ADVERTISEMENT

Articles for Wednesday

Man, that WinMag article by Mike Finn, posted by Andy Hamilton on Trackwrestling, is a pile of pooh.

"And just like when Iowa dominated the sport with nine straight under Dan Gable, there is talk that Penn State’s current domination is not good for the sport, which continues to lose Division I schools"

"There is some truth and history to the fact that the “whole” does not benefit from success of one program."

"While Title IX is blamed for many Division I programs being cut in the 1980s, I wonder if many ADs figured their teams had no chance or interest in following Iowa’s lead."

First, he dropped 'there is talk' but doesn't cite it or even address it any further. Then he half-assedly suggests that Iowa's domination caused other programs to drop, but then turns right around and admits "Oddly, the sport appears to be on solid footing with the success of the national tournament and how much ESPN is doing to show nearly all the NCAA matches."

So what is it? What's the piece allegedly about? Is it a call to action, which is tiptoed around at the end? "There is no doubt the NCAAs are the “Super Bowl” of college wrestling, where the sport promotes all that is great about the sport. Maybe the NCAA and National Wrestling Coaches Association can take those three days to remind fans of what’s wrong. If not, it won’t matter what team dominates the sport."

Remind fans of what's wrong? What *is* wrong, Mike? You wanna come in with some weak doomsday scene, but not even describe it, much less put forth a suggested strategy for improvement? Just dial into Penn State's Dominance and use it to prop up a shoddy set of paragraphs with no information, clarity or purpose.

GFTO of here with that fluff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT