ADVERTISEMENT

At least the SEC apologized for the mess up already.....

Another SEC crew blew a downed punt call in the Memphis game yesterday that resulted in an apparently dead ball being picked up and run for a TD. The conference said the play should have been reviewed and the score not allowed.
Whoopsie !

Reactions: 91Joe95
Hey Aubourbun WHATS HAPPENING, yeeeeeah, Im gonna need ya to go ahead and come in on a Saturday against Georrrgia, ok. Oh, also, if you could go ahead and come in on a Saturday for A&M and then we can discuss end of regular season plans as well.

The SEC has always had shitty refs. It’s the 1st time I can remember being on the lucky side of most Calls.It’s really fun playing bammer and thUGA with them. It’s a nearly impossible feat.
Every ref has a bias, it’s human nature. My biggest problem is when plays get reviewed and they don’t overturn even obvious errors. I get not wanting to make on the field officials look bad, but something has to overcome the inherent bias by all officials. Rule #1 should be a ref is never allowed to officiate their alma mater.

Reactions: PSU Yinzer
I remember a grounding call like that against psu several years ago. Hack? Trace? I can’t recall. But with all of the football I watch, I’ve never seen that call against any other team.

Reactions: paws1957
Don't forget the non rounding on AU that was clear as day as the QB was NOT outside the tackle box and would have been a HUGE loss of about 20yards, so likely no FG and they have to punt.

IMO that was as egregious as the call on Clifford, which is clearly not the intent of the rule.

The SEC has a lot more to apologize for than not being able to count to four. And isn't the replay official a b1g employee? I expect SEC people not to be able to count to 4, but this is another big problem no one ever wants to talk about. You want us to stop talking about it? Then stop doing it.

Reactions: Achowalogan
I saw a high school game this year when on a quarter change, the refs changed a 4th down to 1st. All the fans, coaches and players were yelling, trying to tell them, but they didn't change it. I talked to one of the refs after the game and he said he knew it was wrong, but it was the head linesman's call. When I suggested he should have said something to the linesman, he said that just isn't the way they do things.

Who supplies the crew that does the chains? I would guess that is handled by a local team from PA? The fact that whoever was changing the marker on the field was wrong a few times during the game......you have one job....

Don't forget the non rounding on AU that was clear as day as the QB was NOT outside the tackle box and would have been a HUGE loss of about 20yards, so likely no FG and they have to punt.

IMO that was as egregious as the call on Clifford, which is clearly not the intent of the rule.
And throat slash. Which was on the training video when it came out. Automatic 15 yards. Except against PSU. Same kid should have been called for taunting later. Great player. But, a DB.

I remember a grounding call like that against psu several years ago. Hack? Trace? I can’t recall. But with all of the football I watch, I’ve never seen that call against any other team.

I remember one way back when we played Florida State in the Orange Bowl, where the refs called intentional grounding on a pass out of the endzone and it gave us a safety. Arguably there was a receiver within 10 yards. That's the only one I can remember going our way

And throat slash. Which was on the training video when it came out. Automatic 15 yards. Except against PSU. Same kid should have been called for taunting later. Great player. But, a DB.
Throat slash and the 15yard roughing penalty where Nix got an Oscar nomination

Refs are prone to mistakes…nobody expects perfection. My problem is that they go to all of the trouble to include technology in the forms of replay and pylon cams and all of the things that allow us to atone for human imperfections, and then hide behind silly rules for when they can use them. Checking the frickin down on a nationally televised broadcast should be an extremely easy thing to do. That they got such a simple part of the game so wrong speaks to either their incompetence or their bias. There are no other explanations.

in 29 years of the Big Ten, have we once received an apology for all the times we got jobbed? I can't recall one time.

Didn't issue an apology issued a statement and explanation. An explanation that included the absurd statement that it was reviewed and confirmed to be 4th Down by Replay Booth!?!? Now seriously, how difficult is it to rewind video to start of series and count 2 plays only being run????

The SEC's nonsensical explanation, lack of apology and lack of how the Officials will be sanctioned is as bad as the call.

Refs are prone to mistakes…nobody expects perfection. My problem is that they go to all of the trouble to include technology in the forms of replay and pylon cams and all of the things that allow us to atone for human imperfections, and then hide behind silly rules for when they can use them. Checking the frickin down on a nationally televised broadcast should be an extremely easy thing to do. That they got such a simple part of the game so wrong speaks to either their incompetence or their bias. There are no other explanations.

According to the articles this morning, the replay booth verified that the previous down was 3rd down. Which of course was wrong. But they didn't think to look at whether that was correct in the first place. Or felt that they couldn't change it. Total morons

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
The SEC has a lot more to apologize for than not being able to count to four. And isn't the replay official a b1g employee? I expect SEC people not to be able to count to 4, but this is another big problem no one ever wants to talk about. You want us to stop talking about it? Then stop doing it.
It's southern speed, SEC refs reach incompetence at a faster rate

in 29 years of the Big Ten, have we once received an apology for all the times we got jobbed? I can't recall one time.
There hasn't been one time. One comment then fire away. Badly officiated game, no doubt. The people who use the word "cheated" let's think about it. The SEC was embarrassed by this game, the crew is in for some serious shit, the SEC doesn't like to be embarrassed in a national game like this. So I am thinking the crew didn't say to themselves "Let's screw over a team we have no skin in the game so we can either lose our jobs or do Vandy games the rest of our lives". Hey, this created some serious cred for us, and at least they did not miss the PI call in the end zone. Great win for us.

There hasn't been one time. One comment then fire away. Badly officiated game, no doubt. The people who use the word "cheated" let's think about it. The SEC was embarrassed by this game, the crew is in for some serious shit, the SEC doesn't like to be embarrassed in a national game like this. So I am thinking the crew didn't say to themselves "Let's screw over a team we have no skin in the game so we can either lose our jobs or do Vandy games the rest of our lives". Hey, this created some serious cred for us, and at least they did not miss the PI call in the end zone. Great win for us.

Honestly it felt like they were just inept. Not anything like the days of Witvoet actively making sure that we could not assemble a winning drive.

Honestly it felt like they were just inept. Not anything like the days of Witvoet actively making sure that we could not assemble a winning drive.
Inept is putting it nicely. Let me throw this out, if the officials in cahoots with the SEC deliberately tried to hose us, it backfired. We win the game anyway, get more cred doing so, and the SEC gets a black eye in a game, although high profile, is not worth the bad press in doing so.

I'm sure there was bias there too. My problem is it seems like refs are looking to make a call that continue a drive or stop one at times against us. A few from the past are the holding call on the OSU center, when they were punting. The holding call on our defensive lineman against Mich State that gave them a 1st down when we stopped them. Both extended drives that ended in scores and definitely changed the outcome of the game. Calls you rarely see but happen regularly in our BIG games.

Reactions: richmin3
I'm sure there was bias there too. My problem is it seems like refs are looking to make a call that continue a drive or stop one at times against us. A few from the past are the holding call on the OSU center, when they were punting. The holding call on our defensive lineman against Mich State that gave them a 1st down when we stopped them. Both extended drives that ended in scores and definitely changed the outcome of the game. Calls you rarely see but happen regularly in our BIG games.
yep. And I didn't really see that last night. The mess up on downs happened early and, although it was the dumbest thing I have ever seen, it didn't turn the game. We likely would have punted anyway unless we picked up 12+ yards on 3rd down.

With B1G crews, especially from the 2000s, you would have seen that PI called on us late.

Reactions: creamery freak
Here are the members of the SEC crew who worked the game. I could find some location information on them, but it was difficult to find it for all of them. At least 2 were from Alabama.

Referee: James Carter - Birmingham, Alabama

Umpire: Russ Pulley - Nashville, Tennessee

Linesman: Ronald Tubbs - Theodore, Alabama

Line judge: Walter Flowers -

Back judge: Dax Hill - Conway, Arkansas

Field judge: Jay Brown -

Side judge: Glen Fucik - ? Texas

Center judge: Ted Pitts - Lexington, South Carolina

yep. And I didn't really see that last night. The mess up on downs happened early and, although it was the dumbest thing I have ever seen, it didn't turn the game. We likely would have punted anyway unless we picked up 12+ yards on 3rd down.

With B1G crews, especially from the 2000s, you would have seen that PI called on us late.
But the grounding penalty should have never been called, so it was potentially a huge double whammy.

Here are the members of the SEC crew who worked the game. I could find some location information on them, but it was difficult to find it for all of them. At least 2 were from Alabama.

Referee: James Carter - Birmingham, Alabama

Umpire: Russ Pulley - Nashville, Tennessee

Linesman: Ronald Tubbs - Theodore, Alabama

Line judge: Walter Flowers -

Back judge: Dax Hill - Conway, Arkansas

Field judge: Jay Brown -

Side judge: Glen Fucik - ? Texas

Center judge: Ted Pitts - Lexington, South Carolina
You sure you spelled Glen ‘s name right?

Reactions: hagberg and GSPMax
Now the bar is pretty high (low?) for the Big 10 refs for next year's game but I think that they can display even greater ineptitude on a national stage.

Reactions: We Are . . .
Now the bar is pretty high (low?) for the Big 10 refs for next year's game but I think that they can display even greater ineptitude on a national stage.
I would bet the farm that they will make this look like a walk in the park.

ADVERTISEMENT