ADVERTISEMENT

Articles for Thursday

Coach Fritz (CDT article):

... I think Cael Sanderson is the epitome of what you would call a transformational coach. Say you stall to win your match; you’re not really developing your skills. It’s better to try to score, and therefore constantly develop your skills, conditioning and everything else. It’s a testament to Cael and his staff — Casey (Cunningham) and Cody (Sanderson) — that they expect their wrestlers to go out there, and instead of worrying about winning and putting pressure on themselves to win the match — they go out with an attitude like, “Hey, I’m just going to try to score and have fun with it.” ...

Fritz is a heckofa nice guy. Back in the very early '80s, I was sending 15-20 kids a year to his wrestling camp. They were in the 8 -12 year old range,and they all came back better wrestlers. But most importantly, they had a ball.

I would talk to him about my kids and he could tell me about every one of them. They all liked him and they all had fun. That's the reason they kept going back.

Observer-Reporter:
“... Teasdale. He’s struggled with weight early on, has had an up-and-down offseason and dehydrated himself preparing to wrestle in Las Vegas. His weight-loss activities caused the dehydration and he needed a short hospital stay to recover.“

The above sounds ominous, for Teasdale’s ease of holding 125 at PSU.

Observer-Reporter:
“... Teasdale. He’s struggled with weight early on, has had an up-and-down offseason and dehydrated himself preparing to wrestle in Las Vegas. His weight-loss activities caused the dehydration and he needed a short hospital stay to recover.“

The above sounds ominous, for Teasdale’s ease of holding 125 at PSU.

We only need Teasdale to hold 125 for 1 year. Here is the plan for world wide domination in the lightweights.

2018-19
125 Teasdale Frosh (Teske RS)
133 RBY Frosh
141 Lee Soph

2019-20
125 Teske RS Frosh
133 RBY Soph (Teasdale RS)
141 Lee Junior

2020-21
125 Teske RS Soph
133 Teasdale RS Soph
141 Lee Senior (RBY RS)

2021-22 & 2022-23
125 Teske
133 Teasdale
141 RBY

It's important to note that Gavin was cutting to 121 pounds for the Open, which is too far for him at this point. Whether he can hold 125 for a year is still up for debate. Despite 4 pounds not being a large margin, for a lightweight it can make a fair difference.

Reactions: Dogwelder
We now have three different explanations for Joseph being on the shelf - weight, shoulder and hand.;) Journalism is alive and well!

Reactions: tikk10
Fritz has, at multiple stages of his career, been the right man at the right time and right place -- all for PSU in some capacity.

We have been very fortunate to have him, in ways that could not have been foreseen when recruiting him out of HS.

We only need Teasdale to hold 125 for 1 year. Here is the plan for world wide domination in the lightweights.

2018-19
133 RBY Frosh
141 Lee Soph

2019-20
125 Teske RS Frosh
141 Lee Junior

2020-21
125 Teske RS Soph
133 Teasdale RS Soph
141 Lee Senior (RBY RS)

2021-22 & 2022-23
125 Teske
133 Teasdale
141 RBY

So are you assuming Lee goes this year? Otherwise he would be a RSFR in your 18-19 year of domination. I know ... wait for the Scuffle. But I am coming around to the position that neither Cortez nor Lee will really score many points at NCAAs this year. I know ... wait for the Scuffle.

So are you assuming Lee goes this year? Otherwise he would be a RSFR in your 18-19 year of domination. I know ... wait for the Scuffle. But I am coming around to the position that neither Cortez nor Lee will really score many points at NCAAs this year. I know ... wait for the Scuffle.

Yes, assuming Lee goes this year, which is not a given. I agree that if the coaches after the Scuffle don't think Lee will score significant NCAA points over what Cortez will score he will probably stay on redshirt this season. 50/50 as I think Lee is a better option than Cortez for duals, but IMHO the difference at NCAAs is 1-2 points which is not worth pulling Lee's redshirt. Now if Lee makes the Scuffle finals my opinion (and probably/maybe) the coaches may change.

I am pretty confident that Nick Lee offers far more potential than Jered Cortez at Nationals at this point in time. Maybe that will change after the Scuffle, but Lee has lost two matches, one to Yianni, the other to Zacherl that I think he probably pulls out if they wrestle again today.

Sure, that isn't the greatest sample size but I'm not sure Cortez has anywhere near Lee's kind of potential for bonus and wins on the championship side.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa

2018-19
133 RBY Frosh
141 Lee Soph

2019-20
125 Teske RS Frosh
141 Lee Junior

2020-21
125 Teske RS Soph
133 Teasdale RS Soph
141 Lee Senior (RBY RS)

2021-22 & 2022-23
125 Teske
133 Teasdale
141 RBY

Busiello?

Reactions: Dogwelder
Busiello?

Come on, now. Let's not threaten for Best Lightweight Room in the Country (although NoVa seemed to take it a notch higher with Best Lightweight Room in the World).

If we take that away, then all that will be left to claim in Iowa City is Best Coaching Ethics in the Sport. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, OhSt and OkSt are the current lightweight kings.

Reactions: Ja1339
Come on, now. Let's not threaten for Best Lightweight Room in the Country (although NoVa seemed to take it a notch higher with Best Lightweight Room in the World).

If we take that away, then all that will be left to claim in Iowa City is Best Coaching Ethics in the Sport. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, OhSt and OkSt are the current lightweight kings.
Iowa can also claim to be more dangerous than Iran.

Or best 3" binder :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT