ADVERTISEMENT

AS THE BIRD TURNS (IOWA STUFF)

You can tell by the way he commentates matches. He gets REALLY upset over things. I imagine he goes home and puts on a skin suit and ADS mask and walks around his apartment with his wiener tucked between his legs.
I think if listens to the RBY/AD match he would agree that he should have stuck to more play by play and less analytical statements. His stalling comments were clearly silly and analyst comments not so great.

Proud Hawks... I think not!

Robbie Howard retires

1. MonteHawkeyeSSHR MVP

1 Today at 6:40 PM

2. DonHawkeyeHR MVP

Oh my god. Could this kid be any more unlikeable? Stupidest tradition in almost any sport and now this douche is gonna try to make it a thing when you are not even done.

We could have a lot of fun with this -- for example: our retiree kicked your starter's ass.

I guess I had never heard of a high school kid doing that. If it is a thing, it probably shouldnt be.
The way culture seems to go is that people see a grand-gesture thing, and then everybody wants to do it all the time. For example, I seem to remember that flying a flag at half staff used to be for the greatest of great national sorrows. Now any flag seems to be half staff for one week out of five, and nobody knows why or for whom. And now at every live show, no matter how ordinary, some people want to give a standing ovation. I think I’m getting old and “get off my lawn.” :)

Last edited:
Calling an 18 year old high school kid a "douche" probably shouldn't be, either, but that hasn't stopped your buddies.

So, tell us which is worse?
Well one was meant for a small group of people on a msg board and isnt a grand gesture to get attention. The other was meant to be seen by an entire arena and anyone who caught it on video or in a picture. Neither are ideal, but IMO the one that is meant to actually get everyones attention is worse.

The way culture seems to go is that people see a grand-gesture thing, and then everybody wants to do it all the time. For example, I seem to remember that flying a flag at half staff used to be for the greatest of great national sorrows. Now any flag seems to be half staff for one week out of five, and nobody knows why or for whom. And now at every live show, no matter how ordinary, some people want to give a standing ovation. I think I’m getting old and “get off my lawn.” :)

Oh, we could have a pretty lengthy discourse on standing ovations and audience etiquette at live performances...

In the middle of the mat?
No. Point is some wrestlers see leaving high school as significant and leave things behind like their shoes. Not sure what the big deal is. He left his shoes in the middle of the mat where he put all his efforts the last four years.

Reactions: dsites52
No. Point is some wrestlers see leaving high school as significant and leave things behind like their shoes. Not sure what the big deal is. He left his shoes in the middle of the mat where he put all his efforts the last four years.
It's not a big deal. He hates anything PSU.....I get it. What I don't get though is an adult being visibly disturbed by it without having the awareness to realize the impression he gives off about himself..

Of course it shouldn't be. Well you know, because HR says so.
Bryce Meredith commented: "No hate to him, but this ain't it. LOL"

Richie Lewis: "Why lol"

I wasnt aware those guys posted on HR.

Now you do have the approval of Pat Downey: "weird flex & i like it."

Last edited:
Exactly. It’s just another attention seeking post by Russell.
Ahh yes, bc there are soooooo many. Just another attempt by you guys to discredit the posters in order to ignore the discussion. Weak sauce.

What I don't get, Iowa just dominated B1Gs and are set to dominate NCAAs. Why are they worried that a PSU commit left his shoes on the mat?
Crazy idea.... we celebrate and talk about other things going on at the same time!!!

It's not a big deal. He hates anything PSU.....I get it. What I don't get though is an adult being visibly disturbed by it without having the awareness to realize the impression he gives off about himself..
I dont hate everything PSU. You guys just cant deal with it that this was not very cool and most agree but you guys.

Also how am I visibly disturbed? You looking through my camera over there?

Well one was meant for a small group of people on a msg board and isnt a grand gesture to get attention. The other was meant to be seen by an entire arena and anyone who caught it on video or in a picture. Neither are ideal, but IMO the one that is meant to actually get everyones attention is worse.

Let's be clear - both of these things are meant to get attention.

The people insulting the high school kid simply don't have access to an arena full of people looking at them.

It's kind of funny for people (like us) who follow the careers of high school wrestlers to then complain about "attention seeking behavior" from those high school wrestlers.

I see what Robbie did as something that was obviously meaningful to him. Then there's people who are insulting him for doing it. The choice of "who's worse" here isn't that difficult for me.

I dont hate everything PSU. You guys just cant deal with it that this was not very cool and most agree but you guys.

Yes you do. And by "most"...if you're talking about all those idiots over on HR then I thank you.I was struggling to decide whether to lump you in with them or not. Now I know....

Oh yeah...lastly, figure of speech.

Bryce Meredith commented: "No hate to him, but this ain't it. LOL"

Richie Lewis: "Why lol"

I wasnt aware those guys posted on HR.

Now you do have the approval of Pat Downey: "weird flex & i like it."
Richie Lewis - lololololololololololololol.

Mouthy guy who went from trash-taliking Cenzo and Nolf to fizzling out in the Rd of 12. Then he challenges Bo Nickal to a fight after Bo complained about getting punched all match by Gravina.

That guy is even more stupid than he looks - and that’s saying something as he looks like Cro Magnon man

Reactions: nitlion6
Crazy idea.... we celebrate and talk about other things going on at the same time!!!

While policing BWI at the same time, you really like this board don't you? Truthfully, I actually like your posts for the most part though.

Either way, I don't see what the big deal is with what Howard did. I also couldn't care less if wrestling figures don't like it either, the kid is what 17/18 and just ended his HS career after wrestling injured for his team the last few months, it's emotional.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Yes you do. And by "most"...if you're talking about all those idiots over on HR then I thank you.I was struggling to decide whether to lump you in with them or not. Now I know....

Oh yeah...lastly, figure of speech.
Via insta and twitter it appears that most think it's silly and weird. Maybe they do that in NJ and Robbie just has a big enough platform to bring attention to it, but damn.

Also what's the deal with you guys? Everyone jumps on me, calls me disturbed and attention seeking. You guys are acting like I have insulted and demeaned the kid. I haven't. I didn't say anything bad about Robbie personally. I just think its a silly gesture and I hope it doesn't catch on.

While policing BWI at the same time, you really like this board don't you? Truthfully, I actually like your posts for the most part though.

Either way, I don't see what the big deal is with what Howard did. I also couldn't care less if wrestling figures don't like it either, the kid is what 17/18 and just ended his HS career after wrestling injured for his team the last few months, it's emotional.
How am I policing the place? Everyone is getting sensitive about me criticizing the act. I just don't want it to catch on because taking off your shoes actually means something. Next thing you know people will be doing that when they are bowing out of a tournament.

Via insta and twitter it appears that most think it's silly and weird. Maybe they do that in NJ and Robbie just has a big enough platform to bring attention to it, but damn.

Also what's the deal with you guys? Everyone jumps on me, calls me disturbed and attention seeking. You guys are acting like I have insulted and demeaned the kid. I haven't. I didn't say anything bad about Robbie personally. I just think its a silly gesture and I hope it doesn't catch on.
An 18-year old did something that some people think is silly.
A 30-, 40- 50- something publically calls the 18 year old an "unlikeable douche," his buddies give approval and one of them goes elsewhere to defend it.

Does that about sum it up? I'm trying to decide what side I fall on, and want to make sure I'm capturing it.

Reactions: dsites52
I agree let the kid express his individuality and let it go.

An 18-year old did something that some people think is silly.
A 30-, 40- 50- something publically calls the 18 year old an "unlikeable douche," his buddies give approval and one of them goes elsewhere to defend it.

Does that about sum it up? I'm trying to decide what side I fall on, and want to make sure I'm capturing it.
Go to HR and see how much I have even posted there this season. I am not defending someone name calling. I didn't even see that until I came here. I think we can have a discussion about something without it devolving to name calling.

Cool.... What is this eighth grade. Let the kid be a kid what's the big deal.

am i the only one who thinks iowa's 125 lb'er was stall riding to conserve energy?

Cool.... What is this eighth grade. Let the kid be a kid what's the big deal.
I'm not sure how it being a big deal would be equivalent to the 8th grade. Want to explain that to me?

Its not a big deal. I never said it was. I just hope it doesn't become a thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT