ADVERTISEMENT

Are we behind or ahead most schools with facilities?

Chickadee34

Gold Member
May 2, 2018
Mahanoy, PA
I know I know, there are some MAJORRR upgrades being done this offseason, but I'm very curious where we are in terms of other Big Ten schools and name football programs??? I know it is an "arms race "and there is new stuff every year, but does anyone know how we compare? Only comparison I can find is that dumb Big Game Twitter account that hates us for some reason.

Question is does this even matter any more in NIL world? would it be better served towards pay for play with minor upgrades over time? Is a kid getting 500k gonna care that your weight room is only 4000 square feet versus 5000- square feet? That crap used to matter before NIL. and if it is still going to matter why not have the NIL partners foot the bill for your upgrades as well?

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Question is does this even matter any more in NIL world? would it be better served towards pay for play with minor upgrades over time? Is a kid getting 500k gonna care that your weight room is only 4000 square feet versus 5000- square feet? That crap used to matter before NIL. and if it is still going to matter why not have the NIL partners foot the bill for your upgrades as well?
My guess is that it's going to take both amazing facilities and NIL big $$$ to be a top 5-10 team in the years to come.

I know I know, there are some MAJORRR upgrades being done this offseason, but I'm very curious where we are in terms of other Big Ten schools and name football programs??? I know it is an "arms race "and there is new stuff every year, but does anyone know how we compare? Only comparison I can find is that dumb Big Game Twitter account that hates us for some reason.
We are ahead of most D1A schools and on par with the majority of peer (football) institutions.

• Haha
Reactions: bison13 and PSU_Nut
Both LSU and Oklahoma put "180 Million" into their facilities a year of so ago, let alone what Oregon has done over the years! Their locker rooms, workout rooms, and treating facilities are out of sight.

Meanwhile, as Sandy departs over the sunset, she is still trying to figure out how to renovate the press boxes and get the splinters out of your ass with those antiquated bench seats! Don't have a clue what the woman did when she was here, other than talk about a plan to renovate Beaver Stadium.

Both LSU and Oklahoma put "180 Million" into their facilities a year of so ago, let alone what Oregon has done over the years! Their locker rooms, workout rooms, and treating facilities are out of sight.

Meanwhile, as Sandy departs over the sunset, she is still trying to figure out how to renovate the press boxes and get the splinters out of your ass with those antiquated bench seats! Don't have a clue what the woman did when she was here, other than talk about a plan to renovate Beaver Stadium.
The problem started way before Sandy got here. She was handed a pile of crap to begin with. She did get several Lasch building renovations done and started. The blame falls squarely on Curly who let the football facilities rot. Penn State had too not facilities in the late 90s and then no money was ever put into them until Franklin got here. Heck when O’Brien got here they still had a weight room full of nautilus equipment that would have been outdated even for your local Curves.

Last edited:
PSU is in the bottom half of the big 10. OSU, UM, NW, ILL, UW, UN, etc....

The upgrades in Lasch that have been completed are comparable and with the training room and weight room under construction targeted to be done by August, that will help. Closing in the second floor outdoor balcony for entertaining will be a great add. Holuba is generally comparable to other schools indoor facilities at this point. Other areas we lack is a training table area. We currently use a dining room in Pollock. Most schools now have that as part of the football building. Our dorm rooms are sadly lacking in comparison. The Nittany apartments near Lasch haven't been updated since built many years ago. From a player point of view, Beaver Stadium is great. The locker room is huge compared to most stadium, the crowd is large and close, etc. From a fans point of view, there are needed improvements like concessions, restrooms, ingress and egress, etc.

Reactions: bison13
At no point in time should a program like Illinois have better football facilities than Penn State. Such a reality is a derelict of duty.
This is nonsensical thinking. Lesser Big Ten programs need facilities to keep up. Penn State does not. Our facilities are on par with Michigan and Virginia Tech. Those are the schools we need to worry about. Anything more is a waste of money and we are already spending a ton of money given the uncertain nature of the game.

This is nonsensical thinking. Lesser Big Ten programs need facilities to keep up. Penn State does not. Our facilities are on par with Michigan and Virginia Tech. Those are the schools we need to worry about. Anything more is a waste of money and we are already spending a ton of money given the uncertain nature of the game.
Stop, you have no idea what you are talking about.

They are not on par with either of them. If facilities don’t matter why does Clemson and Alabama have probably the best in the country?

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Thats funny. Now let your house get dated and see how it affects perception of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT