ADVERTISEMENT

Articles for Friday

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
enjoy

Scottsbluff Star Herald: Veteran coaches to enter Nebraska Wrestling Hall of Fame
(one is Bo Nickal's grandfather. Nice info on Bo's grandparents, as well as Bo's parents)

PA Power Wrestling: Pennsylvania Wrestlers Compete For Spot on Cadet World Team

On The Banks: Which Rutgers Program Is Closest To A Championship?
(perhaps Mr. Cruiseliner is now working for this blog, as they list Rutgers wrestling as one of 3 teams that are closest to a championship)

Roar Lions Roar: Corey Keener Transfers to Penn State

FloWrestling: Monster Akron Finals
(reminiscing about some past finals at Akron, including Nickal - Mark Hall in '13, and Suriano - Daton Fix in '14)

FloWrestling: 2017 World Team Trials Preview - 65kg
(Tank and Z-Pain will be contenders)

Regarding Rutgers wrestling, I thought the summary analysis was fair. They might have the most talent of any Rutgers sports team, but the hill to climb to attain a championship is the steepest as well.

Regarding Rutgers wrestling, I thought the summary analysis was fair. They might have the most talent of any Rutgers sports team, but the hill to climb to attain a championship is the steepest as well.

Their Women's Soccer team was in the NCAA tournament last year. They beat PSU's WSOC 2-0 in the first round. Of course, PSU had five starters playing in international competition.

The summary was fair, but the hill is insanely steep.

Rutgers finished 19th at this year's NCAAs. Team within their conference that finished ahead of them were PSU (1), Ohio St (2), Iowa (4), Minny (7), Nebraska (9), Michigan (10), Illini (11), and Wisky, (13). That's 18 teams ahead of them at Nationals, with 8 of them being from their own conference.

Another way of looking at it is that Rutgers got 2 wrestlers onto the podium at NCAAs. Or, they had 1 champion at B1Gs, and as a team they finished tied for 8th at B1Gs.

I like Goodale as a coach, and think that Rutgers has taken some nice steps to being more competitive in wrestling. That said, I don't think they are anywhere close to a championship, either within their conference or at Nationals.

Rutgers finished 19th at this year's NCAAs. Team within their conference that finished ahead of them were PSU (1), Ohio St (2), Iowa (4), Minny (7), Nebraska (9), Michigan (10), Illini (11), and Wisky, (13). That's 18 teams ahead of them at Nationals, with 8 of them being from their own conference.

Another way of looking at it is that Rutgers got 2 wrestlers onto the podium at NCAAs. Or, they had 1 champion at B1Gs, and as a team they finished tied for 8th at B1Gs.

I like Goodale as a coach, and think that Rutgers has taken some nice steps to being more competitive in wrestling. That said, I don't think they are anywhere close to a championship, either within their conference or at Nationals.
Good post and info. As you say, they have taken some nice steps, but so have many other teams in and out of the B1G. It will be challenge for them to hit top 10 on a consistent basis unless they commit more to the program.

I would add that for all the improvements Rutger's has made, unfortunately for them, Cael has matched or outdone.

Good post and info. As you say, they have taken some nice steps, but so have many other teams in and out of the B1G. It will be challenge for them to hit top 10 on a consistent basis unless they commit more to the program.
Agreed, great perspective. Rutgers has gone; #48, 32, 27, 45, 35, 34, 31, 15, and #19 the past 9 years. Joining the B1G surely helped, though they're still building their program. Turned the corner as a top-20 team, next stop top-10?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT