ADVERTISEMENT

Appears as if Manny Bowen is back with the team.....

People are poo-pooing his talent. He started as a true sophomore, returning two year starter. Came in as a composite 4 star, top 250 recruit with offers from Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Miami, ND, Tennessee, etc. Great athlete. HUGE boost for the defense if true. Allows you to bring along the youngsters at a measured pace, get them experience without exposing them to situations they aren't ready for too soon.

59fe4a7372b90.image.jpg

59ec16065c6b7.image.jpg

Pretty sure we called this in the ‘best LB this year’ poll...

I am curious as to where you guys see Bowen playing and who will see a diminished role because of his presence? I will be the outlier here and say, although he is a very good athlete and a highly regarded recruit, IMHO Manny was not a good LB over the past three years. His problems, IMO, are that he is not physically strong enough to be a run stuffing inside the box LB and he is lost in pass coverage. So while it is exciting to have another experienced and athletic LB on the depth chart, where does he play? If we were looking at a 4 man rotation of Farmer, Brown, Parsons and either Johnson or Brooks in the middle, who is the odd man out?
With all that said, if Manny returns and graduates from PSU it will be a classic success story that Coach Franklin can be extremely proud of.

I am curious as to where you guys see Bowen playing and who will see a diminished role because of his presence? I will be the outlier here and say, although he is a very good athlete and a highly regarded recruit, IMHO Manny was not a good LB over the past three years. His problems, IMO, are that he is not physically strong enough to be a run stuffing inside the box LB and he is lost in pass coverage. So while it is exciting to have another experienced and athletic LB on the depth chart, where does he play? If we were looking at a 4 man rotation of Farmer, Brown, Parsons and either Johnson or Brooks in the middle, who is the odd man out?
With all that said, if Manny returns and graduates from PSU it will be a classic success story that Coach Franklin can be extremely proud of.

Parsons, Brooks, and Johnson aren't going to come close, this season, to what Bowen is on the field. Jan Johnson and Bowen are the same class, IIRC, and Bowen was starting while Jan Johnson was like 4th string.

On defense, it isn't like playing only one QB or one unit on the OL. They will all play. Penn State goes 2 or 3 deep on their depth chart all through the game. Parsons, Brown, Johnson will all see the field. It isn't an all or nothing thing.

Reactions: Notsofastmyfriend21
Parsons, Brooks, and Johnson aren't going to come close, this season, to what Bowen is on the field. Jan Johnson and Bowen are the same class, IIRC, and Bowen was starting while Jan Johnson was like 4th string.

On defense, it isn't like playing only one QB or one unit on the OL. They will all play. Penn State goes 2 or 3 deep on their depth chart all through the game. Parsons, Brown, Johnson will all see the field. It isn't an all or nothing thing.
I guess my point is, it would appear Bowen, Brown and Parsons are all weakside LB (as of now). They won't play 3 kids at that position so someone will be odd man out. Parsons is not coming to sit on the bench so that would suggest Manny and Cam Brown will compete for snaps. Based on Manny's production the past 3 years I can envision Brown having a legitimate chance to win the job. I mentioned Johnson only because I have seen speculation that Bowen could move to MLB and if he does he would be competing with Johnson and Brooks.
That said, the more good players the better so I will never complain about the presence of depth.

You have to CJF and Bowen the benefit of the doubt, and if true, that it was earned and deserved. At the very least, Bowen provides experienced depth to the LB core, giving Parsons and Brooks time to develop and get their feet wet.

That being said, there is not a lot of chatter on the web or on twitter. I would think that it would be best to wait until a reporter sees him in pads at practice or until MorrisdaleMiner confirms.

I guess my point is, it would appear Bowen, Brown and Parsons are all weakside LB (as of now). They won't play 3 kids at that position so someone will be odd man out. Parsons is not coming to sit on the bench so that would suggest Manny and Cam Brown will compete for snaps. Based on Manny's production the past 3 years I can envision Brown having a legitimate chance to win the job. I mentioned Johnson only because I have seen speculation that Bowen could move to MLB and if he does he would be competing with Johnson and Brooks.
That said, the more good players the better so I will never complain about the presence of depth.

AGAIN....they will all get snaps. There is no "odd man out". They will all play and as the season moves along, whoever is playing best will get the majority of the reps. Parsons wasn't guaranteed a starting position and I would be surprised if he is a starter at the beginning of the season.

Reactions: TheGLOV

He improves the level of competition in practice which ALWAYS makes the team better. He is an additional linebacker with experience which also makes the team better. It also adds to the rotation, allowing players to remain fresh during the game.

Reactions: LionJim
AGAIN....they will all get snaps. There is no "odd man out". They will all play and as the season moves along, whoever is playing best will get the majority of the reps. Parsons wasn't guaranteed a starting position and I would be surprised if he is a starter at the beginning of the season.
I agree about Parsons, but he won't be number 3 and he will play a lot of football as the year goes on. I think PSU has recruited a lot of LB who are very similar and this would include Farmer, Miller and the others mentioned here. Agree also that whoever is playing best will get the reps and that is sort of my point. I would not consider it a given that Manny will necessarily play a huge role. If he does hopefully it is a sign he is playing very well.

Should he return, Manny immediately becomes the best LB on the squad. Maybe he isn't in the same class as Poz, Connor, Lee or Bowman, but his return would be a huge boost at an area of concern (due to experience and not talent).

Farmer - Brown - Bowen to open things up. They might end up flipping Brown and Bowen. In the end no one on the roster is going to play MLB the way Cabinda did, but then Cabinda didn't play it the same way Connor or Lee did and that is ok. It'll be a different style this year but the coaches will find a way for it to work with this collection of talent.

That said, September 29th at around 8:15 PM, 3rd and 6 from the own 29 Ohio State will lineup against a nickal D with Bowen in the center and Parsons scraping off the edge as Simmons insides stunts and Micah will have a clear look Haskins backside.

Farmer - Brown - Bowen to open things up. They might end up flipping Brown and Bowen. In the end no one on the roster is going to play MLB the way Cabinda did, but then Cabinda didn't play it the same way Connor or Lee did and that is ok. It'll be a different style this year but the coaches will find a way for it to work with this collection of talent.

That said, September 29th at around 8:15 PM, 3rd and 6 from the own 29 Ohio State will lineup against a nickal D with Bowen in the center and Parsons scraping off the edge as Simmons insides stunts and Micah will have a clear look Haskins backside.

What about Gross-Matos?? He's not just going to let his chances slip away for anyone sir.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

With the 4/3 over, you have two "box" linebackers. There really isn't as much difference between Will and Mike as there is in a traditional 4/3 with two outside linebackers vs. the middle linebacker.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and TheGLOV

I say Parsons starts from game 1

.....if instagram comments from multiple psu players are to be believed.

CJF has a good habit of updating the PSU site roster for changes. As of today Bowen is NOT on the roster.

Obviously that does not mean he won't be available for the start of Fall practice. But for the sake of Bowen hitting the ground running, so to speak, it would be better if he could participate in the July S&C program........

Last edited:
No, but there's a bunch of kids who could have their tuition paid for by "alternative" means to free up scholarship money.

It would be too easy to get caught doing this. Can you imagine if numerous 5 star athletes (or starters) with no independent means chose to go to Alabama without scholarships and the representation made by the University was that they paid their own way?

It would be too easy to get caught doing this. Can you imagine if numerous 5 star athletes (or starters) with no independent means chose to go to Alabama without scholarships and the representation made by the University was that they paid their own way?

Those same kids are driving around in fancy cars now

I'm OK with this, as long as there's room. Seemed like a nice kid. Played hard on ST. Never quite learned how to maintain his concentration as a receiver.

There has been smoke for a long time about Bowen. I posted a tweet of his months ago where he hinted he was working his way back on the team. There has been nothing about Irv Charles that I've seen or heard.

Should he return, Manny immediately becomes the best LB on the squad. Maybe he isn't in the same class as Poz, Connor, Lee or Bowman, but his return would be a huge boost at an area of concern (due to experience and not talent).

I think Bowen is a good linebacker. Not elite, not great, but good. And I think he would be a huge addition to the linebacking core, which says a lot about what I think of the linebacker group at the moment.

Last edited:

Bingo. If what you suggest took place, other schools would rat out the potentially offending program and the NCAA would be up its ass with a very large speculum posthaste.

The way it works with some on this board is that if they see something they can't explain with their limited knowledge of the situation or rules they automatically assume that either the coaches are cheating or don't know what they're doing.

Bingo. If what you suggest took place, other schools would rat out the potentially offending program and the NCAA would be up its ass with a very large speculum posthaste.

The way it works with some on this board is that if they see something they can't explain with their limited knowledge of the situation or rules they automatically assume that either the coaches are cheating or don't know what they're doing.

Like ND Art??

for whatever reason...
College football walk-ons: an uphill battle that can be won
Frank Fitzpatrick | The Philadelphia Inquirer
Last Updated - Dec 15, 2015 16:16 EST
Contact |Archive |RSS

Walk-ons are college football's dreamers.

NCAA FOOTBALL ON SOCIAL MEDIA
ncaa-football-logo.png

JOIN THE TEAM.

Most, content to imagine some Rudy-like moment on an autumn afternoon, endure all the game's thankless rigors while enjoying little of its glory. The more ambitious hope to shine brightly enough to earn scholarships. And a few -- inspired by the long-shot stories of Antonio Brown, J.J. Watt, and others -- envision themselves on NFL rosters.

While the motivations of walk-ons haven't changed much since Amos Alonzo Stagg devised the concept of athletic scholarships in 1892, their prominence has.

Thanks primarily to Rudy, the rousing 1993 movie about Notre Dame's Rudy Ruettiger, and the professional stardom of one-time walk-ons like Brown, Watt, Jordy Nelson, and Clay Matthews, the subject has moved out of the shadows.

RELATED: The best movies about college sports

Books, newspapers, and magazines regularly chronicle the best of these football fairy tales. Several websites are devoted to the subject. Next month, Greater, a film about Arkansas' Brandon Burlsworth, who went from walk-on to all-American before dying in a 1999 car crash, is scheduled to be released.

And since 2010, the Burlsworth Trophy has been awarded to the top collegiate player who began as a walk-on, an honor that this year went to Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield.

"There's no question that we're hearing more about walk-ons than ever before," said Dave Frank, vice-president of Athnet, a company that advises and tracks these athletes. "The Internet and social media help get these stories out there."

Locally, Penn State defensive end Carl Nassib, a walk-on from Malvern Prep, led the nation in sacks, won the Lombardi (best lineman) and Hendricks (best defensive end) Awards and was a Burlsworth Trophy finalist. And at Temple, New Jersey's Will Hayes became the starting strong safety and a respected leader for the bowl-bound Owls.

RELATED: Complete 2015-16 college football bowl schedule

"Starting out as a walk-on definitely was a tough challenge," said Hayes, who as a two-way star at Howell High attracted no interest from Division I or II schools. "But I would recommend it to anyone. If you're really convinced you're as good as you think you are, you shouldn't settle for something less."

Nassib, whose grit earned him a scholarship at a time when NCAA sanctions limited Penn State to just 65, said that even as an undersized, walk-on freshman, he never doubted himself.

"You need to have that," he said. "You can't second-guess yourself or you'll get pummeled by 300-pound guys."

No one knows precisely how many walk-ons there are at the 128 Football Bowl Subdivision schools, where scholarships are capped at 85 but rosters frequently top 100. But by any estimate the number is well over 1,000.

"They're always going to be needed because they give coaches plenty of bodies to practice with, plenty of scout-team players to simulate other team's offense, defense, and sets," said Rick Allen, a former college-athletics compliance officer who operates a consulting business, Informed Athlete, that counsels potential walk-ons and their parents.

Players like Hayes and Nassib, who get scholarships, are the exceptions. Though the NCAA compiles no specific data on walk-ons, experts believe the vast majority quit after a short time.

"That happens all the time when these guys realize they're never going to get off the practice squad," said Frank, "or that they're going to have to do this for two or three years just to maybe get into a game their senior year."

Hayes and Nassib also had the advantage of being "preferred" or "recruited" walk-ons in a two-tiered system.

Those "preferred" or "recruited" usually arrive with guaranteed roster spots. Other hopefuls must try out in the spring.

"At one school, 'preferred' might mean you have a guaranteed spot for a year," said Allen. "But at another it might mean that while you don't have to go through an open tryout, there's still no roster guarantee.

"Another distinction is that Division I walk-ons deemed to have been recruited who then want to transfer to another Division I school must sit out a year, just like scholarship players."

Typically, walk-ons are entitled to the same medical, training, dining, and equipment benefits as scholarship athletes. But occasionally, especially at smaller, non-FBS colleges, they're relegated to substandard locker-room annexes or denied access to the main training table.

"It still happens," said Allen, "but not so much anymore at the Power Five conference schools."

Nassib was focused on eventually going to medical school when Penn State contacted him about walking on. The brother of New York Giants backup quarterback Ryan Nassib, he was thrilled to get an opportunity at a major program in his home state.

"I was like, 'Oh, definitely coming here,' " he said.

He added considerable weight to his 6-foot-7 frame and worked so tirelessly that in 2013 then-coach Bill O'Brien granted him a scholarship.

Hayes, meanwhile, was a 5-9 defensive back who drew interest from only Division III schools. Unwilling to give up his Division I dream, he took the advice of a former Howell teammate and played a year at a prep school, New York's Milford Academy.

Milford went 9-2, Hayes led the team in interceptions, and then-Temple coach Steve Addazio offered him a preferred walk-on spot.

"Even though I didn't have a scholarship, I felt like I could get one and become a starter," Hayes said. "I worked as hard as I could in practice to get noticed. My sophomore year Coach [Matt] Rhule . . . gave me an opportunity to contribute on special teams. And from there I just progressed until I got my scholarship."

Most who walk on, said Allen, are smitten by the prospect of running onto a stadium field in uniform. Blinded by that goal, they often don't investigate further.

"They and their parents don't always do the research," he said. "They need to know how they'll be treated and whether the coach will be interested in them as individuals. What I hear from a lot of parents of walk-ons is, 'Our son chose this place because it was his dream school.' "

And whether a walk-on ends his career satisfied or not probably depends on the scope of his dream.

"If you don't have big dreams," said Hayes, who hopes to play in the NFL, "why even try?"

This article was written by Frank Fitzpatrick from The Philadelphia Inquirer and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network.

px.gif

Those same kids are driving around in fancy cars now
I recognize that there is money being thrown around like that but, right or wrong, the NCAA doesn't monitor what cars the student athletes are driving as closely as the NCAA monitors who is on scholarship and who is not on scholarship. When you start playing games directly with the scholarships that are being provided, the NCAA will be all over any potential abuse.

I hope that Manny doesn’t come back like Pete Harris (Franco’s brother) did after a year off. Pete was an AA safety his junior year and then was JAG after sitting out a year for academic problems. Sadly he died at the early age of 49 from a heart attack in 2006 in Palm Beach Gardens Florida, where he was an executive chef at PGA National resort, coincidentally where my parents lived at the time.

I hope that Manny doesn’t come back like Pete Harris (Franco’s brother) did after a year off. Pete was an AA safety his junior year and then was JAG after sitting out a year for academic problems. Sadly he died at the early age of 49 from a heart attack in 2006 in Palm Beach Gardens Florida, where he was an executive chef at PGA National resort, coincidentally where my parents lived at the time.

Manny, IIRC, played through the Michigan State game on November 4th. He was suspended and missed the last 4 games including the bowl game. So he hasn't exactly taken the year off.

ADVERTISEMENT