As if NJ doesn't already have enough problems....

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
There are no paper bags. People will use reusable bags made from recycled material.

Do you have any idea how energy intensive it is to recycle plastics into a bag? You are phucking DESTROYING THE WORLD by using those things!!!!

Reactions: LioninHouston

BW Lion

Apr 9, 2020
I especially love the enforcement "carve-out" for the bodegas located in lower income hoods. Perhaps that's where NJPSU shops.

“The smaller stores, including the bodegas, may not have an organization that’s representing them, where they’re getting all the messaging that they need to get and that’s my biggest concern. We certainly didn’t want to create a bigger expense on behalf of those stores,” JoAnn Gemenden, the New Jersey Clean Communities Council executive director, said.

And enforcement might be something worth putting on pause, at least at first, one expert said.

Stores, particularly ones owned by members of disadvantaged communities, should be provided education instead of given fines during the early days of the bag ban, Matthew Schuler, an assistant biology professor at Montclair State University, told NJ Advance Media.

LioninHouston

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2005
Do you have any idea how energy intensive it is to recycle plastics into a bag? You are phucking DESTROYING THE WORLD by using those things!!!!
No doubt. I can tell those things burn even hotter than aerosol hair spray and paint cans. Even the styrofoam burns cooler, just a little more black smoke.

Last edited:

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
No doubt. I can tell those things burn even hotter than aerosol hair spray and paint cans. Even the styrofoam burns cooler, just a little more black smoke.

Yeah, Polystyrene and its relatives, HIPS, PS+PPE, ABS, all burn suity as shit. When I was in the lab, I ran the various flammability tests on those plastics. Nasty....

Many of those bags are made from recycled PET from water and soda bottles. Good stuff actually. High molecular weight such that they can be blow molded with mundane regularity. But after its use, it has to be recycled and driven all over the phucking country, washed up, dried / crystallized, re-pelletized then processed into strands that are shipped to a textile mill to be made into a "fabric" then cut and sown into bags...... Lot's of energy used there so NJ can feel good about himself not using a polyethylene or paper bag.

Reactions: LioninHouston

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016
The hilarious thing about plastic bag bans is that people used MORE plastic bags because all the things they use to reuse grocery bags for they now go any buy at the store.

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
The hilarious thing about plastic bag bans is that people used MORE plastic bags because all the things they use to reuse grocery bags for they now go any buy at the store.
That’s not even close to true for the average person. The ban just started and I’m personally already into the double digits in terms of bags not received. There’s going to be a massive decrease in those bags.

I bought 3 greeting cards, a gift certificate and a bag of candy at Walmart today and used no bag at all.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
That’s not even close to true for the average person. The ban just started and I’m personally already into the double digits in terms of bags not received. There’s going to be a massive decrease in those bags.

I bought 3 greeting cards, a gift certificate and a bag of candy at Walmart today and used no bag at all.

Wow. Congratulations for not using a bag at Walmart.

Such an inspiration to us all!!!

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016

Reactions: m.knox

NJPSU

May 29, 2001

I’m already -10 plastic bags and it hasn’t even been a week.

Latest posts