ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Boone and Beau Bartlett make Dapper Dan

seems down a bit for the USA

Was going to say the same. Definitely not the strongest team USA we’ve seen. I think PA has a great chance to win this year. I love Chase Saldate. No state titles shows how deep CA is. I also think he has jumped levels this year. He has looked absolutely incredible every time I’ve seen him. Wish he would’ve went somewhere other than Michigan State but I guess they are on a slow climb back up after so many dismal years.

PA most likely based upon current weights -- with FR-SO-JR state placements:
120 - Sheldon Seymour, Troy (Lehigh) -- SQ-4-1
126 - Kurtis Phipps, Norwin (Bucknell) -- 7-2-2
132 - Kenny Herrmann, Beca (Harvard) -- 7-4-2
138 - Sam Hillegas, North Hills (VT) -- 1-1-3
145 - Gage McClenahan, BEA (Cornell) -- 7-2-INJ
or Cole Handlovic, Beca (Cornell) -- INJ-6-4
152 - Ed Scott, Dubois (NC State) -- 3-SQ-1
160 - Thayne Lawrence, Frazier (Lehigh) -- 3-1-1
or Andrew Cerniglia, NDGP (Navy) -- 4-INJ-1
170 - Tyler Stoltzfus, St. Joe's (Lock Haven) -- SQ-5-4
182 - Gerrit Nijenhuis, Canon McMillan (Purdue) -- 3-3-1
195 - Gaige Garcia, Southern Columbia (Michigan) -- 5-3-1
220 - Dorian Crosby, Erie Prep (Bucknell) -- INJ-5-4
or Jake Ryan, Mt Union (uncommitted) -- RQ-4-2
or Kolby Flank, Wilson (uncommitted) -- NQ-SQ-5
285 - Hunter Catka, Sun Valley (VT) -- SQ-1-3

Bartlett is at 138, but Dapper Dan has always given preference to PIAA -- and Hillegas is worthy at the same weight.

160 is overloaded -- they could split 160/170 between Lawrence and Cerniglia. Or send the 160 AAA champ at 170 if Ulrey or Nichter. Stoltzfus would also be worthy -- he has beaten Kibe this year.

Last edited:
But USA has two guys listed at 138; so maybe Hillegas and Bartlett ?
Good catch -- that would enable both. We can only hope!

The next best PA 138 would be Kaden Cassidy ... good wrestler but not nearly at the level of Bartlett and Hillegas.

The next best PA 138 would be Kaden Cassidy ... good wrestler but not nearly at the level of Bartlett and Hillegas.

Hopefully no seeding nightmares at PIAAs like we saw with Julian vs Hillegas in a semi, did they fix that Jefe in the rules? TIA, just a general question for all weights as I’m well aware no Beau at state

Reactions: danoftw
Taking a whack at the results:
PA: 138 x2, 152, 170, 182, 195
USA: 120, 126, 132, 145, 160, 220

PA bonus at 182, 195
USA bonus at 132, 220.

No USA entry at 285 yet - but Catka is #2 nationally and a world team member.

Alright, I'm sure this has been discussed 16 million times. Is there a reason it's no longer call "Dapper Dan" anymore? Is "Dapper" not PC? Wouldn't be the first time I'm behind.

Hopefully no seeding nightmares at PIAAs like we saw with Julian vs Hillegas in a semi, did they fix that Jefe in the rules? TIA, just a general question as I’m well aware no Beau at state
That WAS the fix -- to the infamous Pletcher-Sasso quarters.

Fix was to seed the regional champs 1-4 (AA) and 1-5 (AAA) and then do pre-drawn brackets for everyone else. Chlebove got the 5 seed because returning placer points were only for the previous year -- and he was suspended.

Offhand I think the only guy who falls under that scenario this year is McClenahan (returning finalist who missed last year with injury).

Alright, I'm sure this has been discussed 16 million times. Is there a reason it's no longer call "Dapper Dan" anymore? Is "Dapper" not PC? Wouldn't be the first time I'm behind.
Dapper Dan is no longer the event sponsor.

Fix was to seed the regional champs 1-4 (AA) and 1-5 (AAA) and then do pre-drawn brackets for everyone else. Chlebove got the 5 seed because returning placer points were only for the previous year -- and he was suspended.

Offhand I think the only guy who falls under that scenario this year is McClenahan (returning finalist who missed last year with injury).

thanks Jefe, gosh you know your wrestling, I always appreciate the info you drop here

FWIW Cassidy was up 7-3 in the 3rd period over Tal-Shahar at the Journeyman this fall before a big comeback by FTS.

Of the 160’s, I’ll take Cerniglia. Looks the most versatile with the highest ceiling. Should hit Lawrence in the AA bracket which would be a de facto wrestle off for Dapper Dan to go along with a shiny medal.

McClenahan was beaten in district finals. By Eric Gibson, I believe.

Whoever PA has a 220 is getting wrecked. If it wasn't for an acl as a freshman Amos would be WV's first four time undefeated guy. Moved up to HW and teched aaa's best heavy in the first. The same HW who had just lost to Zach Frazier, a top ten HW in the country, 1-0.
Still wish he was teaming up with Adams at wvu damn lol.

McClenahan was beaten in district finals. By Eric Gibson, I believe.
Good info, but by itself won't matter for Dapper Dan. Plenty of guys won states after losing districts ... though IMO Gibson is a much better prospect and probably better today as well.

McClenahan might not make the state finals -- Avery Bassett (who beat Condomitti this year) is also at 145 AA.

Anyway, this is a good reminder for me that BEA dropped to AA -- old habits die hard, keep forgetting that.

Good info, but by itself won't matter for Dapper Dan. Plenty of guys won states after losing districts ... though IMO Gibson is a much better prospect and probably better today as well.

McClenahan might not make the state finals -- Avery Bassett (who beat Condomitti this year) is also at 145 AA.

Anyway, this is a good reminder for me that BEA dropped to AA -- old habits die hard, keep forgetting that.
My post was more about whether McClenahan's state seeding might be effected due to his lost season.
Being at the PSU OSU match, obviously I did not see the Gibson McClenahan match, but I would be surprised if next week sees a reversal in the outcome.

seems down a bit for the USA

This was my thought as well. The USA team seems weaker than usual. It has been a long time since the PA team was able to win this. I think the last time was 2011 when Nico represented PA. I went to that one. The USA team was stacked that year but PA ended up beating them on the back of a couple of upsets including Mike Ottinger over Destin McCauley, Travis Shafer over Hunter Steiber, and Garth Lakitsky over Andrew Campolattano. You also had Nick Hodgkins over Ringer 7-2 in a dismantling.

Taking a whack at the results:
PA: 138 x2, 152, 170, 182, 195
USA: 120, 126, 132, 145, 160, 220

PA bonus at 182, 195
USA bonus at 132, 220.

No USA entry at 285 yet - but Catka is #2 nationally and a world team member.
I disagree with PA getting bonus points at 195 lbs. It might end up at that weight class with USA getting bonus points.

I disagree with PA getting bonus points at 195 lbs. It might end up at that weight class with USA getting bonus points.

Well, USA has two guys going at 195 also, so you could both be sorta correct.

My post was more about whether McClenahan's state seeding might be effected due to his lost season.
Being at the PSU OSU match, obviously I did not see the Gibson McClenahan match, but I would be surprised if next week sees a reversal in the outcome.

Gibson is legit D1 prospect, lil' Gibson even more so and the youngest has a few PJW state titles. His younger cousins are doing "OK" (maybe 8 or 10 PJW titles between them) as well. Need to land the older one to open the pipeline, this will be an important recruit for a bunch of programs for a bunch of reasons.

Only the regional champs get seeded. So it only matters if he wins regionals. Otherwise he gets put into the rest of the pre-drawn bracket.

Seeding is a combo of Win % and Placement Points (I think 50-50 each). If McClenahan wins regionals, he would get zero placement pts, so he would be pretty much guaranteed to be the 4 seed. (Only exception would be if there were another regional champ with no placement points -- injury or transfer type -- with a worse win %.)

Speaking of which -- distinct possibility we have a Steen-Ungar semi at 113 AA. Ungar gets zero placement points for being a NJ state champ last year, so he's locked in as the 4 seed if he wins SE Regionals. Meanwhile, Steen is the highest returning placer.

My guess is that Catka will represent PA at 220. With the DD "weight allowance" this will be no issue. My guess is hes only 235 at most on full feed right now.
We can only hope he fits the weight allowance or it gets waived. If so, suddenly that's a good matchup.

Gibson is legit D1 prospect, lil' Gibson even more so and the youngest has a few PJW state titles. His younger cousins are doing "OK" (maybe 8 or 10 PJW titles between them) as well. Need to land the older one to open the pipeline, this will be an important recruit for a bunch of programs for a bunch of reasons.
Coached by Jake Strayer certainly doesn't hurt our cause. Is Gibson on the level to be looked at by Cael?

Coached by Jake Strayer certainly doesn't hurt our cause. Is Gibson on the level to be looked at by Cael?
He manhandled everybody at Powerade until the finals where he got beat handily by the McNeil (flo ranked first at 145) kid from Wyoming Seminary. His younger brother's talent pretty much mandates Cael bring the older brother into the fold.

Reactions: TangSoo
ADVERTISEMENT