ADVERTISEMENT

As one might expect...the Buccos called up an "arm"

bjf1984

Sep 8, 2014
That marathon last night was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as the Bucco bullpen was concerned.

Buccos called up Josh Wall....and DFA'd Florimon.

There really were not any guys with options left to farm out, so they had to DFA someone.

I assume they will hope Florimon passes waivers, takes an assignment, and rejoins the club as a "glove" in September.

I'm a little surprised they didn't DFA Morse (or possibly Ishi) instead....since Morse's contract all but guarantees he'd pass waivers. With the idea of calling him back in September as well......since Florimon is really the only high quality defensive middle infielder available...and they seem to have a half-dozen first basemen.

Also, just a bit surprised the call up was Wall. He's pitched pretty well out of the Indy pen, but he wasn't on the "40 man", and they could have brought up:

Scahill (who seems to be fully back from his rehab)
Worley (who starting again tomorrow for Indy....so maybe they didn't want to interrupt his "get stretched out" schedule)
Bobby LaFrom
Rad Liz (who is in the starting rotation in Indy, so he's "stretched out"....and he hasn't pitched since Friday....so he'd be fresh)

Might be a case where Wall is only gonna' be up a couple days (until the bullpen can get settled, and Harrison will need to come up)....and they are not worried about having to DFA him at that point (and might be more concerned about losing on of the other guys if they had to "yo-yo" them)

Reactions: fairgambit
The Pirates didn't DFA Morse because they need three first basemen. Four is you count Rodriguez. And since Clint loves to use
pinch runners, Morse will now fill that role.

Reactions: bison13
The Pirates didn't DFA Morse because they need three first basemen. Four is you count Rodriguez. And since Clint loves to use
pinch runners, Morse will now fill that role.
I'd rather have Morse than Floriman. Better bench bat. Also heard that Travis Snider has agreed to a minor league contract with the Pirates. Look for him in September if not sooner.

Morse can actually hit a bit when healthy, Florimon can't. The Dodgers already picked up almost all of Morse's contract, so that's not an issue.

Morse can actually hit a bit when healthy, Florimon can't. The Dodgers already picked up almost all of Morse's contract, so that's not an issue.
Actually...the Buccos and Dodgers pushed some money (a few million from LA to Pittsburgh) to even out Morse and Tabata's contract.
But the issue I was talking about wrt Morse's contract was that no one would claim him if the did DFA him - since no one they would even think about picking up the $2-3 Million still owed to him for this year...and he would surely clear waivers. I expect that Florimon will as well - but in that case there is at least the possibility that a contender in need of a back up glove man MIGHT grab him (since he is a "league minimum" guy).

Actually...the Buccos and Dodgers pushed some money (a few million from LA to Pittsburgh) to even out Morse and Tabata's contract.
But the issue I was talking about wrt Morse's contract was that no one would claim him if the did DFA him - since no one they would even think about picking up the $2-3 Million still owed to him for this year...and he would surely clear waivers. I expect that Florimon will as well - but in that case there is at least the possibility that a contender in need of a back up glove man MIGHT grab him (since he is a "league minimum" guy).

I don't think anybody will pick up Florimon. It was nice for him to get the walk off hit, but I am not convinced that he will be able to hit big league pitching with any consistency.

On a side note, I understand that the Pirates are going to sign (or have signed) Travis Snider to a minor league contract and I think this is a good move. He could be a valuable September call up who could provide some pop off the bench; and it he gets at all hot, he would be a nice addition to the post season roster.

Reactions: fairgambit
I don't think anybody will pick up Florimon. It was nice for him to get the walk off hit, but I am not convinced that he will be able to hit big league pitching with any consistency.

On a side note, I understand that the Pirates are going to sign (or have signed) Travis Snider to a minor league contract and I think this is a good move. He could be a valuable September call up who could provide some pop off the bench; and it he gets at all hot, he would be a nice addition to the post season roster.
Oh...I'm convinced. Just like the rest of baseball - I'm convinced he will NOT ever be a legit hitter. The glove, though, is legit.

Snider won't be a bad option to have in the dugout come September.....though with all the late additions, the Buccos may have to juggle the 40 man roster a bit based on who/what provides the best chance for some value in the final month.
They can clear one spot by dropping Hunter Morris......and I think they can move Kingham to the 60 day DL to open another spot (not 100% sure about that).....but they will have to make a decision on Hart - if the add him in September, that will take up a 40 Man spot (since he is currently on the 60 day DL) .
Not a lot of room on the 40 man......no other real obvious "dumps", though there are certainly a few that no one would cry over either.

I don't think Morse is owed that much by the bucs for the rest of the year. Besides, doesn't he have enough service time to decline assignment and elect free agency and still receive his contract? If so, that essentially makes him a league minimum guy just like Florimon to whomever picks him up.

ADVERTISEMENT