ADVERTISEMENT

B1G rumored to be looking at 6 more schools

Also eventually when the B1G and SEC pull away explicitly or by de facto to be the only conferences in college football's largest division, all the money that was going to PAC12, B12, ACC, MWC, will go to the B1G and SEC on top of the money already going there. That will happen when they reach 24'+ teams each.

Reactions: sandiegohawk
I absolutely agree with what you are saying about Cal, Stanford and Virginia. This isn't the college quiz bowl. This is a football conference where the athletes are being paid to play, albeit in a backdoor creative accounting way. Any additions to the conference have to be willing to play that game and make enough of a commitment to be competitive. And when I say competitive I mean with on a SEC level because that is where 'college' football is going at least in the top division. The Big 10 needs to ask itself when considering adding a team does this make our conference stronger? Do they help us match up against the SEC? Just being bigger does not help. Face it, the SEC is the best conference. The Big Ten is number two forget the rest. If the Big Ten improves its quality of football they and the SEC can form their own division and a playoff system for a champion. They will get the prime TV contracts and money and everyone else loses.

There aren't many good candidates left for expansion. That's my take. Oregon, Washington, Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida State, what else? Not much.

I wouldn't worry about this. If the SEC/B1G expand to a certain point and break off, it will be viewed as the preeminent FB competition and the vast majority of top players will want to play in the new league.
Hell, if they did it today, how many top kids do think are going to Clemson where they will compete for NCAA nattys against the ACC and what's left of the PAC12 and BIG12?
IMO, you would see a talent consolidation from the P5 to the new expanded P2. This move makes the quality of FB better. It's not a prerequisite. You could make a case that the B1G/SEC would need to add some mid-tier FB schools with very good basketball programs(ie UNC, UVA) to strengthen that end of the balance sheet and ensure there can be no other competitive conference in the current revenue sports.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Ryoder, good call. Neither Miami nor FSU are AAU schools. Conversely, Florida is an AAU school and fits the profile of a flagship state university like the majority of the B1G schools. While Georgia is not AAU, they fit the B1G profile better than Georgia Tech. I believe I have read that Georgia is on the cusp of AAU eligibility. Joining the B1G, with membership in the Academic Alliance, would certainly raise the profile of both schools. Georgia and Florida would no longer have to go through Alabama to attain a conference championship. It would be a gut punch to the SEC and give the B1G the possibility of having the CCG in SEC country...how about the B1G CCG at Mercedes-Benz stadium in ATL with the SEC championship at Jerrah's World? Wow. Money? Tell me that a conference with USC, UCLA, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Georgia, and Florida would not pull more money than the SEC. This would be a huge win for everyone and cement the B1G as a national conference. Imagine USC vs. Georgia for the B1G championship in ATL.
Games above the Mason-Dixon line in Oct/Nov probably make that a non-starter.

Reactions: bison13
Nebraska is not AAU. I wouldn’t rule out schools based solely on that.
They were when they joined. Rumor has it that another school (Big 12) got them booted out of the AAU on a technicality dealing with their med school, as I recall, because they went to the Big 10.

They were when they joined. Rumor has it that another school (Big 12) got them booted out of the AAU on a technicality dealing with their med school, as I recall, because they went to the Big 10.

I think you’re right that it was a matter of how they classified their med school in the UN system but I forget the exact details. That said, several Big Ten members voted to remove AAU status from Nebraska (Michigan and 2 others IIRC?).

Those Big Ten members had no problem removing AAU status of a fellow conference member so while they like to brag about AAU status- it clearly isn’t mandatory. ;)

I think you’re right that it was a matter of how they classified their med school in the UN system but I forget the exact details. That said, several Big Ten members voted to remove AAU status from Nebraska (Michigan and 2 others IIRC?).

Those Big Ten members had no problem removing AAU status of a fellow conference member so while they like to brag about AAU status- it clearly isn’t mandatory. ;)
I believe the issue was that the med school was not located at the Lincoln campus, so that its funding was not included in the UN Lincoln total, thus dropping its total below the minimum threshold funding amount required for AAU membership. I believe that the funding threshold for AAU membership is periodically adjusted (undoubtedly upward). The PSU med school is also located remotely from University Park. Could this eventually cause a problem for PSU if the Hershey Med school funding is not counted??

Reactions: psu00
$100M exit fee or something like that. Thats roughly one year of revenue in the new B1G.
Nope they all signed over their tv rights til 2036 so any tv money these schools would get from the Big ten goes to the ACC until 2036. They get to keep nothing for themselves, they forfeit it to the ACC.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT