ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn - Hold the toilet paper!

Wandering Spectator

Dec 17, 2017
Chandler, AZ
www.wanderingspectator.com
Here's my write-up of our trip to Auburn.
TLDR: Overall, a great experience and a place to visit for any college football fan. Great fans, awesome environment, beautiful campus, southern hospitality! It reminded us of State College.

TLDR: Overall, a great experience and a place to visit for any college football fan. Great fans, awesome environment, beautiful campus, southern hospitality! It reminded us of State College.

Fantastic review. I have been to Texas A&M, South Carolina and Vanderbilt for games. My son and his HS/college buddies have been to Georgia, Tenneessee, LSU and Mississippi in their tour of SEC games. This year they are going to Auburn for the Auburn vs Texas game. They said every trip has been great and unique and said LSU was most raucous crowd and tailgating was literally in any spot you could find space on campus. They really enjoyed "the Grove" @ Ole Miss. Gave high marks to UGA as well - thought Athens was a great college town.

Reactions: Wandering Spectator
Great place to go. Auburn, or Alabama.
Unfortunately according to CJF, these won’t be scheduled again.

From McGonigals article in PennLive when asked if he would keep these home and homes going

“No. There’s a reason that this is, like, one of the only games that’s been scheduled in the history of the Big Ten,” Franklin explained. “All the data, all the analytics show you gotta do whatever it takes to win your conference. Win your conference. This is going to help us. We’re going to build on it. It was a great experience not only this year for us to improve going forward, but also for the freshmen. So really, any of the freshmen through their hopefully six years at Penn State with the COVID year, they don’t have to play in one of these games again.”

A) his recollection is a bit limited.
B) maybe check the home and homes scheduled by other big programs over the next ten years. They don’t seem to have a problem with it.

and C) happy to have us go back to 11 games on my season tickets if that’s the strategy. Imagine not hoping to have a great game to watch or play.

Southern Hospitality is how they treat you till they pick up your tip, turn their back toward you and what they call you if you stay! ... It ain't pretty!

Southern Hospitality is how they treat you till they pick up your tip, turn their back toward you and what they call you if you stay! ... It ain't pretty!
I lived in South Carolina for over 12 years and never had that feeling or experience. I visit Tennessee (middle TN) often and again do not experience what you are inferring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
I lived in South Carolina for over 19 years and never had that feeling or experience. I visit Tennessee (middle TN) often and again do not experience what you are inferring.
I have no reason to doubt your experience in SC I have lived in Tn for 14 years.
Operated a business here for 13 Years. The Carolinas are quite different... and middle Tn westward is different. Our business stretched across all of the SE. Alabama is a mixed bag. I had to terminate employees because of the outspoken hatred they expressed for 'Yankees' among other employees. Some of them were great producers but our business was and still is genuine hospitality not conartistry. Just reminding Y'all that smile and politeness in your face across a desk or at a table often has a flip side once you leave.

Last edited:
I have no reason to doubt your experience in SC I have lived in Tn for 14 years.
Operated a business here for 13 Years. The Carolinas are quite different... and middle Tn westward is different. Our business stretched across all of the SE. Alabama is a mixed bag. I had to terminate employees because of the outspoken hatred they expressed for 'Yankees' among other employees. Some of them were great producers but our business was and still is genuine hospitality not conartistry. Just reminding Y'all that smile and politeness in your face across a desk or at a table often has a flip side once you leave.
I am sorry to hear about those experiences. I can tell you there were a few times while living in SC I had to stand against racism by a few residents.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
I am sorry to hear about those experiences. I can tell you there were a few times while living in SC I had to stand against racism by a few residents.
Being an ignorant outspoken individual is an inalienable right granted by the laws of our great nation. It exists everywhere, and to pretend there is a place it does not is asinine.

To simplify, redneck observes no geographic nor political boundaries. North/South/East/West - ignorance abounds.

Excellent write up! Thanks for including the Blue Band pre game video! Love them!

Being an ignorant outspoken individual is an inalienable right granted by the laws of our great nation. It exists everywhere, and to pretend there is a place it does not is asinine.

To simplify, redneck observes no geographic nor political boundaries. North/South/East/West - ignorance abounds.
Ignorance abounds but ignorance is not certainly uniformly distributed across all sub-cultures or geographical regions of any country or even a single state. Prevailing Isolation seems to be the common denominator to ignorance wether it be isolation in the mountains or a gated golf community.

Well that is true, but in context we are talking about our experiences in the South. Though I've had to confront racist rhetoric in every part of the country I have lived.

Well that is true, but in context we are talking about our experiences in the South. Though I've had to confront racist rhetoric in every part of the country I have lived.
So have we all ... but the dose varies from region to region, locale to locale.

All week after the big win I have been watching a lot of podcasts of Auburn people on YT (they have a lot of podcasters on YT) and although they're really flogged about the bad loss, all of them, EVERY ONE said how great the PS fans were and how much they enjoyed coming up here last year. As you said in your writeup there are a lot of similarities between us as schools and I even heard one of their podcasters say he would love a recurring H+H with PSU maybe every 5-6 years because of how much they enjoyed it and how great both fan bases are.

It's refreshing. I didn't attend either game but you consider the Auburn fan base who lost both games and still have nothing but great things to say about the two events it's really encouraging. I work with a guy who went last weekend and had a great time and basically echoed everything that was said. No problems, no a-holes, everybody friendly and respectful and nice people. I wouldn't expect any such treatment on the road in the B10.

ADVERTISEMENT