ADVERTISEMENT

B1G to keep divisions in 2023, will reconfigure in 2024

Probably 2 or 3 "protected" games each year...and then you rotate through the rest of the league. This is news just because other conferences are dropping divisions now...and the Big Ten is letting everybody know it won't happen until 2024. Then, divisions are dead.

Why not? 16-18 games is doable without any problem...got 15 now
My main reason is bc the regular season is becoming less important. I like 8 more, still makes every game important.

Bullcrappolla! ‘Mo money, mo money, mo money!

Where else can they make $50,000,000 .....or what ever they make on it....and get a ton of coverage and publicity.....in just one weekend?
Tons of things "could"--especially if the Big Ten and SEC leave FBS--yeah, I know, you don't think it would happen but there's a ton of money to be had outside of a conference championship game.

My main reason is bc the regular season is becoming less important. I like 8 more, still makes every game important.
It's not less important though
It's infinitely more important for most teams. For example, if we lose Saturday we're playing for pride the rest of the year--which a larger playoff we're still fighting for something. Hell the G5 schools would all finally play important games other than hoping to knock of a P5 to ruin their season or a random thing like Cincinnati last year. There's so many more game that matter the larger the playoffs gets.

Tons of things "could"--especially if the Big Ten and SEC leave FBS--yeah, I know, you don't think it would happen but there's a ton of money to be had outside of a conference championship game.
So? They still have a conference championship game and make a hundred million in a weekend. Winner plays the SEc for a non-FBS title game.

So? They still have a conference championship game and make a hundred million in a weekend. Winner plays the SEc for a non-FBS title game.
Why are you saying a weekend--it's the overall pot
If FOX or ESPN or both come up with enough money they'll consider anything as you well know which could be as simple as the SEC and Big Ten having a 12 team playoff which would bring in WAY more money than 1 title game and the bowls/playoff.

Why are you saying a weekend--it's the overall pot
If FOX or ESPN or both come up with enough money they'll consider anything as you well know which could be as simple as the SEC and Big Ten having a 12 team playoff which would bring in WAY more money than 1 title game and the bowls/playoff.
Or a four game playoff for each conference and then a title game between the two. The two conferences would prefer that to the risk of losing five out of six to the other and being embarrassed.

ADVERTISEMENT