ADVERTISEMENT

AS THE BIRD TURNS

Well since you asked. I just ordered some Wagyu Brisket points from Huntspoint Meats. I was always partial to the burnt ends when I smoke a brisket. Didnt want to mangle the packer cut by removing the point prior to smoking. So now I can try it without fear. Weapon of choice: XL Big Green Egg. Rub: Salt. Black Pepper(50/50 fairly heavy) and a little espresso powder for bark formation. Home made Pale Ale BBQ sauce to toss the Burnt Ends in.
brisket-point-gold-wagyu-huntspoint.jpg

Last edited:
Well since you asked. I just ordered some Wagyu Briskets points from Huntspoint Meats. I was always partial to the burnt ends when I smoke a brisket. Didnt want to mangle the packer cut by removing the point prior to smoking. So now I can try it without fear. Weapon of choice: XL Big Green Egg. Rub: Salt. Black Pepper and a little espresso powder for bark formation. Home made Pale Ale BBQ sauce to toss the Burnt Ends in.

Heavy on the pepper - Texas style? I haven't done a brisket quite yet. And kudos on the Wagyu. That's going to be a juicy azz brisket.

Reactions: hlstone
Well since you asked. I just ordered some Wagyu Briskets points from Huntspoint Meats. I was always partial to the burnt ends when I smoke a brisket. Didnt want to mangle the packer cut by removing the point prior to smoking. So now I can try it without fear. Weapon of choice: XL Big Green Egg. Rub: Salt. Black Pepper and a little espresso powder for bark formation. Home made Pale Ale BBQ sauce to toss the Burnt Ends in.
you know, it's entirely unfair to be sending pics like that around on fridays during lent.

Fine. Let's talk Smoking then. It's Grillin Season.

What are you guys putting on?

I've been really partial to a whole chicken lately. Marinate at least the night before. I'll normally do 2. A greek and a "traditional" smoked chicken.
I've done a couple of chicken halves this year already. I usually brine them overnight but due to poor planning I mixed my brine and injected the birds. I actually preferred those results than the brine marinade.

Reactions: vhsalum
Heavy on the pepper - Texas style? I haven't done a brisket quite yet. And kudos on the Wagyu. That's going to be a juicy azz brisket.
I always go heavy on pepper for both baby back ribs and brisket. I would give out the recipe but I never measure anything. I'll do my best here...

Kosher salt - moderate amount
Black pepper - heavy
Granular onion and garlic - moderate
Cayenne - light
Paprika - moderate
Brown sugar - heavy moderate
Coffee - light

I use that for ribs and brisket. Goal is to make enough to generously season what you're making. Season the day before and refrigerate uncovered. I use hickory and lump charcoal to smoke with.

Brisket isn't hard to make. It just takes time and attention to temps.

Last edited:
I always go heavy on pepper for both baby back ribs and brisket. I would give out the recipe but I never measure anything. I'll do my best here...

Kosher salt - moderate amount
Black pepper - heavy
Granular onion and garlic - moderate
Cayenne - light
Paprika - moderate
Brown sugar - heavy
Coffee - light

I use that for ribs and brisket. Goal is to make enough to generously season what you're making. Season the day before and refrigerate uncovered. I use hickory and lump charcoal to smoke with.

Brisket isn't hard to make. It just takes time and attention to temps.
You are going to be crucified by @WexfordWarrior for that heavy sugar on the brisket!

giphy.gif

You are going to be crucified by @WexfordWarrior for that heavy sugar on the brisket!

giphy.gif
Don't take my word for it.
s6AUiFsPdth90xfNjume_9yGXzF5D6U5yEqAmK8-op8.jpg

He says:

How to Season a Brisket​

• A lot of people use complex rubs for brisket, but Aaron uses equal parts of kosher salt and black ground pepper. The grains of salt sink to the bottom, so you might need to keep mixing it as you're dispensing it.

• "If you had a shaker, it'd be pretty neat." —Aaron Franklin

• Sprinkle an even layer over the entire surface of the brisket on both sides. Aaron says you don't want to overpower the flavor of the meat; be conservative with the rub.

• Let it warm up for about an hour before you put it on the smoker. Aaron thinks it helps the brisket cook more evenly.
All kidding aside I have found the combination of good lump charcoal and Hickory chunks are what I find most appealing about smoked brisket. If it is done right it doesn't really need a sauce. But I like to toss my brisket in sauce lightly (just enough to give it a shine.)

Last edited:
Don't take my word for it.
s6AUiFsPdth90xfNjume_9yGXzF5D6U5yEqAmK8-op8.jpg

He says:

How to Season a Brisket​

• A lot of people use complex rubs for brisket, but Aaron uses equal parts of kosher salt and black ground pepper. The grains of salt sink to the bottom, so you might need to keep mixing it as you're dispensing it.

• "If you had a shaker, it'd be pretty neat." —Aaron Franklin

• Sprinkle an even layer over the entire surface of the brisket on both sides. Aaron says you don't want to overpower the flavor of the meat; be conservative with the rub.

• Let it warm up for about an hour before you put it on the smoker. Aaron thinks it helps the brisket cook more evenly.
All kidding aside I have found the combination of good lump charcoal and Hickory chunks are what I find most appealing about smoked brisket. If it is done right it doesn't really need a sauce. But I like to toss my brisket in sauce lightly (just enough to give it a shine.)
Does that much salt make the bark or outer edge salty? Seems like it would, which is why I shy away from doing heavy salt.

I don't use sauce with mine. I capture the juices and spoon them back over after slicing. I do let the brisket rest after smoking, but some juices always come out.

I haven't tried to make burnt ends yet. I definitely want to.

Does that much salt make the bark or outer edge salty? Seems like it would, which is why I shy away from doing heavy salt.

I don't use sauce with mine. I capture the juices and spoon them back over after slicing. I do let the brisket rest after smoking, but some juices always come out.

Just do it 3-4 days before depending on how thick the brisket is. Gives the salt time to work its way through evenly.

Reactions: PAgeologist

No it doesn't. Just coat it evenly. I would say a moderate coating not heavy. And beef loves salt and pepper. Brisket is a big hunk of meat.
Burnt ends are succulent. The problem is the point cooks at a different rate than the flat. So normally I separate the point and let the flat rest wrapped in peach paper and covered in towels in a cooler (while the point finishes cooking). Now that I found a source for Wagyu points (and flats) I can cook them using different start times.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Lol. Found this funny. Slushy commented about Marinelli taking a job at HWC and insinuated it would be dumb if they were paying him. I assume he was anyway. A Hawk fan then asked Slushy why. Another Hawk fan jumped in with this gem…

CKHawkeye51: Because people don't donate their money to pay someone to watch their wife work...He is saying the majority of people donate to assist people in reaching their post graduate wrestling goals in freestyle.

Lmao

Slush legitimately stating what they need to grow and they tell him to get lost. LOL..
He wasn't saying it was a bad idea to have him there and pay him but to use other money for that.
It's amazing if you have an opinion that you can't band wagon on to they don't like it. What a narrow minded bunch.

Lol. Found this funny. Slushy commented about Marinelli taking a job at HWC and insinuated it would be dumb if they were paying him. I assume he was anyway. A Hawk fan then asked Slushy why. Another Hawk fan jumped in with this gem…

CKHawkeye51: Because people don't donate their money to pay someone to watch their wife work...He is saying the majority of people donate to assist people in reaching their post graduate wrestling goals in freestyle.

Lmao
Yep, some people knew exactly what I was saying and agreed.

Others knew exactly what I was saying and got pissed. @NCHawk55 was so pissed he refused my offer to meet under a bridge in Tennessee.

What raised my eyebrow was Marinelli’s announcement that he was joining the HWC to pursue his “dreams of coaching and possibly competing” (emphasis mine).

With that level of conviction, and being short on funds, the obvious answer should be:

TBfgUrq.png

Right? 🤨

What raised my eyebrow was Marinelli’s announcement that he was joining the HWC to pursue his “dreams of coaching and possibly competing” (emphasis mine).

With that level of conviction, and being short on funds, the obvious answer should be:

TBfgUrq.png

Right? 🤨
I know nothing about it. Someone over there said it was a volunteer position. You should ask Ironturd what kind of money Iowa was paying the Bull all these years so he could support himself and wife while he wrestled and went to school. And now doesn’teven need to take a job that pays him. I mean, he’s going all crazy cuz Nick donated a few bucks to NLWC while being a student athlete. Surely his eyebrow is raised wondering how the Marinelli support themselves on only one income. Lol

Serious question. Monograno vs Martelli?

I know nothing about it. Someone over there said it was a volunteer position. You should ask Ironturd what kind of money Iowa was paying the Bull all these years so he could support himself and wife while he wrestled and went to school. And now doesn’teven need to take a job that pays him. I mean, he’s going all crazy cuz Nick donated a few bucks to NLWC while being a student athlete. Surely his eyebrow is raised wondering how the Marinelli support themselves on only one income. Lol
Another poster on HR wrote something to the effect of 'giving their wrestlers a one-year stipend to get situated post eligibility is common HWC practice, so no real surprise.' I don't know whether it was written tongue in cheek, but I thought it interesting given the alleged RTC promises made by PSU.

In all seriousness how does any one have the funds to buy a house and get married when in college?
Obviously some have family money..
I lived on generic ramen noodles and 3 for a buck mac and cheese.

Reactions: Split shot
I'm so grateful tofu wasn't cheaper than 3 for a buck mac and cheese.
No joke, I'm living on pasta, fresh vege, fresh ramen, and beans. A bit of pork and chicken, but not much. I've yet to find anything better than a Tuscan style pasta and cannellini bean dish.

Reactions: nitlion6
In all seriousness how does any one have the funds to buy a house and get married when in college?
Obviously some have family money..
I lived on generic ramen noodles and 3 for a buck mac and cheese.
I made a deal with one of my kids years ago that if they got a full ride somewhere, I’d buy them a car to have at the school.

I don’t know the Marinelli’s family background; but maybe they’re better off than the McPat’s and saving $120,000+ in tuition by wrestling on scholarship meant they could help him afford a house.

Edit: And the house purchase was prob a better financial decision than just renting for him.

No joke, I'm living on pasta, fresh vege, fresh ramen, and beans. A bit of pork and chicken, but not much. I've yet to find anything better than a Tuscan style pasta and cannellini bean dish.
Well, I've got a nice fillet of monkfish coming up to room temperature right now that when prepared will make you change your mind. I've removed the membrane and seasoned with salt and black pepper. Will cook in olive oil with butter and whole garlic. Bring the heat up to brown the butter and spoon baste over the fish while cooking. I'll finish with some fresh thyme for the last minute or two.

Reactions: hlstone
Well, I've got a nice fillet of monkfish coming up to room temperature right now that when prepared will make you change your mind. I've removed the membrane and seasoned with salt and black pepper. Will cook in olive oil with butter and whole garlic. Bring the heat up to brown the butter and spoon baste over the fish while cooking. I'll finish with some fresh thyme for the last minute or two.
Won't change my mind a bit. Those are simple fresh ingredients. Your oil is to cook. Adding thyme and garlic. That's it. Add some acid, lemon.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan

Lmao
dont worry he is getting paid!!

Yeah, Ironbird really went off the rails when he found out that Cael is not paying recruits for wrestling at PSU, but some wrestlers are in fact throwing a few dollars to NLWC who is his biggest nemesis. This is gold, pure gold.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT