ADVERTISEMENT

Articles for Monday ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
enjoy

FloWrestling: Mark Hall Registered For Southern Scuffle!

Reading Eagle: Wrestling collegebound -- Exeter's DeSanto to attend Drexel
(appears he worked out at PSU)

Bucks County Courier Times: Nick Cooper, Bensalem, Wrestling

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Love -- Plenty of memorable moments for area athletes in past year
(nice paragraph about Nico)

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: A-K Valley high school sports highlights -- Dec. 26-30, 2016
(The Cavaliers placed third in the team standings during their first year in the prestigious tournament. They expect to contend for the team title with most of their wrestlers, including senior Joey Blumer and junior Isaac Reid, a year older and wiser.

Blumer, a Penn State recruit, is back after placing fourth at 138 pounds last season [at Powerade])

Bergen Record: Same Star, New Horizons
(Nice article on Suriano)

Maybe Dice or someone connected to Bucks County can clue me in on Cooper. He's a JR, so there's time, but unless he was injured, his 2016 postseason sounds like someone who has a lot of work ahead of to be quality depth at a D1 power. District 4th, regional 5th, DNQ for states. Neither of the guys who beat him at regionals came close to a state medal. And 285 wasn't exactly a killer weight class, either.

Is there something I'm missing?

Maybe Dice or someone connected to Bucks County can clue me in on Cooper. He's a JR, so there's time, but unless he was injured, his 2016 postseason sounds like someone who has a lot of work ahead of to be quality depth at a D1 power. District 4th, regional 5th, DNQ for states. Neither of the guys who beat him at regionals came close to a state medal. And 285 wasn't exactly a killer weight class, either.

Is there something I'm missing?

I don't think you are missing anything. 285 is really, really thin in our region.

Can't see the article anymore, but assume he said something about wanting to go to PSU. Maybe he's got great grades. In two years, he's got a chance to be the kind of prospect that the kid from Salisbury who is on the team is. Which I assume is a walk-on with a good frame who is a good student and works hard. He's most likely going to qualify for Hershey this year. At 285, he's not going to win it, but anything is possible in regards to a medal. And next year after the seniors clear out, maybe he's in a good position to medal.

I don't think you are missing anything. 285 is really, really thin in our region.

Can't see the article anymore, but assume he said something about wanting to go to PSU. Maybe he's got great grades. In two years, he's got a chance to be the kind of prospect that the kid from Salisbury who is on the team is. Which I assume is a walk-on with a good frame who is a good student and works hard. He's most likely going to qualify for Hershey this year. At 285, he's not going to win it, but anything is possible in regards to a medal. And next year after the seniors clear out, maybe he's in a good position to medal.
The article said, under the header "College Choices," that he wants to wrestle in college and "ideally" at Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State. It's good to have goals, but I thought that sounded awfully presumptuous. Wouldn't have struck me at all if a PA resident had only said PSU ... but then he named 2 out-of-state big-time powers. Maybe it's about academics, in which case good for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT