Is a grill cover worth it?

• Yes, absolutely!

Votes: 30 78.9%
  • No, waste of money.

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters

91Joe95

Aug 15, 2003
My parents bought a Weber Spirit E315 natural gas grill. It has a stainless steel firebox, and almost like a plastic coating on the support legs. Is a grill cover necessary or worth it? TIA.

Yes, a grill cover is worth it because it protects the grill from weather elements but also keeps out pesky animals from trying to get into the grill where there may be grease and small food particles. A few of my friends do not have grill covers and I see rust and other impacts of weather on their grill.

But I need to find a new long-lasting grill cover. I bought a black canvas grill cover at Home Depot 4 years ago and it is falling apart. It has turned gray and has a few small tears in the canvas, due to the impact of weather. Anyone know of a long-lasting and strong grill cover?

Reactions: bison13 and 91Joe95
I have a Weber and use a grill cover. In my opinion the real benefit is using the cover during the winter months. In days past I did not do much grilling in the winter but would from time to time venture outside remove the cover and do some grilling. The cover kept snow off the grill and made the grill ready to use. Now I go to Florida for the winter and the cover protects the grill for the months I am gone. During the summer when I grill frequently the cover does not do much.

I agree with PSU Lions Dub the cover keeps out small animals. I bought a Weber cover for my Weber grill and it works great. Still black and no holes or fraying.

Reactions: Bob78 and 91Joe95
It depends on how often you use the grill. I use mine 3 or 4 days a week year round so no cover for me. My Weber is over 20 years old and working fine.

Reactions: 91Joe95
My parents bought a Weber Spirit E315 natural gas grill. It has a stainless steel firebox, and almost like a plastic coating on the support legs. Is a grill cover necessary or worth it? TIA.
If you live in a windy area they aren't worth the hassle. Also, as for the poster worried about snow, once you fire the grill up the snow actually melts off. 😉

I use one and find it useful. If I lived somewhere colder I would probably just store mine in the garage in the winter but living in Kentucky I use the grill all year. There is rarely a week that I don’t use it.

I also have a weber and find it gives a place for small animals to live. 15 year old and in great shape. Had a cover, used it for maybe 4 years, but found it more trouble then it was worth. Had many times where i grilled before it rained. Could not put it on right away so it would get all wet then I had to dry it out or it became a sauna tent and made things worse. I will say the weber covers are great, still have mine just do not use it. Neighbors cover only lasted about 2 years and I grilled way more then him.

I have a Weber spirit and always cover it and did the same for the old charbroil I had for 10 years - the cover added probable 5 years to its life here in NE PA - I do grill all year round.

I will give a qualified yes. If you bought a good gas grill such as a MHP, Pheonix, PGS, DCS or one of the higher level Weber grills than yes. If well maintained, a MHP, PGS, DCS class grill will last 25 plus years. A Weber Genesis should last at least 10 to 15. Unless you live in the desert, anything less is probably not worth it due to a limited shelf life. For those with ceramic grills such as a Kamado Joe, Primo or Green Egg, absolutely.

Use a cover but have a bungee cord for extra security. Wind took mine a few years ago someone locally took it off the street, yeah that quick.

I have a grill cover, but no real opinion on how beneficial it is. If you decide to buy one, look for the Kingkong brand. Same cover from the same Chinese factory that manufactures for Weber at about half the price.

I would recommend a non-Weber cover for the newer Weber’s because they’ve cheapened the quality of grill materials over the past 10 years. The older Spirits, Genesis’ would hold up exposed to weather, but not so much anymore.

The old OEM Weber covers were almost indestructible but Weber cheapened the cloth on their new covers and they’re junk. You’re better buying a non-Weber cover with good ratings off Amazon

Reactions: PSJimbo and 91Joe95
I have a Weber and use a grill cover. In my opinion the real benefit is using the cover during the winter months. In days past I did not do much grilling in the winter but would from time to time venture outside remove the cover and do some grilling. The cover kept snow off the grill and made the grill ready to use. Now I go to Florida for the winter and the cover protects the grill for the months I am gone. During the summer when I grill frequently the cover does not do much.
This^^^^
It also depends on the grill. Sometimes the covers actually trap moisture and can cause mold or for it to rust from the inside out. I leave my Komada Joe uncovered, while cover my TEC (wich is 100% stainless). Metal is core ft, the major benefit is in winter keeping snow off.

I use those large rubber bands that movers use to keep my cover from flying away. You can get 20 of them o. Amazon for about $5. TheY deteriate in about 5 months from the UV's, but you have a 10year supply.

Weber grill covers are pricey but worth it... at least the ones they made 10yrs ago... their current offerings leave me skeptical as they are not nearly as heavy as the OEM Weber cover I used on my old Genesis Silver series

$35 unbranded alternatives are good only for about three seasons - fabric will fail ... ask me how I know

Weber grills, even the stainless ones, will suffer if left exposed to the elements... the quality of the SS they use in current Genesis models is questionable- ask me how I know

Last edited:
Weber grill covers are pricey but worth it... at least the ones they made 10yrs ago... their current offerings leave me skeptical as they are not nearly as heavy as the OEM Weber cover I used on my old Genesis Silver series

$35 unbranded alternatives are good only for about three seasons - fabric will fail ... ask me how I know

Weber grills, even the stainless ones, will suffer if left exposed to the elements...
Have had webers for a while now.Always get a cover its worth it

I will give a qualified yes. If you bought a good gas grill such as a MHP, Pheonix, PGS, DCS or one of the higher level Weber grills than yes. If well maintained, a MHP, PGS, DCS class grill will last 25 plus years. A Weber Genesis should last at least 10 to 15. Unless you live in the desert, anything less is probably not worth it due to a limited shelf life. For those with ceramic grills such as a Kamado Joe, Primo or Green Egg, absolutely.

You will still need to replace some parts on these grills. I’ve got a 13 year old Weber Summit, stored on a porch with a cover, and just replaced the gas manifold.

Yes, a grill cover is worth it because it protects the grill from weather elements but also keeps out pesky animals from trying to get into the grill where there may be grease and small food particles. A few of my friends do not have grill covers and I see rust and other impacts of weather on their grill.

But I need to find a new long-lasting grill cover. I bought a black canvas grill cover at Home Depot 4 years ago and it is falling apart. It has turned gray and has a few small tears in the canvas, due to the impact of weather. Anyone know of a long-lasting and strong grill cover?

Yes to the grill cover question.

As for a good cover, I got a heavy duty one at Costco and it has held up very well.....haven't seen them in-store in a while but check the website if you're a member.

I have bought the Gorilla brand covers off Amazon For my two grills. Far better than Weber covers. Don’t fade or rip. I recommend them. Lower in price too.

I've gotten three grill covers over the past 20 years as gifts and have sold all of them on Craigslist without taking them out of the package.

I have bought the Gorilla brand covers off Amazon For my two grills. Far better than Weber covers. Don’t fade or rip. I recommend them. Lower in price too.

factory Weber cover I had on a previous Genesis Silver series wore like IRON.... no fading, no failures...

gave it to my nephew about 5yrs ago when I “upgraded” to the new Genesis e-330 series (which is garbage compared to the iconic Genesis series from 20yrs ago) , and that old cover, and that old Weber, still look good...

passed on the pricey Weber cover for my current unit as it felt lightweight/cheap for $79 cover

ADVERTISEMENT