ADVERTISEMENT

AS THE BIRD TURNS

4:15 for me. I've been trying to hit the gym before work this month. It takes some getting used to but I like it. Less people there that early and I don't talk myself out of going after a long day of work.

Plus there is a women's yoga class 3 times a week at 5 am. Yeah I know I'm married but I'm allowed to sneek a peek! 😁 Much better than looking at a naked uncle in a basement like JTS
No pain...no gain!
giphy.gif

I wish I could make it to 5:00AM to pee.
But I'm up at 4:30 every day!
I’ve had this issue resolved, at least for the short term. On 2/11 I had a Nephrostomy tube placed in my right kidney with bag to collect urine due to 2.8cm stone lodged between my kidney and bladder. Been sleeping soundly through the night with half of my “output” collected for me while I wait for my next kidney surgery next week. Then I’ll be right back to the “middle of the night” trips.

I’ve had this issue resolved, at least for the short term. On 2/11 I had a Nephrostomy tube placed in my right kidney with bag to collect urine due to 2.8cm stone lodged between my kidney and bladder. Been sleeping soundly through the night with half of my “output” collected for me while I wait for my next kidney surgery next week. Then I’ll be right back to the “middle of the night” trips.
Do you get buy one get one free coupons for surgery? Jeez.

Okay, so, if you're going to make it, get quality pasta. It really matters. Do not buy fresh pasta. Try DeCecco. I'll post a video of the Italian Master!

I'm not spending that much money on pasta! Same reason I don't buy Monograno. Lol

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
bordeaux, you go DeCecco?

clay makes his own i think. or buys fresh.

why would someone suggest not buying fresh?

bordeaux, you go DeCecco?

clay makes his own i think. or buys fresh.

why would someone suggest not buying fresh?
Why? Because dried pasta is the basis of the creaminess for Alfredo and Carbonara.

KC, I hate it when you come up with the best Christmas Card photo before the rest of us.

Reactions: KCLion
I'd make a nice donation to PSU Wrestling to be one of the food judges between WexfordWarrior who was in the business for two decades against Bordeaux relying on his grandmother's recipe.

Sorry Willie, you didn't make it out if the conference championship.

My taste buds aren't what they used to be. No European portions, I bring my hubcap bowl.

I dont often post on here, I kind of stay in the corner and try to learn more about wrestling; fearful of responding to anything because of my lack of wrestling acumen. I learn so much about the sport from all you guys. In saying that, this one cracked me up!! My two young granddaughters are with us this morning and they're wondering why Bumpa is laughing so much this morning. This one is a classic. Where do you guys find this stuff??

I dont often post on here, I kind of stay in the corner and try to learn more about wrestling; fearful of responding to anything because of my lack of wrestling acumen. I learn so much about the sport from all you guys. In saying that, this one cracked me up!! My two young granddaughters are with us this morning and they're wondering why Bumpa is laughing so much this morning. This one is a classic. Where do you guys find this stuff??
giphy.gif

Why? Because dried pasta is the basis of the creaminess for Alfredo and Carbonara.
Well that's not true. The creaminess comes from starchy pasta water and butter. Fresh pasta has flower in it and is generally dusted in a good amount of flour to keep it from sticking. So fresh pasta will also give you starchy pasta water.

Well that's not true. The creaminess comes from starchy pasta water and butter. Fresh pasta has flower in it and is generally dusted in a good amount of flour to keep it from sticking. So fresh pasta will also give you starchy pasta water.
And the starch comes from the pasta.

Reactions: Split shot
The dark web

Let me settle this. (to a degree) Yes, dried pasta is better for dishes where you need starch water to add salt and starch. The flour that dusts fresh pasta doesn't quite do the same thing. That makes more of a slurry. You can do it, but frankly I have never had the same result when preparing dishes like cacio e pepe, carbonara, or other dishes that rely on the starch water. As far as the al dente bite, you can still get this with fresh pasta, but you need to be quick with the strainer.
With the above mentioned recipes you would never add butter or cream. They aren't part of the deal. In sauces that have extended cooking times like a Bolognese or ragu, you need oil, butter, and the fat from the meat to carry the longer cook time. Olive oil can't handle cook times beyond 30 minutes, it loses its flavor. Then it hands off to the butter and eventually the natural fat. That is what makes a complex sauce that have layers of texture/flavor.
I love fresh pasta with bolognese, ragu, or a quick pomodoro or aglio e olio. It also makes the best lasagna.

Let me settle this. (to a degree) Yes, dried pasta is better for dishes where you need starch water to add salt and starch. The flour that dusts fresh pasta doesn't quite do the same thing. That makes more of a slurry. You can do it, but frankly I have never had the same result when preparing dishes like cacio e pepe, carbonara, or other dishes that rely on the starch water. As far as the al dente bite, you can still get this with fresh pasta, but you need to be quick with the strainer.
With the above mentioned recipes you would never add butter or cream. They aren't part of the deal. In sauces that have extended cooking times like a Bolognese or ragu, you need oil, butter, and the fat from the meat to carry the longer cook time. Olive oil can't handle cook times beyond 30 minutes, it loses its flavor. Then it hands off to the butter and eventually the natural fat. That is what makes a complex sauce that have layers of texture/flavor.
I love fresh pasta with bolognese, ragu, or a quick pomodoro or aglio e olio. It also makes the best lasagna.
I'll add a tidbit to this about "cream." I think Americans get the cream part from places like Olive Garden. Also, American butter does not have the same amount of fat as Italian butter, unless it's farm fresh. I believe our standard is 80%, which is about 3‐4% below Italian.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
I'll add a tidbit to this about "cream." I think Americans get the cream part from places like Olive Garden. Also, American butter does not have the same amount of fat as Italian butter, unless it's farm fresh. I believe our standard is 80%, which is about 3‐4% below Italian.
Yes, I use Butter of Parma primarily for cooking. I use Plugra for baking.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Yes, I use Butter of Parma primarily for cooking. I use Plugra for baking.
I remember the first time I went to Olive Garden in AZ. I was like, wtf is this. I'll have a heart attack looking at it. There had to be a pint of cream in the bowl.

I prefer mine with maple syrup. Am I right @7brwnpsu ?
SoulfulSerpentineArgentineruddyduck-max-1mb.gif

• Haha
Reactions: PASLP2 and 7brwnpsu
I think I figured out who NCHawk5 is - Terry Brands. All the clues are there.

• Zero to crazy at the flip of a switch.
  • Older guy challenging somebody to a physical confrontation, much like he did to Casey Cunningham after a Hawk loss at Carver.
  • NC for national champion.
  • 5 is the number of national championships the Brands brothers won when they wrestled for the Hawks.

Fine. Let's talk Smoking then. It's Grillin Season.

What are you guys putting on?

I've been really partial to a whole chicken lately. Marinate at least the night before. I'll normally do 2. A greek and a "traditional" smoked chicken.

ADVERTISEMENT