ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona State

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
With all the talk about ASU being on the schedule, this seems to be good timing to post their potential lineup:

125 – Milhoff (Sr) <Collins Hill, GA>

A 1-time AA with Oklahoma in 2016 (7th place), Milhoff went 2-2 for ASU in last year’s tournament from the 15 seed (17-7 season record).

133 – Courtney (Fr) <Desert Edge, AZ>

Courtney may enter the lineup here after a 14-2 redshirt season @125 (losses against Bresser and Piotrowski). His best win was against NCAA qualifier Rayvon Foley. Kramer (Jr) is also in the mix here (13-8 last season @125) with some notable wins against NCAA qualifiers Louie Hayes and Drew Mattin. Naser went 0-2 from the 15 seed last year (21-13 season record) for ASU.

141 – Mason Smith (Jr) <Clio, MI>

Smith transfers in from Central Michigan. He is a 2-time qualifier (1-2 last year from the 10 seed and 1-2 in 2017). Villareal was the starter for ASU last year, going 11-18 and not qualifying for the NCAA tournament.

149 – Maruca (Jr) <Franklin Regional, PA>

Maruca returns to the lineup. He qualified for the NCAA tournament in 2017, going 2-2. Former NCAA champ, Tsirtsis was an AA for ASU last year finishing 7th. Former NCAA qualifier (0-2 in 2015) Pagdilao (Sr) could also be an option here.

157 – Shields (Jr) <Franklin Regional, PA>

Shields was an AA last year, finishing 7th from the 4 seed (34-4 season record). He went 1-2 in the tournament in 2017. [Jacori Teemer is an incoming true freshman. If there’s movement with the Valencias and Shields, perhaps Teemer may find his way into the lineup.]

165 – A. Valencia (Jr) <St. John Bosco, CA>

For now, I’m assuming Anthony stays at 165. He’s a 2-time qualifier going 2-2 last year from the 15 seed and r12 in 2017.

174 – Z. Valencia (Jr) <St. John Bosco, CA>

For now, I’m also assuming that Zahid stays at the same weight as last year. The national champ from last year and 3rd place finisher from 2017, Zahid is sporting a career record of 70-1. I’m looking forward to multiple rematches with Hall.

184 – Norfleet (So) <Marian Catholic, IL>

Norfleet went 12-13 as a true freshman starter last year, going 0-2 in the NCAA tournament (he qualified by winning the Pac-12 tournament).

197 – Belshay (So) <Buchanan, CA>

Belshay went 8-17 as a true freshman starter last year.

Heavy – Hall (Sr) <Meridian, ID>

Hall had a disappointing tournament last year, going 2-2 from the 8 seed. Hall finished 3rd in 2017 and R12 in 2016.

Arizona State returns 2 (Z. Valencia and Shields) of last year’s AAs and loses 1 (Tsirtsis). ASU also returns 2 former AAs (Milhoff and Hall). Compared to last year, I think there is some upside potential at several weight classes and ASU has very good wrestlers replacing the starters they lose from last year. ASU should improve upon their finish from last year (10th/43 points).

Edit: added high schools
Edit: added pic for @Ban Basketball
ASU Undie Run
asuundierun_08_40_20120425_1156437014.jpg

Last edited:
Tsirtsis had a very unfortunate set of circumstances at Northwestern. I thought that he and Zain would have two or three years of great matches, but I don't think they wrestled at all over the last two seasons of their careers.

Tsirtsis had a very unfortunate set of circumstances at Northwestern. I thought that he and Zain would have two or three years of great matches, but I don't think they wrestled at all over the last two seasons of their careers.

Not sure why Zahid wouldn’t bump up even if just a favor for his brother? Maybe not his choice one might say, but it’s Zahid, he’ll win anywhere and deserves the choice. What’s the reasoning?

Not sure why Zahid wouldn’t bump up even if just a favor for his brother? Maybe not his choice one might say, but it’s Zahid, he’ll win anywhere and deserves the choice. What’s the reasoning?
FS choices may dictate his preference and that could go either way. He went 79kg at the trials and that's where he is in folk (174lbs), so if he wanted to go 79kg for next year's worlds, maybe staying at 174 this year makes the most sense. But then there won't be a 79kg class at the 2020 Olympics, so bumping up to 184 makes the transition to 86kg (189lbs) smoother.

Is it difficult for Anthony to make 165 because Zeke stated a few months ago that weight wasn't an issue for him.

Is it difficult for Anthony to make 165 because Zeke stated a few months ago that weight wasn't an issue for him.

Zeke said that, so many results indicate a failure to progress for such a touted prospect as Anthony was though, been really underwhelming in Tempe to be kind. Perhaps Anthony just is what he is, a really solid collegiate , just not what Zeke thought he was getting ?

Zeke said that, so many results indicate a failure to progress for such a touted prospect as Anthony was though, been really underwhelming in Tempe to be kind. Perhaps Anthony just is what he is, a really solid collegiate , just not what Zeke thought he was getting ?
62-17, with two seasons to go. Currently, I would think he'll start the 2018-19 rankings top-8. Don't know these kids from Adam, seems to me they place a ton of pressure on themselves to succeed. When they don't have the ultimate success, as Zahid certainly has, it can be the mental side of things that become a factor. I remember Anthony quitting or threatening to quit several years ago. I also believe having Zeke as their coach is a good thing, he can help with the mental aspects.

62-17, with two seasons to go. Currently, I would think he'll start the 2018-19 rankings top-8. Don't know these kids from Adam, seems to me they place a ton of pressure on themselves to succeed. When they don't have the ultimate success, as Zahid certainly has, it can be the mental side of things that become a factor. I remember Anthony quitting or threatening to quit several years ago. I also believe having Zeke as their coach is a good thing, he can help with the mental aspects.

I agree ,,I’d want to have Zeke if not for Cael and the kid has a few years yet to achieve more, but that record might be deceptive, gotta figure competition and placement at NCAAs , along with him being ranked a top 5 high school pfp prospect, fair or not it hasn’t been what anybody thought. I don’t think he’ll achieve a bunch at 165 this year without much improvement, deep weight as you laid out well

With all the talk about ASU being on the schedule, this seems to be good timing to post their potential lineup:

My bet is that Pagdilao goes at 157.

Middle of the Line up will be:

149 - Maruca
157 - Paglidao
165 - Shields
174 - A. Valencia
184 - Z. Valencia

125 – Milhoff (Sr)

A 1-time AA with Oklahoma in 2016 (7th place), Milhoff went 2-2 for ASU in last year’s tournament from the 15 seed (17-7 season record).

133 – Courtney (Fr)

Courtney may enter the lineup here after a 14-2 redshirt season @125 (losses against Bresser and Piotrowski). His best win was against NCAA qualifier Rayvon Foley. Kramer (Jr) is also in the mix here (13-8 last season @125) with some notable wins against NCAA qualifiers Louie Hayes and Drew Mattin. Naser went 0-2 from the 15 seed last year (21-13 season record) for ASU.

141 – Mason Smith (Jr)

Smith transfers in from Central Michigan. He is a 2-time qualifier (1-2 last year from the 10 seed and 1-2 in 2017). Villareal was the starter for ASU last year, going 11-18 and not qualifying for the NCAA tournament.

149 – Maruca (Jr)

Maruca returns to the lineup. He qualified for the NCAA tournament in 2017, going 2-2. Former NCAA champ, Tsirtsis was an AA for ASU last year finishing 7th. Former NCAA qualifier (0-2 in 2015) Pagdilao (Sr) could also be an option here.

157 – Shields (Jr)

Shields was an AA last year, finishing 7th from the 4 seed (34-4 season record). He went 1-2 in the tournament in 2017. [Jacori Teemer is an incoming true freshman. If there’s movement with the Valencias and Shields, perhaps Teemer may find his way into the lineup.]

165 – A. Valencia (Jr)

For now, I’m assuming Anthony stays at 165. He’s a 2-time qualifier going 2-2 last year from the 15 seed and r12 in 2017.

174 – Z. Valencia (Jr)

For now, I’m also assuming that Zahid stays at the same weight as last year. The national champ from last year and 3rd place finisher from 2017, Zahid is sporting a career record of 70-1. I’m looking forward to multiple rematches with Hall.

184 – Norfleet (So)

Norfleet went 12-13 as a true freshman starter last year, going 0-2 in the NCAA tournament (he qualified by winning the Pac-12 tournament).

197 – Belshay (So)

Heavy – Hall (Sr)

Hall had a disappointing tournament last year, going 2-2 from the 8 seed. Hall finished 3rd in 2017 and R12 in 2016.

Arizona State returns 2 (Z. Valencia and Shields) of last year’s AAs and loses 1 (Tsirtsis). ASU also returns 2 former AAs (Milhoff and Hall). Compared to last year, I think there is some upside potential at several weight classes and ASU has very good wrestlers replacing the starters they lose from last year. ASU should improve upon their finish from last year (10th/43 points).

With A. Valencia redshirting, Christian Pagdilao (Sr) enters the lineup @165 or @157. He was a NCAA qualifier @149 way back in 2015, going 0-2. Or maybe Jacen Petersen (Sr), who also was a former starter (never qualified for the tournament) cracks the lineup @165. Or maybe Needanap's scenario will happen with Shields @165. Who knows... I'm just jealous that ASU is at Penn State first.

Last edited:
With A. Valencia redshirting, Christian Pagdilao (Sr) enters the lineup @165. He was a NCAA qualifier @149 way back in 2015, going 0-2. Or maybe Jacen Petersen (Sr), who also was a former starter (never qualified for the tournament). Or maybe Needanap's scenario will happen with Shields @165. Who knows... I'm just jealous that ASU is at Penn State first.

Didn’t he already red shirt?

AV already redshirted in his first year, so I don't think this can happen.

125 – Milhoff (Sr) <Collins Hill, GA>

133 – Courtney (Fr) <Desert Edge, AZ>

141 – Mason Smith (Jr) <Clio, MI>

149 – Maruca (Jr) <Franklin Regional, PA>

157 – Shields (Jr) <Franklin Regional, PA>

165 – A. Valencia (Jr) <St. John Bosco, CA>

174 – Z. Valencia (Jr) <St. John Bosco, CA>

184 – Norfleet (So) <Marian Catholic, IL>

197 – Belshay (So) <Buchanan, CA>

Heavy – Hall (Sr) <Meridian, ID>

Edit: added high schools
No picture at the end of this review?! I'll nominate this one, as it was one of the first microbreweries in the U.S., and it was opened by a longtime friend of mine.
four_peaks_tempe.png

No picture at the end of this review?! I'll nominate this one, as it was one of the first microbreweries in the U.S., and it was opened by a longtime friend of mine.
four_peaks_tempe.png

I did this one before I started inserting pictures. Thanks for the reminder though. I added a pic...

Well it looks like he's going this year. His hashtag is 2019 NCAA champ. I'm excited that he's going because AV vs VJ is going to be a good one! Unless they wrestled in high school they have never wrestled before.

None of them can tell him how his body feels ... except all of them can. "Son, I said you don't feel good and that's final" -- no coach has ever said that before.

Well it looks like he's going this year. His hashtag is 2019 NCAA champ. I'm excited that he's going because AV vs VJ is going to be a good one! Unless they wrestled in high school they have never wrestled before.

They wrestled in FS twice in 2016
At 2016 Open Wrestling Championships in April, VJ pinned AV in 3rd place match. VJ lost 8-4 to Mark Hall in semis
At 2016 UWW Jr. World Team Trials in May, VJ beat AV 13-13 (after being down 13-4) in semis. VJ would lose 5-2 to Nolf in challenge finals. Nolf would lose 10-0, 10-6 to Mark Hall in best of 3 to make the Jr World team.

ASU Undie Run

While ranking are subjective, 2, 3, 4, 1. More data is probably required.

They wrestled in FS twice in 2016
At 2016 Open Wrestling Championships in April, VJ pinned AV in 3rd place match. VJ lost 8-4 to Mark Hall in semis
At 2016 UWW Jr. World Team Trials in May, VJ beat AV 13-13 (after being down 13-4) in semis. VJ would lose 5-2 to Nolf in challenge finals. Nolf would lose 10-0, 10-6 to Mark Hall in best of 3 to make the Jr World team.
Remember the open match well. That's the same tournament where VJ pinned Joe Smith. I knew Hall was a stud but after watching Cenzo I felt real good about the future

ASU Undie Run

While ranking are subjective, 2, 3, 4, 1. More data is probably required.
If being honest and speaking truthfully, ranking in order seems a bit much. I believe in a binary ranking system. Either yes I would or no I wouldn't.
1 yes I would
2 yes I would
3 yes I would
4 yes I would

ADVERTISEMENT