ADVERTISEMENT

Austin bar for Mich St game?

PAstr

May 27, 2010
I get to Austin Friday night and leave Sunday morning. I’m familiar with 6th street and will be staying in he area. Any recommendations for a good place to watch the game?

I get to Austin Friday night and leave Sunday morning. I’m familiar with 6th street and will be staying in he area. Any recommendations for a good place to watch the game?
PAstr,

I get messages from the Central TX Alumni Assoc, with the link below. Parlor and Yard on 6th Street. I have not gone to any game day games since I was treasurer and we went to the Alamo Bowl and beat the Aggies, many years ago (maybe decades). Hope that you have a great and safe trip. I no longer go into downtown Austin. Last time there I met Chickenman Tesla for drinks while watching a wrestling match I believe. Again, have fun.

CENTEX ASSOC

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
PAstr,

I get messages from the Central TX Alumni Assoc, with the link below. Parlor and Yard on 6th Street. I have not gone to any game day games since I was treasurer and we went to the Alamo Bowl and beat the Aggies, many years ago (maybe decades). Hope that you have a great and safe trip. I no longer go into downtown Austin. Last time there I met Chickenman Tesla for drinks while watching a wrestling match I believe. Again, have fun.

CENTEX ASSOC
@CentexLion - hope you are well.
@PAstr - yup, Parlor & Yard at corner of West 6th and Nueces (west 6th is the saner side of 6th). The bar has a nice but small outdoor space with games like corn hole and TVs outside. That intersection has bars on 3 corners (Star Bar and Woodrows are on other corners), so game days are usually hopping as each bar hosts different alum groups - down 6th about a half block away is the LSU bar.

Plenty of food trucks in the area too. If it’s open, head after the game to Ranch 616 on corner of 7th and Nueces. Great tequila drinks and such there. They’ve had really truncated hours because of water damage.

I work 3 blocks away, so it’s my go to place for happy hour.

As said above, Parlor and Yard. Personally I don't go, the local watch party crowd has IMO become much younger and more about socializing than about the game in recent years. Also the few times I have gone it was packed and hard to get a seat in front of a good TV, so go early. Although being a holiday week maybe it will be different. I'm one that likes to watch and hear the games so I'm picky about watch party locations. I know, old man yells at cloud. I miss when the Austin crew went to Mr. Tramps but they haven't been there in several years.

As said above, Parlor and Yard. Personally I don't go, the local watch party crowd has IMO become much younger and more about socializing than about the game in recent years. Also the few times I have gone it was packed and hard to get a seat in front of a good TV, so go early. Although being a holiday week maybe it will be different. I'm one that likes to watch and hear the games so I'm picky about watch party locations. I know, old man yells at cloud. I miss when the Austin crew went to Mr. Tramps but they haven't been there in several years.
I went to the watch party games from 1985 until about 2000. Dr Bryce Jordon attended a few back in the early days after he retired and moved to Austin. We used to meet at a place in around Rock for a few years. Then they moved it to a place in Lakeway near Austin. That was great. Always huge raffles at halftime and my two kids loved going there. David Paterno attended many of the events as he was working for Motorola in Austin at the time. He married one of the girls that always attended and they had children and Sue beckoned them back to PA. I think I have the old man syndrome as well as the places they go to are not family friendly. No children allowed in the bar from 2:00 and after. Watching the game with food and beer and the rug rats running all around was great. I’m not wanting to stand elbow to elbow and watch the game now

hen they moved it to a place in Lakeway near Austin.
Mulligan's. That is where it was when I first started going. It was too far away though. Then they moved to Legends, a terrible sports bar that was in the basement of a hotel near the intersections of MoPac / 183 that I liked to joke about having the world's largest collection of 19" televisions. That place was horrible. I forget where they were immediately after that for a time, which was followed by Mr. Tramps and now Parlor & Yard. For 1 year they had 2 locations, one was for families, but they have since cancelled that one. It was in Mueller I believe, but I never went so I don't know the name of the bar, maybe BD Riley's.

I used to complain they were too much on the side of picking family venues instead of a good bar. But now they've gone the other way with being in the heart of downtown and most of the people attending are recent grads and they've completely driven away the families and older alumni. Maybe it's just me getting older too, lol. I did feel that Mr. Tramps was a good blend of the all age vibe while still being a good bar. They had a nice big screen, private room and good scratch made food and craft beer, and the staff there always took good care of us. I went to more games there than any of the other locations.

Reactions: CentexLion
ADVERTISEMENT