ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon ranks all the starting QBs -- Trace #3

5 of the top 7 out of the B1G? Athlon thinks highly of B1G QBs heading in to the new season.

The Tua ranking...I know he looked great in one big game...but really? No body of work should not get you an automatic #2 ranking here. However...this is Athlon who usually misses on....all predictions.

He beat the #2 team in the country, which is all Pitt's new QB had to do to lock up the next 6 Heisman trophies.

Reactions: ELDADDY
Where is picksix on this list?
62. Kenny Pickett, Pitt

pittsburgh-panthers.png
Pitt missed out on a bowl for the first time since 2007 last fall. However, last year's record and finish to the season provided optimism for coach Pat Narduzzi. After throwing for 242 yards in a 20-14 loss to Virginia Tech in late November, Pickett earned his first start for the season finale against Miami. The New Jersey native guided the Panthers to an upset victory over the Hurricanes by throwing for 193 yards and a touchdown and rushing for 60 yards and two scores. The sample size on Pickett is limited. However, the impressive finish to 2017 should propel the sophomore to a breakout year in 2018.

62. Kenny Pickett, Pitt

pittsburgh-panthers.png
Pitt missed out on a bowl for the first time since 2007 last fall. However, last year's record and finish to the season provided optimism for coach Pat Narduzzi. After throwing for 242 yards in a 20-14 loss to Virginia Tech in late November, Pickett earned his first start for the season finale against Miami. The New Jersey native guided the Panthers to an upset victory over the Hurricanes by throwing for 193 yards and a touchdown and rushing for 60 yards and two scores. The sample size on Pickett is limited. However, the impressive finish to 2017 should propel the sophomore to a breakout year in 2018.

BREAKOUT. YEAR. :eek:

We'll see.

62. Kenny Pickett, Pitt

pittsburgh-panthers.png
Did you all notice that UCF QB came in at #5. Pitt is looking at 1-3 OOC.

The Tua ranking...I know he looked great in one big game...but really? No body of work should not get you an automatic #2 ranking here. However...this is Athlon who usually misses on....all predictions.

Was thinking the same thing...silly

62. Kenny Pickett, Pitt

pittsburgh-panthers.png

I love the karma of the universe. Pitt fans on the lair are a bunch of D-bag losers, so the universe goes out of it's way to screw with them. An overrated Miami team kept squeaking out wins against crappy competition all season, only to finally having it come crashing down in a meaningless (they had already clinched the ACC title game and had no shot vs Clemson) game against Pitt. So Pitt fans think their team accomplished something and their QB is going to be amazing... but we all know what will really happen.

Funny how a Qb plays 30 minuets and all of a sudden he is the second coming of sliced bread
Agreed. But rise to the top of what's basically an all-star roster, win the confidence of one of the best coaches and organizers of talent there is and get hot at the right time, and you’ll earn the favor of the guys who write because they can’t do.

Is the kid darned good and likely to be great, SURE. But that particular ranking was built on assumptions and limited observation, just like Shea Patterson’s. If that’s how they want to play it, Haskins should be MUCH higher—just like Parsons and that other former OSU recruit tweeted.

That is a Wonder, isn’t it!
Its like a pitcher called up from the minors that pitches 6 innings of four hit ball. The next phenom, they say! Next two starts he gets shelled and sent back.

Fact is, so much of football is done in the film room these days: strengths, weaknesses, tendencies, etc. are plotted and planned. The idea is to funnel the opposition into a manageable area...keep them uncomfortable...know what they are going to do before they know it. Kid looks like a winner but falls into the "we'll see" category.

People care way too much about these things. It's all opinion. I expected the top 3 to be (in some order) Tate (Arizona), Milton (UCF) and Herbert (Oregon) followed by (in some order) McSorley, Lock (Mizzou), Browning (Washington), Grier (WVU), Fromm (UGa) and Finley (NCSU). Tua definitely could end up being the best so I don't understand the anger...this is a projection. McSorley is going to struggle to match the numbers of the other guys mentioned because of the strength of the Big Ten. Same with Patterson, Lewerke, Thorson (assuming he's ready to go), Haskins, Hornibrook, Stanley, etc.

Actually throw Stidham into the second group as well. There's a lot of very good/great QBs this year. Trace being ranked 3 is a good sign and the two ahead of him aren't ridiculous. Projection not past.

Its like a pitcher called up from the minors that pitches 6 innings of four hit ball. The next phenom, they say! Next two starts he gets shelled and sent back.

Fact is, so much of football is done in the film room these days: strengths, weaknesses, tendencies, etc. are plotted and planned. The idea is to funnel the opposition into a manageable area...keep them uncomfortable...know what they are going to do before they know it. Kid looks like a winner but falls into the "we'll see" category.

Obli, I agree with your post 100%.....although for the official record my “Wonder” was referring to the “sliced bread”. Wonder bread has always been my bread of choice for sandwiches. :)

LionJim (see back a couple posts) knows how my mind works.....or tries to work.

Reactions: Obliviax
I won't defend the Big XII defenses (in general--Iowa State was good last year though) but they did play Va Tech and Grier threw for over 350 and 3 scores. Only Clemson put up more points against Va Tech last year. So, a little bit of an unfair statement

Tua played one half of a game, and Grier has not yet played against an actual Division 1 College football defense.

I have Trace #1.

I agree on Trace but Grier looked damn good. I liked the kid before his injury. VA Tech and Ok St Ds were not chopped liver. WVU D was horrible last year so he got little help. I think ranking is high but arguable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT