals are basically meaningless. If there is any validity to the rumors about a wrist injury for Carter, then there’s absolutely no reason for him to wrestle until Bigs. Health for postseason is all that matters.

That said, even if it’s 5-5, we definitely win with bonus points.

WE ARE!!!

Reactions: tbay165
Not a chance in hell Bravo-Young doesn’t go tonight. These types of settings (BJC, nationally televised, rivalry) are the types of environment he lives for, would be shocked to not see him take the mat.

Sad Truth, as we all know, is regular season duals are basically meaningless. If there is any validity to the rumors about a wrist injury for Carter, then there’s absolutely no reason for him to wrestle until Bigs. Health for postseason is all that matters.

That said, even if it’s 5-5, we definitely win with bonus points.

WE ARE!!!
Please don't include me in your "we all know".

Brantt on 247 said Starocci might be out until Big Tens but "nothing serious, he would go if it was Big Ten and nationals" (sounds like Cael talking lol)

I'm with Roar: Don't include me in "...we all know,..." I'm sure Koll and Ryan would agree with Nittanychris.

I'm with Roar: Don't include me in "...we all know,..." I'm sure Koll and Ryan would agree with Nittanychris.
And Cael. Give Carter the month off to get fully healthy for the postseason. That is what matters, not any February Dual.

Reactions: horraybeer
The reality of how wrestling works, Carter has nothing to gain by beating Labriola and Smith. Beating Kemerer has earned him the 1 for Big Tens and how he does there has more bearing on nationals seeding. If he wins it, he's the 1 at NCAAs anyways.

My wife just came back from an Allen Street clothing store for granddaughter gift. Cashier wearing PSU wrestling shirt lead to casual conversation. She said he indicated Carter not in action tonight, but did not say the source. Hope we get to watch him on the big stage tonight.
Can she go back up to the store for follow up questions? 😃

Do we see Manville at 174?

I would rather throw Edsell a few cheeseburgers and reward him by letting him finish out the regular season at 174. The epitome of a team guy. Let Manville go 165l

Given that he hasn't wrestled a single match since 2019, we sure Manville is actively training with the team?

ADVERTISEMENT