ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona Travel Tips

WarrentonLion

Jul 19, 2001
Flying in to Tucson tomorrow AM with my wife and 2 teenage girls, then driving up to Sedona for a 3-night stay with a 4th night in Scottsdale. Sadly, looks like a washout for Day 1. Any ideas for things to do indoors in Tucson or Phoenix/Scottsdale area? Weather looks much better Thursday-Friday. Any hiking or suggestions for a side trip? Thanks in advance!

Usery Mountain Regional Park outside of Phoenix has some nice trails if you're "in" to seeing lots of cacti.

I also had a good meal at Aunt Chiladas in Phoenix.

Was in Scottsdale for the week two weeks ago, and hiked Camelback mountain one day. Fun and iconic hike right in the heart of town. Teenagers could definitely handle it if they're into that sort of thing (mine probably would have enjoyed it).

Reactions: Rollin Stone
Was in Scottsdale for the week two weeks ago, and hiked Camelback mountain one day. Fun and iconic hike right in the heart of town. Teenagers could definitely handle it if they're into that sort of thing (mine probably would have enjoyed it).
I hiked Camelback 4 times last week :) my gf's happy place.
Can get crowded (especially Fri-Sun), parking stinks, but worth it. Bring water.

OP could also take in a spring training game if that interests the family.

Snooze is a cool place for breakfast/brunch - if you are staying right in Old Town Scottsdale, it is about a 10 minute drive.

https://www.hikesedona.com
Flying in to Tucson tomorrow AM with my wife and 2 teenage girls, then driving up to Sedona for a 3-night stay with a 4th night in Scottsdale. Sadly, looks like a washout for Day 1. Any ideas for things to do indoors in Tucson or Phoenix/Scottsdale area? Weather looks much better Thursday-Friday. Any hiking or suggestions for a side trip? Thanks in advance!
As for hiking in Sedona, you almost can’t go wrong. For a great uncrowded hike, do Broken Arrow. For a great, crowded one, Devils Bridge.

https://www.hikesedona.com/

Thanks for the advice! A little bummed about the weather. Hopefully we'll get some sun Thursday/Friday.

Have fun...I was there this time last year. Jerome can be a fun, short visit. It is a mining ghost town that has become a tourist place. Montezuma's Castle is fun, on the way up. Its is a Hopi Indian cave dweller national park. I stayed at the new Courtyard Inn south of Sedona. They had a nice sunset wine bar set up on a patio. I also hiked Devils Bridge, which was awesome. So many good hiking spots, as others have said. Anther great place to visit is the airport. There is a overlook near the airport that is one of the best views in town. Also, breakfast at that airport is pretty darn good. We got a kick out of PussyCat Gelato in town. The Gelato was great but the owner was funny. He's got photos of hot Bond girls and though "pussy" would be a great name for a place but knew it would be too controversial so settled on "pussycat". My two sons and I got a kick out of him. If you are into art, maybe on a rainy day, take in Tlaquepaque.

Reactions: BBrown

Ahhhh Tucson and Sedona 2 of my favorite places.
Hmmm not sure if your wife and daughters will be into to it. But if the weather isn't being agreeable try the Titan Missile Museum in Sahuarita, AZ. Its about 15 miles south of Tucson. Its really interesting and informative and mostly underground. I highly recommend it.
Also not far is the St. Xavier Mission that is also nice and mostly indoors.
If the weather is nice make sure you do the Sonoran Desert Museum.
Do The Gates Pass drive at sunset (if its not raining). Beautiful place to watch the sunset and many pull ins to just sit in the car or get out and walk around.
Old Town Tucson is nice and I love El Charro Cafe.

Sedona is just jaw dropping gorgeous.
There are hike EVERYWHERE and for all abilities and ages.
My Favorite is the West Fork Trail in Oak Creek Canyon.
2nd Favorite is Cathedral Rock.
Red Planet Cafe in Sedona is pretty kitchy and fun and have very good Bloody Mary's
Here is a link that might help...

https://www.planetware.com/arizona/top-rated-hiking-trails-in-sedona-us-az-84.htm

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Have fun...I was there this time last year. Jerome can be a fun, short visit. It is a mining ghost town that has become a tourist place. Montezuma's Castle is fun, on the way up. Its is a Hopi Indian cave dweller national park. I stayed at the new Courtyard Inn south of Sedona. They had a nice sunset wine bar set up on a patio. I also hiked Devils Bridge, which was awesome. So many good hiking spots, as others have said. Anther great place to visit is the airport. There is a overlook near the airport that is one of the best views in town. Also, breakfast at that airport is pretty darn good. We got a kick out of PussyCat Gelato in town. The Gelato was great but the owner was funny. He's got photos of hot Bond girls and though "pussy" would be a great name for a place but knew it would be too controversial so settled on "pussycat". My two sons and I got a kick out of him. If you are into art, maybe on a rainy day, take in Tlaquepaque.

Jerome is nice and it poured when I was there too but added nice fog to the valley. ;)

Reactions: Obliviax
Probably too late, but for a rainy day, the Pima Air and Space Museum is cool...you just may not be able to see all the planes. Just curious, why fly into Tucson to drive to Sedona? Phoenix would’ve been 2 hours closer. I’ve flown to/from both airports many times and usually Phoenix has better prices.

Camelback is a great hike but more difficult than average. If that’s too much, Squaw Peak offers great views as well and isn’t as rigorous. Spring training is everywhere so you can catch a game. Friday looks like great weather. You can also drive to the top of South Mountain and maybe grab a hike in there. A pullout at Telegraph Pass allows you to hike down and back up. Or up a short hike up to a lookout tower.

Kitt peak observatory nearbTuscon.
https://www.noao.edu/kpvc/

Mariposa in Sedona for a great lunch or dinner. Make sure you get the yucca fries. They’re to die for and so is the view. Near the airport.

Vovomenna in Phoenix for breakfast.
La Santisima for great Mexican food.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! Sedona was absolutely amazing! Views in every direction. Hiked every day and enjoyed some great meals. That's definitely a place I could see myself retiring to. Wish we would have had more time to see Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tucson. Next trip!

Thanks for all of your suggestions! Sedona was absolutely amazing! Views in every direction. Hiked every day and enjoyed some great meals. That's definitely a place I could see myself retiring to. Wish we would have had more time to see Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tucson. Next trip!

Sedona is one of the most beautiful places I’ve seen.
Tucson is were I’m looking to retire to in about 5 years.

Saguaros appear to be friendly and welcoming, raising their arms to wave to you. This is a lie. Do not high-five a Saguaro, and definitely do not hug a Saguaro.

Trust me on this one.

Reactions: Obliviax
Just curious, why fly into Tucson to drive to Sedona? Phoenix would’ve been 2 hours closer. I’ve flown to/from both airports many times and usually Phoenix has better prices.

Because it gives them a chance to see Tucson?

I was just in Joshua Tree and Southern Arizona from March 8-18. Hiked 110 miles including one day in Sedona. While Sedona was pretty and I did two nice hikes, traffic and crowds were an absolute nightmare and I can't see myself ever going back. I know it's a bad time with spring break and all but I preferred the solitude I had in Joshua Tree and some of the SE Arizona canyons. Maybe I'll try Sedona at another time of year.

I was just in Joshua Tree and Southern Arizona from March 8-18. Hiked 110 miles including one day in Sedona. While Sedona was pretty and I did two nice hikes, traffic and crowds were an absolute nightmare and I can't see myself ever going back. I know it's a bad time with spring break and all but I preferred the solitude I had in Joshua Tree and some of the SE Arizona canyons. Maybe I'll try Sedona at another time of year.

Yea Sedona can be "crowded" especially spring and fall. Fortunately there are so many hiking trails that if you know where to go you can avoid the crowds.
My experience is if you pick the Moderate to Stressful trails and ones that are 4+ miles long you stand a better chance of avoiding the crowds, even if the trail is crowded for a the first mile or so they usually turn around.
I feel about Zion the way you do about Sedona, beautiful place but way too crowded.
Joshua Tree is one of my favorite places but even they have grown A LOT since the first time I was there in the early 2000's.

Reactions: wilbury
Yea Sedona can be "crowded" especially spring and fall. Fortunately there are so many hiking trails that if you know where to go you can avoid the crowds.
My experience is if you pick the Moderate to Stressful trails and ones that are 4+ miles long you stand a better chance of avoiding the crowds, even if the trail is crowded for a the first mile or so they usually turn around.
I feel about Zion the way you do about Sedona, beautiful place but way too crowded.
Joshua Tree is one of my favorite places but even they have grown A LOT since the first time I was there in the early 2000's.
That's pretty much what we ended up doing. Many of those trails are steep. 2000' vertical in a mile gets old after a while.

ADVERTISEMENT