ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament Session 2 Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
Session 2 starts at 6 pm EST

TV - none

Video Stream - BTN Plus (see other threads for links to how to subscribe)

Audio Stream:

you can stream that for free at:

http://www.gopsusports.com/collegesportslive/?media=550041

Jeff Byers will start the pre-tournament show at 5:40 pm EST

At the end of Session 1, here are the team scores:

PSU - 70
Ohio St. - 68
Iowa - 55.5
Minny - 52
Mich - 47
Illini - 28.5
Wisky - 28.5
Nebraska - 26
Indy - 20
MSU - 19
Rutgers - 17.5
Maryland - 16.5
Purdue - 7
NW - 4

The number of each team has in the semis is as follows:

PSU - 7
Ohio St - 7
Iowa - 5
Minny - 5
Mich - 5
Illini - 2
Wisky - 2
Nebraska - 2
Indy - 2
MSU - 1
Rutgers - 1
Maryland - 1
Purdue - 0
NW - 0

Suriano's ankle issue has made the team race more competitive. Gulibon dropping into the consolations so quickly is the only surprise for PSU. PSU's bonus point machines are what has them in 1st place.

Session 1 was pretty good for PSU. Here's hoping that Session 2 is also very good for PSU.

I should be around for all of this Session for PBP.

Reactions: Gebmo
Session 2 starts with a round of consolations, correct ?

So will start around 7pm?

Gulibon will be the 1st PSUer to be wrestling this evening. He's the 3rd match to go on Mat 1.

realbuto went for it against preisch which was stoned and RB recovered. great match.... I put this here because it matters for the hall talk when he kicks butt tonight

RB w an E to start 2nd and its 1-0 RB end of 2

RP out quick RT not a factor and its 1-1 with 1:30 to go. IM a RP fan but he should be hit for stalling. hasnt taken a shot yet.

RB gets a HiC to work with a 45 to go. RP right out, and its 3-2 RB

and thats how it ends. 3-2. so if hall wins the Big, probably the 3 seed.

that would be a lightning semi w hall and RB. no fear/high flyers!!!

Reactions: diggerpup
RP out quick RT not a factor and its 1-1 with 1:30 to go. IM a RP fan but he should be hit for stalling. hasnt taken a shot yet.

RB gets a HiC to work with a 45 to go. RP right out, and its 3-2 RB

and thats how it ends. 3-2. so if hall wins the Big, probably the 3 seed.

that would be a lightning semi w hall and RB. no fear/high flyers!!!

Thanks for the update Dunk.

Does Jimmy need at least one win to qualify for nationals? Not sure how that all works if someone could help me out

pretty sure a win in this round of consolations does ensure Jimmy will go to Nationals. If he wants a decent seed at Nationals, he's going to have to win several matches in consolations.

I just checked, and yes, he does need to win this match. If he does, then the worst he can finish is 7th. If he loses, then he'd need an at-large bid.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Does Jimmy need at least one win to qualify for nationals? Not sure how that all works if someone could help me out

It would certainly help. Hopefully he just wins third or a qualifying bout and this isn't thought about further.

It operates on a case-by-case basis, but it's a hard sell to argue that you should go to Nationals instead of guys who outplace you at BIGs, barring certain circumstances (i.e. Injury, exemplary record with a bad day).

The 165 situation the last two years comes to me as a good example. Two years ago, Hammond was a fringe qualifier. If he won a qualifying match, he goes. Instead he loses to Garrett Sutton. He ends up staying home.

Go to last year and Morelli loses to Rhoads. But you look at the landscape, and he had clearly stronger wins over the season than the field. He gets in.

I think his second-half of the year and those wins could save him should that happen.

Well. bad jimmy looks like he is back. My god how did he not get that TD

terrible body language. Carton will destroy him if he makes it out of this match.

Just dismal. What is the one thing you don't do when you start the period on top? Such basic stuff.

Thank god the official is horrific. Should have been stalking on jimmy

ADVERTISEMENT