ADVERTISEMENT

***Ask The Staff -- Wednesday Edition***

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Feel free to ask any questions for Nittany Nation’s staff members post your questions about the team, recruiting, or anything else in this thread below. If we don't know the answer, we'll work our hardest to get the best answer possible. Please refrain from commenting on other people's questions and answers, however, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any of our questions.

We will check in on the thread all day long to answer whatever questions you have!

This week’s edition of the ATS will be a free one as we hope to engage with some of the free members of the site to give them a taste of premium!

Feel free to ask any questions for Nittany Nation’s staff members post your questions about the team, recruiting, or anything else in this thread below. If we don't know the answer, we'll work our hardest to get the best answer possible. Please refrain from commenting on other people's questions and answers, however, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any of our questions.

We will check in on the thread all day long to answer whatever questions you have!

This week’s edition of the ATS will be a free one as we hope to engage with some of the free members of the site to give them a taste of premium!
How about doing an interview with Journey Brown and see how he is doing? Was a tremendous player and seemed like a great person. He handled his situation with a lot of class. Would love to know how he is doing, what he learned from it all, how hard it was to give up football.

And along those same lines…..would love to know how Joe the Toe is doing. He was a kicker a few years back that became nationally famous for booming huge kickoffs then running down the field bowling over blockers and making tackles. He also had to give up the sport for health reasons. Hope he is doing well in life as he seemed to be a great guy.

I understand that neither one may want to talk. They may want to keep their private matters private and would respect that decision by either. Just hoping to hear that both are well and enjoying life, where ever it took them.

After watching the B/W game, the offense has the most question marks right now in terms of how they will produce this season. Of the 5 position groups, QB, RB, OL, WR and TE, how would you rank them from strongest to weakest group and why?

After watching the B/W game, the offense has the most question marks right now in terms of how they will produce this season. Of the 5 position groups, QB, RB, OL, WR and TE, how would you rank them from strongest to weakest group and why?

1. RB - When you have not one but two elite running backs, I think it's pretty easy to put them No.1. Adding in Potts for depth is great as well.

2. TE - IF this group can stay healthy, it has the potential to be one of the best rooms once again in the country. I think Theo Johnson may finally have that breakout year while Tyler Warren and the depth has a chance to have nice years.

3. OL - I know the offensive line didn't have the greatest of days in the spring game but I still think this will be the best offensive line of the James Franklin era.

T4. QB - Some may be surprised that I have the QBs this low, and some may not. I truly think the sky is the limit for Drew but we also need to see what he can do as a full-time starter so there is still some uncertainty there. I think there's a good chance he's the quarterback we all think he could be but I'm not going to sit here and say that it's a lock. Beau has a chance of being really good as well but again, need to see it on the field. Smolik is a wait and see.

T4. WR - Adding Cephas to the room his summer will be huge but there's still a lot of uncertainty at the position as well. We know what they're getting in KLS and Harrison Wallace III for the most part but we still need to see how the Cephas transition to Power Five football goes and if players like Omari Evans and Kaden Saunders can carry over good spring performances into the fall.

We know PSU seems to lead for 4 star RB Corey Smith, any other non-committed recruits that you feel particularly good about where PSU stands with them? Any other likely announcements coming up after Smith?

1. RB - When you have not one but two elite running backs, I think it's pretty easy to put them No.1. Adding in Potts for depth is great as well.

2. TE - IF this group can stay healthy, it has the potential to be one of the best rooms once again in the country. I think Theo Johnson may finally have that breakout year while Tyler Warren and the depth has a chance to have nice years.

3. OL - I know the offensive line didn't have the greatest of days in the spring game but I still think this will be the best offensive line of the James Franklin era.

T4. QB - Some may be surprised that I have the QBs this low, and some may not. I truly think the sky is the limit for Drew but we also need to see what he can do as a full-time starter so there is still some uncertainty there. I think there's a good chance he's the quarterback we all think he could be but I'm not going to sit here and say that it's a lock. Beau has a chance of being really good as well but again, need to see it on the field. Smolik is a wait and see.

T4. WR - Adding Cephas to the room his summer will be huge but there's still a lot of uncertainty at the position as well. We know what they're getting in KLS and Harrison Wallace III for the most part but we still need to see how the Cephas transition to Power Five football goes and if players like Omari Evans and Kaden Saunders can carry over good spring performances into the fall.
I think the staff surprised and challenge the OL in the spring game. IIRC, two starters didn't play at all (Fashanu was one). But beyond that, I've never seen a team blitz so much in a practice game. I think Manny & CJF wanted to send a message to the OL that they need to improve over the summer. I think the OL is better than they showed and will be prepared for blitzes come the WVU game.

I think the staff surprised and challenge the OL in the spring game. IIRC, two starters didn't play at all (Fashanu was one). But beyond that, I've never seen a team blitz so much in a practice game. I think Manny & CJF wanted to send a message to the OL that they need to improve over the summer. I think the OL is better than they showed and will be prepared for blitzes come the WVU game.
Great point for sure.

Reactions: Obliviax
A question I remain curious about is the playing time distribution at Mike LB between Elsdon and King. Really hoping King assumes a larger role and gets most of the reps and SOON. Thoughts on this?

We know PSU seems to lead for 4 star RB Corey Smith, any other non-committed recruits that you feel particularly good about where PSU stands with them? Any other likely announcements coming up after Smith?
Wisconsin OL Garrett Sexton is one for sure Still has to visit Oklahoma but Penn State is in a very good spot. Decision set for May 1.

New Jersey WR Jaylan Hornsby is someone I'm watching closely but sounds like he's seeing if any other big offers come in.

Maryland DE Xavier Gilliam I like where they stand - could see this one ending sooner than later but he's been quiet in general.

Also think they're in solid spots for QB Michael Van Buren, WR Jerrae Hawkins, OT Kevin Heywood (another player who could decide sooner than later but seems pretty set to take his OVs), OL Kai Greer, OL William Satterwhite, DE Mylachi WIlliams, and DE Jaylen Harvey among a variety of others. Don't think they land each and every one of those - things always change but I expect them to be at least in the finalist for each of those prospects if they don't land each.

Any buzz on basketball players that we are targeting beyond our former roster/recruits and VCU kids?

Feels like we just went through this...Ground Hog Day!
As I mentioned on the premium board, word is PSU is making a significant push for Temple transfer Zach Hicks and he is set to decide very soon. Other than that, here's our full list of names of guys PSU has reached out to via the portal.

As for high school recruits to keep an eye on, one name would be former VCU commit Tarique Foster. Others are listed in the article below.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
A question I remain curious about is the playing time distribution at Mike LB between Elsdon and King. Really hoping King assumes a larger role and gets most of the reps and SOON. Thoughts on this?
Great question - I thought King definetely played better than Elson for the most part last year. King did tighten the gap as the year went on which I didn't find too surprising since he did play at a much better level in the last six games than the first six or seven in my opinion. As of now, I expect Elsdon to be the starter against WVu but if he struggles and King continues to improve, could see a switch coming.

As they should be. WVU will bring it.

Reactions: Obliviax

Saunders was one of PSU's highest rated recruits ever (27th) so I hope he can break out. Of course Justin Shorter was rated even higher so who knows.

What is the QB succession plan after Allar? Is Pribula going to stay through the '25 season and start one year? Are we recruiting another QB for '24 or is it just the guy from Baltimore?

When I read the question I had the same thoughts, although I had WR as #5. I'm still not totally sold on Wallace from his 2022 production which was spotty. Obviously I didn't see the Spring practices but from the limited highlights of McClain and what Franklin said about him early this Spring I'm hoping to see him as at least the 4th WR, solid in the rotation, as he seems to have the highest big play ability other than KLS.

Can't wait to see Cephus, but that won't happen until the WVU game. Cephus was very productive in the MAC and had decent games against the better teams that he played against as well. But athletically I have a hard time believing he has the upside against B10 competition than what McClain seems to have.

Guess I just talked myself into moving WR up from 5th to a tie for 4th as you have..........;)

Q:
Has there been any indication, from staff comments and/or from observations of practices, that Artis may be ready to burst onto the scene at DT in a way that puts him solidly in the 1 tech rotation?

Lot of names being dropped here on the "free" board!!!

Anyway, do you think Penn State will have an interest in Ole Miss Portal Tywone Malone. DT out of NJ?

Do we think the new WR coach can elevate recruiting? I assume yes to that. On what basis do we think this?

Q:
Has there been any indication, from staff comments and/or from observations of practices, that Artis may be ready to burst onto the scene at DT in a way that puts him solidly in the 1 tech rotation?
I haven't heard a ton of specifics but Artis has been someone who I was told had a good spring and is developing quite well.

Do we think the new WR coach can elevate recruiting? I assume yes to that. On what basis do we think this?
I do think he'll be able to do better at wide receiver coaching than Stubblefield but it will still take some time. They'll never recruit at Ohio State levels but I can see them doing similar things to what Michigan does at the position.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
I do think he'll be able to do better at wide receiver coaching than Stubblefield but it will still take some time. They'll never recruit at Ohio State levels but I can see them doing similar things to what Michigan does at the position.
Marvin Harrison was special for OSU but PSU has done well with players like Dotson, Hamler, Godwin, & Robinson. We need another one of those guys.

Marvin Harrison was special for OSU but PSU has done well with players like Dotson, Hamler, Godwin, & Robinson. We need another one of those guys.
Yes, we definitely need another one of those guys. Don't think KLS is it (meaning a clear B10 #1) but he will be solid for us. Really hoping the WR by committee approach works out and it is productive. Theo and Tyler pose matchup problems and lighten the WR load. They also will loosen up the defenses to let the WRs have some more room. All good news for our offense. We also can utilize Singleton and Allen as pass options in different packages and with their burst and elusiveness that is another option for us and headache for opposing defenses. In summary, with the other receiving targets that Allar has it means defenses can't just lock in on our WRs and shut down our offense.

Reactions: Online Persona
Yes, we definitely need another one of those guys. Don't think KLS is it (meaning a clear B10 #1) but he will be solid for us. Really hoping the WR by committee approach works out and it is productive. Theo and Tyler pose matchup problems and lighten the WR load. They also will loosen up the defenses to let the WRs have some more room. All good news for our offense. We also can utilize Singleton and Allen as pass options in different packages and with their burst and elusiveness that is another option for us and headache for opposing defenses. In summary, with the other receiving targets that Allar has it means defenses can't just lock in on our WRs and shut down our offense.
Agreed however, I would love to have the WR that stretches the field to open up everything underneath. I'm not sure that we have that guy. Maybe somewhat but I hope one or more turn into the guy that can take the top off of the defense because I think Allar has the arm to connect with deep receivers.

Reactions: bdgan
Agreed however, I would love to have the WR that stretches the field to open up everything underneath. I'm not sure that we have that guy. Maybe somewhat but I hope one or more turn into the guy that can take the top off of the defense because I think Allar has the arm to connect with deep receivers.
Agreed. We didn't have that person last year either. Washington & Tinsley were good last year but not so great at getting deep. That's what we need to force defenses to back up and make life easier for the underneath receivers.

Agreed. We didn't have that person last year either. Washington & Tinsley were good last year but not so great at getting deep.
I think Evans and Saunders potentially have that speed but not the size for a contested deep ball. Sounds like the staff thinks KLS and Wallace both have enough speed and athleticism to maybe do it. This new WR from FSU appears to have great size and speed to possibly be that guy. Then there are guys like Meiga that seem to have all of the physical tools but haven't put it together yet.

There are possibilities on this roster to take the top off of the defense, I just don't yet see the guy who has demonstrated it consistently. Maybe they show up during the season? We'll have to wait to find that out.

I think Evans and Saunders potentially have that speed but not the size for a contested deep ball. Sounds like the staff thinks KLS and Wallace both have enough speed and athleticism to maybe do it. This new WR from FSU appears to have great size and speed to possibly be that guy. Then there are guys like Meiga that seem to have all of the physical tools but haven't put it together yet.

There are possibilities on this roster to take the top off of the defense, I just don't yet see the guy who has demonstrated it consistently. Maybe they show up during the season? We'll have to wait to find that out.
Saunders supposedly has the speed but he's only 5' 10" and probably needs to gain weight/strength. He's probably a slot receiver.

Franklin said McClain tested very well which I interpreted as he's faster than they thought, and he's a big, strong WR that showed strong hands. He must not have been making as strong an impression in practice as he needed to in order to be looked at as a true contender for a starting spot, as the end of B/W comments from Franklin didn't show him the love I had hoped for........

Cephus is a wildcard in all this. He could come in and jump to #1 although probably difficult to do that at the beginning of the season given he has not arrived yet.

I am not sure how well Allar throws an accurate deep ball. Hopefully real well and I would suspect he can given how highly rated he is. If he can deliver it on a dime to a guy 40-50 yards downfield then our guy does not need a lot of separation to snag it. As long as they are physical with strong hands and can win the battle. I'm not saying a jump ball but more if we have a half step on the defender.

Evans, Saunders and Wallace are all fast, 4.4 guys right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT