ADVERTISEMENT

Appears as if Manny Bowen is back with the team.....

Great news if true....I vaguely remember a tweet or some sort of social media post of his that was shared on here indicating that his PSU journey isn’t finished when it was believed that he was kicked off the team

Reactions: TheGLOV
So....for those that are knowledgeable...I assume Bowen is considered as a walk on, and if someone departs the team, would then be able to get a scholarship?

And before anyone freaks out - yes, I trust CJF and the staff to manage the limits.

Reactions: Howie'81
Did we ever find out why we was suspended?

He failed to follow the directions that are provided in this demonstration video...

giphy.gif

So....for those that are knowledgeable...I assume Bowen is considered as a walk on, and if someone departs the team, would then be able to get a scholarship?

And before anyone freaks out - yes, I trust CJF and the staff to manage the limits.

There are a couple scenarios in which he wouldn't count against the limit, but I doubt any would apply. So walk-on or not, he'd count

Once you a recruited as a scholarship player, I don’t think you can ever become a walk on.

Once you a recruited as a scholarship player, I don’t think you can ever become a walk on.

Semantics, but you can pay your own way after getting a scholarship, but if that happens, you still count against the limit, short of stellar academic feats that get you academic scholarships.

If you could game the system and "walk-on" after getting a scholarship, SEC schools would be littered with walk-ons in the starting lineup.

Reactions: Sharkies
After reading this part of a 2014 article, how can you NOT root for this kid to take full advantage of a second chance?!

A Difficult Time

When Bowen was in eighth grade, his mother, Monica, was diagnosed with breast cancer. That touched off a chain of events that forced Bowen and his two younger brothers, Josh, now a junior in high school, and Livingston, now 12 years old, to face situations that would crumble many adults.

With his mother unable to work as she battled cancer, the family faced financial hardship. It resulted in a move from Barnegat into the sending district for Southern Regional, where Bowen played on the freshman team in 2011.

"My main concern was my mom and taking care of my brothers and making sure we always had food on the table,'' Bowen said. "She couldn't do anything because she was sick.

"We actually weren't paying our bills. That's why we had to move. We had nothing. We actually lost our house and there would be times when there was nothing to eat."

As Bowen's family struggled, so did his performance in the classroom. He was just trying to help his family survive.

"Stuff like that, it really distracts you from your schoolwork,'' he said. "When you're going through a hard time like that, and you see your mom going through that and you don't have a dad around and you're the oldest, you really have got to step up. I shunned my schoolwork and put my family first because that's what really mattered to me."

By his sophomore year, his family had moved again, resulting in a transfer to Central Regional. He had 27 catches for 278 yards and a touchdown as a wide receiver during a 3-6 season for the Golden Eagles in 2012. More importantly, his mother was in remission from her breast cancer by the middle of his sophomore year.

Heading into his junior season last year with his life and career at a crossroads, a crucial arrangement was made thanks to the generosity of an old friend. Bowen transferred to Barnegat and moved in with the family of Bengals quarterback Cinjun Erskine, whose parents became his legal guardians. Bowen's mother signed paperwork authorizing it, as she was still recovering from her illness and wanted to give Bowen stability in a pivotal year for him academically and athletically. It was difficult to separate from his mother and younger brothers, but it was a chance to get some solid ground underneath his feet after years of living day to day.

Erskine and his family had known Bowen for years going back to elementary school, and he had previously lived with them for a stint when he was younger. For Bowen, it was simply a chance to go back to the place he felt he belonged all along.

"Transferring from school to school, every year I'm having to come in and make new friends,'' Bowen said. "It also took a toll on my grades. Barnegat has always been home for me. These guys have been my brothers, and I was going to be back home."

http://shoresportsnetwork.com/finding-his-way-back-home-barnegats-manny-bowen/

Don't know what your definition of a walk-on is, but if a player isn't receiving financial aid he doesn't count.

Reactions: bmw199
Good for the kid trying to get sh*t together. Hopefully things work out both on the field and off going forward.

This is huge if true. Does Bowen take over at MLB? Or does he continue to play outside to give a couple of the FR some time to develop early in the season? Bowen being back just plugged a huge defensive hole and completely changes the potential of the defense in 2018.

Semantics, but you can pay your own way after getting a scholarship, but if that happens, you still count against the limit, short of stellar academic feats that get you academic scholarships.

If you could game the system and "walk-on" after getting a scholarship, SEC schools would be littered with walk-ons in the starting lineup.

Huh? you think there are a whole bunch of kids that can start at Alabama who would pay their own tuition?

If true, wow! There is no other LB on Penn State's roster today, that is on Manny's level in respect to talent and experience. And I can't imagine how hard he will play, given a second chance, and for his family's future financial security. IMO, no doubt he has NFL size and talent.

Reactions: ELDADDY
I don't know the reason why he was initially kicked off the team, but I trust the staff if they bring him back. And if he is indeed back that is a HUGE deal for this defense and the linebacking group. His talent and experience are very much needed.

If true, wow! There is no other LB on Penn State's roster today, that is on Manny's level in respect to talent and experience. And I can't imagine how hard he will play, given a second chance, and for his family's future financial security. IMO, no doubt he has NFL size and talent.

People are poo-pooing his talent. He started as a true sophomore, returning two year starter. Came in as a composite 4 star, top 250 recruit with offers from Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Miami, ND, Tennessee, etc. Great athlete. HUGE boost for the defense if true. Allows you to bring along the youngsters at a measured pace, get them experience without exposing them to situations they aren't ready for too soon.

59fe4a7372b90.image.jpg

59ec16065c6b7.image.jpg

Last edited:
Huh? you think there are a whole bunch of kids that can start at Alabama who would pay their own tuition?

No, but there's a bunch of kids who could have their tuition paid for by "alternative" means to free up scholarship money.

He is the best LB on the roster right now in terms of ability and experience.
I would have questions about his leadership abilities, but there’s no doubt he could direct some traffic and get people in the right places during games.

Guessing he was saying that TIC, especially in terms of bunches.

Setting aside impermissible financial support, even if scholarship players were allowed to support the program by giving up their schollies to increase the roster talent (Art or others might yay or nay that one-never thought to look it up) [and paying their own way] I’d imagine it happening in “bunches” would welcome scrutiny that might not be worth it. And if it actually worked, I’d expect a likely swift rule change to prohibit it.

I never got the impression Peyton or Eli or loads of other kids from families with means needed their schollies to go to their schools of choice. Would just be such an easy end-around to give his schollie to another top recruit.

How about a scholarship based on financial need? Would the NCAA legal geniuses interpret that as a rule violation?

I unfollowed him on IG when he got the boot. Can someone please screenshot or post what it says? TYSM

ADVERTISEMENT