BB Recruiting B1G HOOPS OFFSEASON: Tracking transfers across the conference

87 Penn St8

Feb 11, 2009
Chester County, PA
So between NIL and an open transfer window we are seeing more players like this U of Maryland recruit who will end up attending 4 schools to play 5 seasons (see below).

G Donald Carey -- Georgetown

STATS:
28GS | 33.9mpg | 13.5ppg | 4.4rpg | 2.9apg | 42.4 FG% | 38.8 3P%

NOTES: DMV native. Started at Mt. St. Mary's, then Siena and recently Georgetown.

With coaching changes and no "rules" you will see more and more of it. So far PSU has generally gone with kids who transfer in after attending one prior school. Long ago guys like Greg Bartrum/John Amechi (Vandy)/Glenn Sekunda (Syracuse)/ DJ Newbill (So. Miss) found their way here.

Sam Sessoms will end up attending 3 schools/ as did Brockington. IF academics had anything to do with it you'd assume that Donald Carey would want a degree from Georgetown right? However that part of the equation has little to nothing to do with it.

For me, it will be harder to root for these types of New Team a Year Portal Players. 1 shift seems reasonable- like the guard Llewelyn from Princeton going to Michigan to test his game at the highest level. Had his degree- why not? In a 2017 recruiting interview he said: "My Plan A is to hopefully play professional basketball somewhere, but if that doesn't work out, my Plan B, going to Princeton, is obviously to get a Princeton degree," Llewellyn said. "That can be better than a lot of other peoples' Plan A, so it was just the mix of academics, basketball and setting myself in both ways."

Will Mr. Carey graduate from Maryland? Is he a Terp "at heart?" Will he play pro ball somewhere? Or is he just a hired gun who will end up with nothing to show for his talents after enrolling in 4 different colleges trying to shine? Time will tell. I'd rather not have to think about this stuff....