ADVERTISEMENT

B1G to keep divisions in 2023, will reconfigure in 2024

The Big Ten is set keep divisions in 2023 before reconfiguring the football schedule when USC and UCLA arrive in 2024 per The Athletic.
Great, so now we don't just have to worry about Ohio State and Michigan, but also USC to get to the championship game. We better get a home-and-home with them every few years at least.

Great, so now we don't just have to worry about Ohio State and Michigan, but also USC to get to the championship game. We better get a home-and-home with them every few years at least.
U$C immediately moves into favored child status with scUM and O$U when they join. You can bet U$C will play either O$U or scUM or probably both in '24. Refs will be confused on how to call the game.

I'm a little confused about this conference expansion thing. Is this good or bad? Seems like we will now need to push for a 32 team CFP expansion so that we can be included.

Doesn't Michigan's fight song have champions of the west in it? Send those pricks to the west division and give them an annual cross over with Ohio St. Either that or make them change their fight song lyrics.
UCLA and USC will be in the west and someone from the west will have to move over, Purdue if geographical. I would prefer a blow up and split it up with a diagonal line basically from LA to Buffalo. SPlit up USC and UCLA (but keep them as their 1 annual cross over) and then the NW division is USC, Minn, Wisc, Iowa, Neb, NW, MSU, UM.
SE division would be UCLA, Ill, Ind, PU, OSU, PSU, MD , Rutgres. Osu and UM have their annual and others can adjust, who cares about 100 year old trophy games

Reactions: Jerry
UCLA and USC will be in the west and someone from the west will have to move over, Purdue if geographical. I would prefer a blow up and split it up with a diagonal line basically from LA to Buffalo. SPlit up USC and UCLA (but keep them as their 1 annual cross over) and then the NW division is USC, Minn, Wisc, Iowa, Neb, NW, MSU, UM.
SE division would be UCLA, Ill, Ind, PU, OSU, PSU, MD , Rutgres. Osu and UM have their annual and others can adjust, who cares about 100 year old trophy games
I can't see USC and UCLA in different divisions. I say we pick off the best of the ACC and expand in a part if the country that is growing.

I thought USC was further southeast than UCLA

Divisions should not be based on a single sport (or even a few sports) and not be based on the current perceived power structure at one moment in time. I also don't think that they should be fluid. In 100 years, the same divisions should make as much sense as they do today.

That's actually a pretty well balanced split and it allows for the traditional rivals to still play every year.

I think the whole point of what they are saying is that divisions will be kept for 2023 and 2024 onward there will not be divisions anymore. They just felt it was pointless to change for 1 season to a new scheduling paradigm that would shift again in 2024.

Probably 2 or 3 "protected" games each year...and then you rotate through the rest of the league. This is news just because other conferences are dropping divisions now...and the Big Ten is letting everybody know it won't happen until 2024. Then, divisions are dead.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Probably 2 or 3 "protected" games each year...and then you rotate through the rest of the league. This is news just because other conferences are dropping divisions now...and the Big Ten is letting everybody know it won't happen until 2024. Then, divisions are dead.

Pretty much no reason not to do 3 protected/fixed games per team with a 16 team league. 3 fixed games and a 9 game conference schedule means you rotate among the other 12 teams (besides the 3 fixed and your own team) every other year on average. So you can basically play all of those other 12 teams home and away over a 4 year period.

I'm a little confused about this conference expansion thing. Is this good or bad? Seems like we will now need to push for a 32 team CFP expansion so that we can be included.
Adding USC and UCLA doesn't make a lot of sense unless there is a bigger plan in place. I believe there is and I have heard similar things from people at two Big Ten schools. Whether it is good or bad will be determined as it will be decided by who comes along for the ride. Now, what I have heard is rumor, but I do trust who I heard it from on the PSU side at least and it could work out well. Think a Big Ten with no fewer than 20 teams as the smaller scale option and one darn near 40 as the other with a few options in between.

U$C immediately moves into favored child status with scUM and O$U when they join. You can bet U$C will play either O$U or scUM or probably both in '24. Refs will be confused on how to call the game.
Any and every thing that confuses the refs is a good thing.

The Big Ten is set keep divisions in 2023 before reconfiguring the football schedule when USC and UCLA arrive in 2024 per The Athletic.
Does this mean they will finally post a schedule for next season? Which begins in less than ten months? It’s crazy that next year’s schedule has been set yet. People like to make plans..........

hopefully the gigantic B1G demands that its members play more conference games and we eventually lose some of the meaningless ooc games

probably going to lose some meaningless ooc games along with basically all of the meaningful ones.

Because it's no longer necessary. Like you indicated it only exists for revenue.
Do you the Big Ten is going to turn down “free” money? Why would they do that? Not to mention the new network partners are all specifically getting some years of the CCG, sharing it like the networks share the Super Bowl telecasts.

Also for the expanded playoff, the first round byes go to teams that win their conference championship games.

Do you the Big Ten is going to turn down “free” money? Why would they do that? Not to mention the new network partners are all specifically getting some years of the CCG, sharing it like the networks share the Super Bowl telecasts.

Also for the expanded playoff, the first round byes go to teams that win their conference championship games.
No, I don't think they would turn "free" money. If they could make more money by sending additional teams to to the playoffs though it becomes a tougher decisions.

That's for now--things will change quickly when they realize some of the teams getting a bye and a 4th seed shouldn't even be in the playoff or should be a 10-12 seed.

Adding USC and UCLA doesn't make a lot of sense unless there is a bigger plan in place. I believe there is and I have heard similar things from people at two Big Ten schools. Whether it is good or bad will be determined as it will be decided by who comes along for the ride. Now, what I have heard is rumor, but I do trust who I heard it from on the PSU side at least and it could work out well. Think a Big Ten with no fewer than 20 teams as the smaller scale option and one darn near 40 as the other with a few options in between.

Only adding USC and UCLA make financial sense for every member of the conference.

Adding LA to Chicago and NYC is a no brainer.

Reactions: doctornick
Why would they eliminate the Championship Game? It’s a big revenue maker and also good for coverage/publicity.
I'm one of few who wishes that the playoff was set at 8 teams. Still makes every game important, and keeps max playoff games for any team at 3. I dont see how we can keep the regular 13 game season, including Conference championship, plus 3 or 4 more games?

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I'm one of few who wishes that the playoff was set at 8 teams. Still makes every game important, and keeps max playoff games for any team at 3. I dont see how we can keep the regular 13 game season, including Conference championship, plus 3 or 4 more games?
Why not? 16-18 games is doable without any problem...got 15 now

ADVERTISEMENT