ADVERTISEMENT

AS THE BIRD TURNS (IOWA STUFF)

Via insta and twitter it appears that most think it's silly and weird. Maybe they do that in NJ and Robbie just has a big enough platform to bring attention to it, but damn.

Also what's the deal with you guys? Everyone jumps on me, calls me disturbed and attention seeking. You guys are acting like I have insulted and demeaned the kid. I haven't. I didn't say anything bad about Robbie personally. I just think its a silly gesture and I hope it doesn't catch on.
Look, when it comes to some kid leaving his shoes on the mat, I'm choosing to be a leader and not a follower. Others can waste time and energy on something that means so very little in life, I'm not going to. To be honest, I spent way too much time discussing this as it is.. it's just dumb. I actually feel stupid drawing an opinion on what Robbie did which is why I haven't done so already. It's just how I feel...

How am I policing the place? Everyone is getting sensitive about me criticizing the act. I just don't want it to catch on because taking off your shoes actually means something. Next thing you know people will be doing that when they are bowing out of a tournament.
Why are you here?

Some people come here from other teams and add. Others, I just don't understand. Just so awfully miserable when you're here.

Reactions: PASLP2
Why are you here?

Some people come here from other teams and add. Others, I just don't understand. Just so awfully miserable when you're here.
Holy crap guys. Me not liking the shoes thing is making it miserable here? Who is the one making a big deal out of this now? haha

Reactions: Fatmarc
am i the only one who thinks iowa's 125 lb'er was stall riding to conserve energy?
didn't think of it that way, but maybe. I say stalling based on horizontal ride but yea maybe.... he was fighting for wrist control the whole time though.. . so he was working for 'his' move.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
Holy crap guys. Me not liking the shoes thing is making it miserable here? Who is the one making a big deal out of this now? haha

Not even just that, but my goodness, you just won the mini-NCAA and will win it in 2 weeks. If you're not happy enough to be above any fray now, you're just miserable.

Maybe. He did score 16 points. Hard to hit a guy when he is putting up points like that.
Now this I will discuss. That finals match had me thinking about the way Zain Retherford would just maul people on top. His first year he rode people the same way Spencer did yesterday. I laughed thinking back how a huge contingent over on HR would call for stalling on Zain. I didn't hear that from anyone over on HR when Spencer was wrestling.

Goes back to the f#@ing silly shoes. Fans perceptions on things are determined by many things.... Much of it depends on if its "my guy" or "their guy" that's doing it.

why not, as long as they don't smell bad! Sick of the street shoes always being on mat! Also.... how many greats do not get the chance to leave their shoes on the mat. It isn't like everyone does it...

Reactions: hlstone
Not even just that, but my goodness, you just won the mini-NCAA and will win it in 2 weeks. If you're not happy enough to be above any fray now, you're just miserable.
I shouldn't have an opinion because Iowa won? Heaven forbid I have an opinion on content posted. It's not like I even brought it up. Seriously guys, simmer.

Now this I will discuss. That finals match had me thinking about the way Zain Retherford would just maul people on top. His first year he rode people the same way Spencer did yesterday. I laughed thinking back how a huge contingent over on HR would call for stalling on Zain. I didn't hear that from anyone over on HR when Spencer was wrestling.
Both examples are ridiculous. We seriously have people calling for stalling on our most dominant wrestlers when we live in a world where Sammy Sasso exists?

Change of pace, but thought it is worth posting. Ironbird gets a lot of crap(mostly earned) but he posted something I thought that you should see:

guess it is due to how tough the sport is maybe that brings that great respect to it. While you root like crazy against say Penn st., Oklahoma st, etc... In the end, everyone admires great Wrestlers and Wrestling.

The Wrestlers are all pretty humble. even some who you may not expect because you only see them in the heat of battle and may forget they are still young men. I saw Mark Hall for example talking with fans signing kids shirts and stuff and even got to listen to him talking with some fans. I have a greater respect for him now then I did before!

Change of pace, but thought it is worth posting. Ironbird gets a lot of crap(mostly earned) but he posted something I thought that you should see:

guess it is due to how tough the sport is maybe that brings that great respect to it. While you root like crazy against say Penn st., Oklahoma st, etc... In the end, everyone admires great Wrestlers and Wrestling.

The Wrestlers are all pretty humble. even some who you may not expect because you only see them in the heat of battle and may forget they are still young men. I saw Mark Hall for example talking with fans signing kids shirts and stuff and even got to listen to him talking with some fans. I have a greater respect for him now then I did before!
Thats a great post.

Reactions: dsites52
Go to HR and see how much I have even posted there this season. I am not defending someone name calling. I didn't even see that until I came here. I think we can have a discussion about something without it devolving to name calling.
Well one was meant for a small group of people on a msg board and isnt a grand gesture to get attention. The other was meant to be seen by an entire arena and anyone who caught it on video or in a picture. Neither are ideal, but IMO the one that is meant to actually get everyones attention is worse.
No? Okay, maybe defending was too strong of a word. How about "excusing?"

Wrestling is a tough sport, and I am happy even an old homer like Ironbird can gain an appreciation for what warriors these guys are no matter the team. I watched as much of the tournament as I could while attending the Big 12 in Tulsa. I came away impressed with Nebraska as the guys seemed to be in much better shape than in the dual. Iowa looks like a well oiled machine ready to win it going away in a couple of weeks. I still think PSU grabs that number two spot and will be helped by the bigger tournament. ISU qualified 8 guys and wrestled tough, but we have a loooooong way to go to be a top five program once again. Ian Parker is going to be a tough out and is my darkhorse candidate for the top half of the podium He is a poor man's Brent Metcalf. Huge motor and heart without the explosive hips or polished skills.

Reactions: dsites52
I wasn't excusing. I was asked what was better. I simply pointed out the difference.

It's weird to give credit to the people insulting the 18 year old for doing something they didn't like simply because there isn't an arena full of people paying attention to them while they were doing it.

Reactions: danoftw
I'm not sure how it being a big deal would be equivalent to the 8th grade. Want to explain that to me?

Its not a big deal. I never said it was. I just hope it doesn't become a thing.
Sorry I was referring to the " cool" reference. However, based on your subsequent post I understand your feeling it might become a trend which would be annoying. My response is let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

Reactions: russelscout
didn't think of it that way, but maybe. I say stalling based on horizontal ride but yea maybe.... he was fighting for wrist control the whole time though.. . so he was working for 'his' move.
Maybe he is one dimensional and only has that move. Either way thats as horizontal as it gets. The ref clearly told them both to start working. If he rides horizontal the whole time looking for a wrist? Stalling would be what most Iowa fans would argue unless of course it's their wrestler

Reactions: PD4thespawn
It's weird to give credit to the people insulting the 18 year old for doing something they didn't like simply because there isn't an arena full of people paying attention to them while they were doing it.
Not quite giving credit. Its worth acknowledging the context though dont you think?

Not quite giving credit. Its worth acknowledging the context though dont you think?

I think we see the context a little differently.

One was doing something after closing out a high school career with a great accomplishment during a trying year (injury, death of a relative).

One was people insulting him for doing it.

Again, I don't think the second is "better" simply because less people were paying attention to them while they were doing it.

How am I policing the place? Everyone is getting sensitive about me criticizing the act. I just don't want it to catch on because taking off your shoes actually means something. Next thing you know people will be doing that when they are bowing out of a tournament.
Trust this - if Howard were to flip to Iowa, the Iowa fan base would think this was so cool. See DeSanto and Teasdale.

Policing the place was another board inside joke, sorry lol.

It clearly meant something to Robbie, he's leaving one phase of his wrestling career and it's clearly been a tough last few months for Robbie with his shoulder injuries while taking a few losses along the way. He also lost the title last year to Alvarez. Finally, he said he won for his uncle who passed away. Sounds like winning this title meant a lot to him.

EDIT: Also to add on because I know you might say plenty of wrestlers go through adversity and don't leave their shoes on the mat, that's great for them. Everyone expresses things differently.

Wow. Color me surprised this came from the likes of Ironbird. I have a pretty high tolerance for post-match cellys, maybe because one time I gave a left-handed homerun swing after pinning a kid in a meaningless dual. These kids are on an endorphin high and sometimes they get carried away. It just another color on the palette that makes this sport so wonderful.

I dont hate everything PSU. You guys just cant deal with it that this was not very cool and most agree but you guys.

Also how am I visibly disturbed? You looking through my camera over there?

"I AM"...….."STOP TOUCHING YOURSELF"...…….........God

Im the pessimistic hawk fan that gets on here too try too give you guys hope so psu fans haven't thrown in the towel before Minneapolis

Via insta and twitter it appears that most think it's silly and weird. Maybe they do that in NJ and Robbie just has a big enough platform to bring attention to it, but damn.

Also what's the deal with you guys? Everyone jumps on me, calls me disturbed and attention seeking. You guys are acting like I have insulted and demeaned the kid. I haven't. I didn't say anything bad about Robbie personally. I just think its a silly gesture and I hope it doesn't catch on.
The fact you are scrambling all over social media searching for verification of your opinion of a high school kid's public gesture cracks me up. But hey, keep on keeping on. Obviously policing all that is PSU is important to you.

If you would have told me at the beginning of the year that Iowa was going to 50 point PSU at BIG Tens I would have laughed. Young brought zero points this year aswell. Crazy

If you would have told me at the beginning of the year that Iowa was going to 50 point PSU at BIG Tens I would have laughed. Young brought zero points this year aswell. Crazy
If you would have told me that Cassar, Berge,Conel and Nevills would have season ending injuries I would have called you crazy. I then would have said Iowa by 50...

Last edited:

Is this factoring in no Berge or Cassar? Because the guys who wrestled either pretty much wrestled to October expectation or exceeded it.

If you would have told me that Cassar, Berge,Conel and Nevills would have season ending injuries I would have called you crazy. I then would have said Iowa by 50...
Yeah injuries suck. Iowa has had their fair share aswell.

The same posters that are bashing Howard are the same posters who had an orgasm when he visited Iowa and bought an Iowa sweatshirt. Iowa is having a great year and are most likely going to win their first title in 10 years, but posters over there are concerned with the actions of an 18 year old kid.

The fact you are scrambling all over social media searching for verification of your opinion of a high school kid's public gesture cracks me up. But hey, keep on keeping on. Obviously policing all that is PSU is important to you.
I did one search in Twitter. But ya, youre right, scrambling all over. Haha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT