ADVERTISEMENT

Article - Future at quarterback looks bright for Nittany Lions

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
CJF seems to have a great depth chart assembled at the most important position in football!!

A nicely assembled article on the future of the QB position once Trace is done, by RBR:

https://victorybellrings.com/2018/12/09/pennstate-football-future-quarterback-bright-nittany-lions/

Penn State football has stocked its quarterback cupboard with some very talented players.
Penn State football has had the luxury of a star quarterback for the past three seasons. Trace McSorley will leave Happy Valley as the all-time leader in wins, and the record holder of numerous career and single season marks. Unfortunately, his time with the Nittany Lions is up, meaning that someone new is set to take over at quarterback.

Fortunately, the future of the quarterback position at Penn State appears bright, thanks to a great job of recruiting by James Franklin and his staff.

Next season starts the Tommy Stevens era for the Nittany Lions. He’s been McSorley’s backup the past three years and will finally get his chance to take over the reigns of the Penn State offense.

In 2015, Stevens was the No. 9 prospect in the state of Indiana and the No. 22 dual-threat quarterback in the nation as rated by 247Sports. At six-foot-five, 240 pounds, Stevens is a big quarterback with excellent athletic ability that allows him to be used beyond just throwing the football.

During his senior year of high school he ran for 842 yards and 10 touchdowns, so it’s no surprise that Penn State has tried to make great use of his elite athleticism by getting him into the game in a variety of ways

This past season he completed eight of his 11 passes (72 percent) for 110 yards and a touchdown. He added 28 rushes for 118 yards and two scores. Aside from being listed on the depth chart as the backup quarterback, the coaching staff created a position called “Lion” for Stevens.

It will be Stevens’ time next season, and I see a break out year for him, similar to what Miles Sanders did this year after sitting behind Saquon Barkley.

Stevens could be one of the toughest players to stop in the Big Ten next year. If conference opponents thought they had a hard time with McSorley, wait until they get a load of Stevens. He is more athletic and stronger than McSorley.

Behind Stevens on the depth chart is Sean Clifford. A special player in high school, Clifford put up a total of 21 touchdowns (12 rushing and 9 passing) and was named team MVP during his senior season. Clifford also was named the most accurate quarterback at the 2016 Elite 11 Competition, a competition for the premier high school quarterbacks in the nation.

He was rated a four-star recruit by 247Sports and the No. 8 pro-style quarterback in the 2017 class.

During the 2018 season, Clifford was able to get some valuable time on the field, and showed why Penn State fans should be excited for the future. He completed all five passes that he attempted for 195 yards and two touchdowns, including Penn State’s longest reception in history — a 95-yard bomb to freshman wide receiver Daniel George.

Clifford has the mobility of Steve Young and the deep ball touch of Drew Brees, making him a very intriguing talent.

Also on the current roster is 2018 three-star recruit, Will Levis. Landing Levis was just a great job of recruiting by Penn State after missing out on five-star quarterback Justin Fields. The Nittany Lions picked up a commitment from a special competitor in Levis.

I had an interview with Levis for Philly Sports Network after he had just thrown for 375 yards and six touchdowns in a high school game the week before. He told me the one thing he improved on the most was his knowledge of the game and that Penn State was getting a leader.

An underrated attribute about of Levis is his athletic ability. He is able to make great throws on his feet and he could be the most physically impressive quarterback at Penn State since Daryll Clark.

Franklin and his staff didn’t stop picking up quarterbacks after the 2018 class, as the 2019 class also boasts some talented prospects.

Taquon Roberson is coming off a big season for DePaul Catholic, passing for 2,432 yards, 29 touchdowns, and just six interceptions. He ran for 314 yards and three touchdowns and averaged 8.3 yards per carry.

At six-foot-one,190 pounds, the four-star dual-threat quarterback is a more athletic McSorley, and just as tough.

Joining Roberson in Penn State’s 2019 recruiting class is Michael Johnson Jr. The four-star, dual-threat quarterback is six-foot-four and brings a killer arm and elite athleticism.

Truthfully, Johnson has the potential to be the best quarterback out all of those already listed. This past season in high school he was almost always the most impactful player on the field. He threw for 1,707 yards, 19 touchdowns, and had a 132.5 quarterback rating. Johnson Jr. also ran for 1,177 yards and 16 touchdowns, including a 93-yard scoring run.

Penn State appears loaded at the quarterback position for the next few seasons. 2019 will belong to Stevens, then Clifford should take over. After that, it will be an interesting battle between Levis, Roberson, and Johnson Jr.

Last edited:
Very anxious to watch Stevens next year.
Just my .02, but I'm a skeptic. Concerned about his ability to locate secondary receivers and, similarly, his tendency to decide early on run plays rather than look for the pitch or handoff.

He's got the physical tools and has shown great loyalty as a teammate. Hope he takes off, but if not, there are good options, Clifford especially.

Just my .02, but I'm a skeptic. Concerned about his ability to locate secondary receivers and, similarly, his tendency to decide early on run plays rather than look for the pitch or handoff.

He's got the physical tools and has shown great loyalty as a teammate. Hope he takes off, but if not, there are good options, Clifford especially.

Yep, it will be interesting to see how Stevens plays. He is definitely a bull when he gets a head of steam and runs. But is he heady enough in the pocket to buy time to make throws, or will he try and run too often and get caught by the better front 7's we play? And if he buys time, does he have a quick enough first step to get away? And when he escapes will he look down field like Trace has done to take the throws to wide open receivers or will he just run every time? Trace has been such a great decision maker.... but it will be kind of fun to see what the same offense looks like with a different QB.

With this year's WR production down significantly from the past few years this off season should be a big developmental time for that young group. Stevens needs to stay healthy this off season so he can keep developing his rapport with the WR talent and hit the ground running, so to speak, next Fall.....

Reactions: N&B4PSU and royboy

"If conference opponents thought they had a hard time with McSorley, wait until they get a load of Stevens. He is more athletic and stronger than McSorley."

This might be true but that doesn't mean he has the "IT" factor. Stevens' decision to run early might have been a coaches call or it might have been because he didn't have enough time to fell comfortable with the flow of the game. We'll see.

It will help if JJ returns and stops dropping balls. It will also help if Shorter comes around. 3 bigger targets (w/ Friermuth) would be a welcome complement to guys like Hamler & Dotson.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Stevens' decision to run early might have been a coaches call or it might have been because he didn't have enough time to fell comfortable with the flow of the game. We'll see.
CJF said at/near the end of the season that they were kind of forced to use Stevens as a backup RB from the QB position, so it sounds like they were largely designed runs.

CJF seems to have a great depth chart assembled at the most important position in football!!

Behind Stevens on the depth chart is Sean Clifford. A special player in high school, Clifford put up a total of 21 touchdowns (12 rushing and 9 passing) and was named team MVP during his senior season. Clifford also was named the most accurate quarterback at the 2016 Elite 11 Competition, a competition for the premier high school quarterbacks in the nation.

He was rated a four-star recruit by 247Sports and the No. 8 pro-style quarterback in the 2017 class.

During the 2018 season, Clifford was able to get some valuable time on the field, and showed why Penn State fans should be excited for the future. He completed all five passes that he attempted for 195 yards and two touchdowns, including Penn State’s longest reception in history — a 95-yard bomb to freshman wide receiver Daniel George.

Clifford has the mobility of Steve Young and the deep ball touch of Drew Brees, making him a very intriguing talent.
If Sean Clifford has the mobility of Steve Young and the deep ball touch of Drew Brees then maybe he should start against Kentucky instead of Trace???

If Sean Clifford has the mobility of Steve Young and the deep ball touch of Drew Brees then maybe he should start against Kentucky instead of Trace???
hyperbole for sure

of the two characteristics of accuracy and mobility, I think accuracy is the stronger of Clifford's qualities (and very important); he's not slow, but I don't see him being a scrambler/runner like Trace or Tommy.

hyperbole for sure

of the two characteristics of accuracy and mobility, I think accuracy is the stronger of Clifford's qualities (and very important); he's not slow, but I don't see him being a scrambler/runner like Trace or Tommy.

I believe we have not seen enough of Clifford in game action to make much of a judgement on his running, other than he seems to be a pass first QB when a pass is called. I can't remember if he played in the B/W game, but he seems to want to throw the ball rather than run in the limited game reps he got this season. And next Spring's B/W game is not really a great place to find out either given the red jerseys the QB's wear. We may not find out what he really is like as a runner for a while.....

Yep, it will be interesting to see how Stevens plays. He is definitely a bull when he gets a head of steam and runs. But is he heady enough in the pocket to buy time to make throws, or will he try and run too often and get caught by the better front 7's we play? And if he buys time, does he have a quick enough first step to get away? And when he escapes will he look down field like Trace has done to take the throws to wide open receivers or will he just run every time? Trace has been such a great decision maker.... but it will be kind of fun to see what the same offense looks like with a different QB.

With this year's WR production down significantly from the past few years this off season should be a big developmental time for that young group. Stevens needs to stay healthy this off season so he can keep developing his rapport with the WR talent and hit the ground running, so to speak, next Fall.....

And when he escapes will he look down field like Trace has done to take the throws to wide open receivers or will he just run every time?

Trace is about as good as I have ever seen when it comes to breaking out of the pocket, scrambling towards the LOS and continuing to look downfield for an open receiver (and then throwing and hitting an open receiver, rather than running). Although I do remember one particularly painful play where I wish he would have kept it and run, rather than throwing it downfield (when he was over the LOS and the receiver pushed off anyways) - ouch!

Reactions: The Stan
"If conference opponents thought they had a hard time with McSorley, wait until they get a load of Stevens. He is more athletic and stronger than McSorley."

This might be true but that doesn't mean he has the "IT" factor. Stevens' decision to run early might have been a coaches call or it might have been because he didn't have enough time to fell comfortable with the flow of the game. We'll see.

It will help if JJ returns and stops dropping balls. It will also help if Shorter comes around. 3 bigger targets (w/ Friermuth) would be a welcome complement to guys like Hamler & Dotson.
And, if the Lasch weight room leaderboard is to be believed, he isn’t more athletic than Trace - Trace has better numbers in the 40, the shuttle, the vertical, and the broad jump.

Wow, hyperbole much. I sure hope he turns out half that good.
Sounds awesome. Next article will discuss next year's "much-improved OL." Not saying it won't be, but I'd like our punters to get less playing time.

hyperbole for sure

That's ok. The OL will be much improved so he won't have to scramble like Trace or Tommy.;)

CJF said at/near the end of the season that they were kind of forced to use Stevens as a backup RB from the QB position, so it sounds like they were largely designed runs.
Not sure if it was the michigan game but it was late and either 3rd/4th and long and he dropped back, stayed in the pocket, started to scramble, but clearly had his eyes down the field before he took off for the first down and the sideline to get OOB. Now, whether he always intended to run and just wanted to keep the defense honest, I don't know.. but I liked the look of it.

BTW, fully agree he was in run-first mode most of the time, and most of the time it seemed by design. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with the first team and confidence knowing he's the man, not just playing for scraps.

Reactions: LMTLION
McSorley had a lot better stats when he had big receivers who would go up and catch his 50/50 balls. That was sorely missed this Season.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and bdgan
McSorley had a lot better stats when he had big receivers who would go up and catch his 50/50 balls. That was sorely missed this Season.
He also would have had better numbers had his receivers not dropped ~40 passes. It's not like all of those were "50/50 balls". We didn't even throw *that* many deep passes in 2017.

I believe we have not seen enough of Clifford in game action to make much of a judgement on his running, other than he seems to be a pass first QB when a pass is called. I can't remember if he played in the B/W game, but he seems to want to throw the ball rather than run in the limited game reps he got this season. And next Spring's B/W game is not really a great place to find out either given the red jerseys the QB's wear. We may not find out what he really is like as a runner for a while.....

I sure hope we get to see a lot more of him, he has the Trace type pedigree of being a proven winner in big games. And the guy can throw the ball really well, I kinda like that in a QB

Hyperbole aside, I'm excited by what Clifford has shown. Still, I will be rooting for Stevens to have a huge year! Love that kid!

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
And, if the Lasch weight room leaderboard is to be believed, he isn’t more athletic than Trace - Trace has better numbers in the 40, the shuttle, the vertical, and the broad jump.

I'm shocked that a guy 5 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier isn't a fast or quick as the smaller guy.

I'm shocked that a guy 5 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier isn't a fast or quick as the smaller guy.

Not sure what your point is. The article said Tommy was more athletic. The poster responded by noting that Trace has all the speed and agility records for QBs per the position group leader boards in gym (40, NFL shuttle, etc.). Tommy runs more powerfully but I think Trace is more nimble and faster. My view of their comparative athleticism is consistent with how the players test under identical circumstances. If someone wants to say their eyes tell them otherwise, well okay. But the objective measurements don’t support what their eyes tell them.

I'm guessing that with limited practice time (and his early injury), the backup QB doesn't really get enough reps to get that comfortable. In limited use, he did complete 8 of 11 passes for 110 yards -- exactly 10 yards per attempt. The idea that he's an extremely capable runner can only help his passing.

He also would have had better numbers had his receivers not dropped ~40 passes.

How many balls were batted down at the line of scrimmage too?

But none of them is the equal of the great Kenny Football, Kenny Heisman, Kenny Eight Yards Pickett. Not even McSorley. Just ask the brainos like President Stache on the Liar.

I'm guessing that with limited practice time (and his early injury), the backup QB doesn't really get enough reps to get that comfortable. In limited use, he did complete 8 of 11 passes for 110 yards -- exactly 10 yards per attempt. The idea that he's an extremely capable runner can only help his passing.

How many balls were batted down at the line of scrimmage too?

On average, I doubt he gets balls batted down more than other QBs. Height helps more with seeing the field. Even tall QBs have to find throwing lanes because the hands of d lineman are higher than even a 6’4” QBs release point. When a tall QB gets balls tipped, people quickly dismiss it as a one off. When a short QB gets balls tipped, it sticks in folks minds because it reinforces preconceived notions. Same with throw. When you are 6’4”, people tend to focus on the great throws and ignore others. When you are 6’, the opposite is true.

On average, I doubt he gets balls batted down more than other QBs.

Do you think so? I have my doubts. Seems like Trace had a lot of balls batted down this year -- more than previous years. But you could be correct. I have no data either way. Just my memory.

Not sure what your point is. The article said Tommy was more athletic. The poster responded by noting that Trace has all the speed and agility records for QBs per the position group leader boards in gym (40, NFL shuttle, etc.). Tommy runs more powerfully but I think Trace is more nimble and faster. My view of their comparative athleticism is consistent with how the players test under identical circumstances. If someone wants to say their eyes tell them otherwise, well okay. But the objective measurements don’t support what their eyes tell them.
That's exactly my point - it seems like so many both on these boards and in the media say "Tommy is a better runner than Trace" or "Tommy is more athletic than Trace" as if either is a foregone conclusion. I think Trace is both a better runner and a better athlete than Tommy - and I think it's overwhelmingly probable that Trace is a better thrower and decisionmaker than Tommy, too.

I think people get enamored with Stevens' height and the fact that he's run over a few defenders on gadget plays and project that out to an entire full-time starting quarterback role, and I think it's a mistake. To me, it's telling that the staff clearly thought that a banged-up, essentially one legged Trace was a better option and gave the team a better chance to win than a fully healthy Stevens. Maybe Stevens improves substantially in the offseason when he has full-time reps as the starter, but I hope it's an open competition and I still think we're in for an overall downgrade.

If Tommy shows some poise in the pocket and the ability to deliver strikes, NFL teams are going to show a lot of interest in his prototypical frame. This kid has a much better shot at the nfl than Trace but Trace may turn out to be a better college QB.

ADVERTISEMENT