ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance @ B1G football games

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
Not understanding why B1G will not allow 25% attendance at the games. I have watched several college games that have attendees. They are masked and well spread out. Stadiums like the Beav, the Shoe and UM are gigantic stadiums. It would be easy to allow band, cheerleaders, family of players/staff, luxury box attendees and PSU Seniors and still enforce safe social distancing. These other conferences are probably doing temp checks & mask checks prior to stadium entry and enforcing the wear of masks during play.
I haven't seen any mask violations when they pan the crowds. . It can be done. B1G leadership failing on attendance decision.

Not understanding why B1G will not allow 25% attendance at the games. I have watched several college games that have attendees. They are masked and well spread out. Stadiums like the Beav, the Shoe and UM are gigantic stadiums. It would be easy to allow band, cheerleaders, family of players/staff, luxury box attendees and PSU Seniors and still enforce safe social distancing. These other conferences are probably doing temp checks & mask checks prior to stadium entry and enforcing the wear of masks during play.
I haven't seen any mask violations when they pan the crowds. . It can be done. B1G leadership failing on attendance decision.
Agree, Big 10 should be playing now. At least allow senior students and parents in. ACC showing the big 10 how ridiculous they are.

This was the worst year ever to be breaking in a new commissioner for the Big Ten. If Delaney was still around, I think things would have been a little smoother, imo.

I'm hoping that they do for the PSU game as Notre Dame did last week -- every student got a ticket who wanted one, and they were spread out (groups of 1-6 students). Maybe that could help in a very small way to get back some of the tremendous home field advantage we would have had for that game.

Do you have season tickets?

Me neither, but which season ticket holders do you choose to piss off with 25% (more likely 20% after players families and staff families) for four home games? Also, the Steelers, Pirates, Eagles, Phillies, Temple, etc. can't have fans in their stadiums so it ain't gonna happen in PA.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Me neither, but which season ticket holders do you choose to piss off with 25% (more likely 20% after players families and staff families) for four home games? Also, the Steelers, Pirates, Eagles, Phillies, Temple, etc. can't have fans in their stadiums so it ain't gonna happen in PA.

That is a really stupid reason for not having fans, because the fans that don’t get tickets will be mad? Seriously?

That is a really stupid reason for not having fans, because the fans that don’t get tickets will be mad? Seriously?
Do you see what the p×$$ies like you fight over on this board dailey? If you all are so really upset then yeah, it will be an issue. We got B1G football back now its not good enough. SMFH

Last edited:
Agree, Big 10 should be playing now. At least allow senior students and parents in. ACC showing the big 10 how ridiculous they are.

So is the Big12. How many games did they play this weekend again?

Yeah Virginia Tech is really showing em. You know how many games VT played this year?
Not quite sure what your point is. If a team has too many cases they don’t play. It seems to be working. The Big Ten could be playing now and they would have time to make up games lost. VT has time to make up games.

I am guessing the reason that they are not allowing fans is because some states would allow it and some would not and that would be deemed “unfair”. Or “worse” maybe put those Governors in a political position they don’t want to be in - politics is part of all of this whether we like it or not.

I agree with the "all or none" as far as things go, otherwise you have teams A. B and C who have to play in empty stadiums, but then go and play against teams D E and F who are at 25% and then team G and H at 50%..

Which for those bellyaching against the loss of home field advantage due to crowds, would bellyache about even more if PSU was team A B or C in my example.

I agree with the "all or none" as far as things go, otherwise you have teams A. B and C who have to play in empty stadiums, but then go and play against teams D E and F who are at 25% and then team G and H at 50%..

Which for those bellyaching against the loss of home field advantage due to crowds, would bellyache about even more if PSU was team A B or C in my example.

How is that any different than pre covid crowds? Some are full, some are nearly empty

How is that any different than pre covid crowds? Some are full, some are nearly empty

Totally empty vs 40,000 people is quite a bit different from playing infront of 80,000 or 40,000 people.
Playing in an empty stadium is quite a bit different from playing in a stadium with 15,000 students.
I could go on, but in short yes it is quite a bit different.

So far there's been zero evidence of covid spread during games on the field or in the stands at any level of football.

Reactions: MtNittany
That would actually make sense. Hence, not likely to see Big10 to apply it!

iu

Reactions: bdgan
They should let the students attend....plenty of room to spread out 20K. They are already living there, so much less risk that people traveling....no parking, no concessions, just some cheering fans!

Reactions: OhioLion and BBrown
Masking? The experience folks had at Columbus Crew games, which are allowing about 1500 fans, is that a lot of folks did not mask in the stands. My experience in Indianapolis at their zoo last weekend was much the same. About 10% had no masks at all and social distancing was a joke. May folks had masks on, but not over their noses, which defeats the purpose. The place was marked for it where there needed to be lines--but everyone ignored it. Except the staff, who were all following the rules. Supposedly they were limited to 400 visitors. There were a lot more than that. Now, at least it was outdoors. But I'm hoping we didn't catch it.

I am guessing the reason that they are not allowing fans is because some states would allow it and some would not and that would be deemed “unfair”. Or “worse” maybe put those Governors in a political position they don’t want to be in - politics is part of all of this whether we like it or not.
Bingo

They should let the students attend....plenty of room to spread out 20K. They are already living there, so much less risk that people traveling....no parking, no concessions, just some cheering fans!

Pretty much agree about the students and families. I was impressed with the discipline and safety protocols in the stands at Clemson.

Not quite sure what your point is. If a team has too many cases they don’t play. It seems to be working. The Big Ten could be playing now and they would have time to make up games lost. VT has time to make up games.
The only way games can be made up in a bye week is if both teams have off that week. How often does that happen?

The only way games can be made up in a bye week is if both teams have off that week. How often does that happen?
You still have the option of scheduling another opponent which at least gives you a chance for a full resume. Also if you started early you would have time after the scheduled games were completed.

You still have the option of scheduling another opponent which at least gives you a chance for a full resume. Also if you started early you would have time after the scheduled games were completed.

True but even after the season could be a problem if teams had more than one game postponed.

That is why I thought they should have started on 10/10 then play the next 3 weekends, 10/31 would be everyone bye week for make up games, play three more weeks then 11/28 every one off for thanksgiving or make up games..then 3 more games..

Tom “hokey” Wolf would shut it down anyway. 250 people like High School. He rules with an iron fist

ADVERTISEMENT