ADVERTISEMENT

are olympic wrestlers healthy? do they take training partners with them

psykim

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2001
As far anyone knows, have our 5 freestyle wrestlers and the women freestyle wrestlers stayed or gotten healthy as the Olympics are not far away/
They have to practice against someone of similar weight. Do they bring training partners with them? thank you.

As far anyone knows, have our 5 freestyle wrestlers and the women freestyle wrestlers stayed or gotten healthy as the Olympics are not far away/
They have to practice against someone of similar weight. Do they bring training partners with them? thank you.

No. They have to find locals, usually drifters and vagabonds, and hope they are around the appropriate weight.

It's one of the unique challenges of international wrestling.

Looks like no spectators for the Tokyo Olympics due to the latest Covid surge.

Anyone know how the TV coverage for wrestling will break down? Premium package necessary?

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Legit question for someone not in the know. Yes, they take coaches and one partner. AB is Davids partner. Great experience for the college fella to see the process and CStar is going too. Our RTC provides many great opportunities for our kids!
Think about the experience for AB and CStar. Obviously they get to roll around with these guy in the room regularly. But add in the whole Olympic experience..... understanding how an Olympic competitor prepares, the atmosphere, see other world class wrestlers compete live, etc. Just an incredible experience which can only help them in their NCAA and future Olympic aspirations. And the added value of the NLWC. If you are a recruit and you can see guys just a year or so older than you (AB and CStar) accompanying/training our Olympic reps sure can't hurt on the recruiting trail.

Anyone know how the TV coverage for wrestling will break down? Premium package necessary?
I don't have a definite answer but Comcast/NBC announced they will have 7,000 hours of Olympic content between live/replayed events on several networks, On Demand, and Peacock streaming. Im hopeful that we'll be able to watch wrestling through one of those platforms.

Reactions: hlstone and royboy
Maybe CStar in with Dake? Who is with Gilman?
Gilman no longer needs a human training partner. He now practices with his shadow. He drives it out of bounds at twilight. He takes it down with elegant tai chi-like moves on cloudy days. He stalks its tracks in the ink of midnight. And he gut wrenches it gently when he is lying down after a light meal of mist and fog.

He is planning to stow the shadow aboard his flight to Japan in a duffle bag that resembles a hobo's sack. (The unconfirmed rumor is that his journey to Tokyo will be on the soft feathers of a large Red-crowned kamikaze crane.)

His shadow speaks fluent Japanese. It murmurs one word over and over to him: 勝利

Legit question for someone not in the know. Yes, they take coaches and one partner. AB is Davids partner. Great experience for the college fella to see the process and CStar is going too. Our RTC provides many great opportunities for our kids!
OMG, this is friggen awesome.

The first time I hosted Japanese customers in the US, I asked for advise on culture. The War was the first thing. Interestingly, after a few bottles of wine, the elder statesman started talking about his experiences as a child.

Every jaw dropped…….it was amazing and gut wrenching. If he was bitter, it didn’t show. Suddenly he realized everyone was completely focused on him, he changed the subject like nothing happened.

I really like Japan

I'm confused, as usual.

5 a.m. – 9 a.m.- Wrestling Finals (LIVE): Greco-Roman 67kg Final; Greco-Roman 87kg Final
Women’s Freestyle 62g Final; Men’s Freestyle 57kg Semifinals; Men’s Freestyle 86kg Semifinals;

10 p.m. – 12:30 a.m. - Wrestling Qualifying Rounds (LIVE) - Women’s Freestyle 53kg, Women’s Freestyle 57kg, Men’s Freestyle 57kg, Men’s Freestyle 74k, Men’s Freestyle 86kg, Men’s Freestyle 125kg

So, the semis for 57kg and 86kg are from 5-9am, and the qualifying rounds for 57kg and 86kg are from 10pm-12:30am?

Japan time: Qualifying is 11am-1:30pm. Semis are 6pm-10pm. For us, they take place over two days.

I thought I saw a Gilman interview where he said that Jordan Conaway was his choice because he is willing to go the extra mile and and do what ever is asked of him

Reactions: Dogwelder
The first time I hosted Japanese customers in the US, I asked for advise on culture. The War was the first thing. Interestingly, after a few bottles of wine, the elder statesman started talking about his experiences as a child.

Every jaw dropped…….it was amazing and gut wrenching. If he was bitter, it didn’t show. Suddenly he realized everyone was completely focused on him, he changed the subject like nothing happened.

I really like Japan
First time I went to Japan, my business adversary picked me up at the airport and took me drinking. We both got demolished. He picked me up the next afternoon at the hotel ...... and again we went drinking (and ate some god awful “live” fish. Again, we sat in a bar until past midnight. On the third day he picked me up at the hotel and we went to work. I finally said: “what’s the deal with all the booze?” He said that his firm likes to get to know a person before entering into negotiations. I’m sure he could have taken my shirt, but, we ended up with a deal that satisfied our respective bosses. I really like Japan too!

First time I went to Japan, my business adversary picked me up at the airport and took me drinking. We both got demolished. He picked me up the next afternoon at the hotel ...... and again we went drinking (and ate some god awful “live” fish. Again, we sat in a bar until past midnight. On the third day he picked me up at the hotel and we went to work. I finally said: “what’s the deal with all the booze?” He said that his firm likes to get to know a person before entering into negotiations. I’m sure he could have taken my shirt, but, we ended up with a deal that satisfied our respective bosses. I really like Japan too!
Heard Gilman is taking lee

Reactions: PASLP2 and danoftw

For those that don't get the Olympic Channel, I suggest seeing if a Free Trial is available for Hulu Live. The channel is included there and Hulu Live will give you the other channels showing Olympic Coverage and local channels in most places. DVR cloud space is available as well for those that want to record. 100 hours, I think. They usually run free trials.

Go check out USA Wrestling. They listed all the coverage

Reactions: royboy
That
No. They have to find locals, usually drifters and vagabonds, and hope they are around the appropriate weight.

It's one of the unique challenges of international wrestling.
Was rude and unacceptable. The guy as
thank you Mr. Brooks for giving a legitimate answer to a legitimate question

I really like Japan
I used to work for a Japanese owned company. They would rotate a few Japanese engineers and managers. In one meeting, a production manager was worried about any potential surprises with a project … he said “we don’t want to get Pearl Harbor-ed”. Several Japanese in the meeting. Extremely cringe worthy!

My wife and I were on a cruise and sat for dinner with a nice elderly couple. I had recently spent 4 months working in Germany and was excited when they said they were born in Germany. I asked them the last time they were back to visit. They said coldly “they left in 1939”. I knew not to ask about any remaining family there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT