ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently the board denizens are suddenly interested in basketball

BlueBand

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
...based on all of these threads. It couldn't be because we beat a horrendous Pitt team. Because I've been assured that Pitt isn't our rival, and that none of our fans care about playing or beating Pitt. In fact, just scheduling Pitt has ruined our chances at any post season berths. :rolleyes:

For me, I just like that PSU is 5-0 and beat an ACC team with a big game against A&M tonight. That it was Pitt is ehhh...I've only ever really known big ten Penn State, so i guess its a little different.

...based on all of these threads. It couldn't be because we beat a horrendous Pitt team. Because I've been assured that Pitt isn't our rival, and that none of our fans care about playing or beating Pitt. In fact, just scheduling Pitt has ruined our chances at any post season berths. :rolleyes:
I agree and I wish you would stop posting about them since you are just adding to their legitimacy.

I agree and I wish you would stop posting about them since you are just adding to their legitimacy.
We should never schedule a game against them in da burgh, or they might sell out The Pete and they'll be able to afford tarps or curtains for all the other games.

Reactions: nittany dave
A lot of people say that PSU fans aren't interested in basketball and they use poor attendance as proof. I think that's a half truth. PSU is a tough winter evening commute from cities like Harrisburg and Williamsport so they're never going to consistently pack 14,000 into an arena. But look at the crowds during the Talor Battle / NIT championship years? Remember the student buses packed and headed to NYC? I think the problem is an uncompetitive product, not a disinterest in basketball. The hockey team is off to a slow start. This would be a good time to give the fans something to cheer for.

A lot of people say that PSU fans aren't interested in basketball and they use poor attendance as proof. I think that's a half truth. PSU is a tough winter evening commute from cities like Harrisburg and Williamsport so they're never going to consistently pack 14,000 into an arena. But look at the crowds during the Talor Battle / NIT championship years? Remember the student buses packed and headed to NYC? I think the problem is an uncompetitive product, not a disinterest in basketball. The hockey team is off to a slow start. This would be a good time to give the fans something to cheer for.
That is exactly right. I was there plenty in the '90's when we had guys like Cal Booth and Pistol Pete Liscicki and Dan Earl. We weren't a tremendous team, but we won games (some BIG games too) and were competitive. We had skilled guys who made winning plays and we had a coach with some fire. We drew 9,000 regularly for weeknight games and the atmosphere in the Jordan Center was just fine.

You want fans from Harrisburg and Johnstown and Wport to make the drive, then give them something worth watching.

Hockey has no problems because we have lots of talented players who create buzz. We're kinda meh this year (so far) but nobody is upset because we're coming off a B1G Championship and a win in the NCAA. Just when the novelty was starting to wear off, we infused with big time talent and made a strong run. People will shrug off a dull year because the program has already proven that they are major league and it is just a matter of time till we are running at redline again.

Build it and they will come.

I hear you about hockey, but please remember we are only in Year 6 of Division 1 play. Guy has us spoiled. I will be at the games against Robert Morris in Pittsburgh, and the next night in Hockey Valley.. I plan on wearing my NCAA tournament hoodie I got in Cincinnati at the Union game.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
you are right that more psu care about basketball than people realize and it is a really hard day trip to take, that said the BJC is an awful college bball venue. we need to get a bball only facilitiy with a real home court advantage.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I think the fact that we are undefeated has something to do with it, as well as anticipation for this season overall.

if there are more posts about beating Pitt than the Texas A&M game then your premise is probobly correct.

you are right that more psu care about basketball than people realize and it is a really hard day trip to take, that said the BJC is an awful college bball venue. we need to get a bball only facilitiy with a real home court advantage.

We need some place like Rec Hall that has the fans right next to the floor and a great atmosphere when there is a sell out. I would support the Men's Basketball team playing a game or two every year at Rec Hall.

I also enjoyed the game last year at the Palestra. With all of the players from the Philadelphia area on the team, it wouldn't be bad to play some home games over the next couple of years at the Palestra.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Yeah, I love PSU basketball and don’t miss a single game broadcast on cable or the internet. The combination of distance and work commitments prevent me from having season tickets. I’ve tried to find someone or a couple of people to share a seasons worth of games, but have struck out. I couldn’t make a lot of mid week 7:00 games even if the venue was great. They never should have committed to that big of a stadium and it should not have been done with concerts as anything but an afterthought.

Winning will do that.

Had no idea they were playing because basketball is soooo boring. If PSU won, it's now officially better than pitt in EVERY way.

We need some place like Rec Hall that has the fans right next to the floor and a great atmosphere when there is a sell out. I would support the Men's Basketball team playing a game or two every year at Rec Hall.

I also enjoyed the game last year at the Palestra. With all of the players from the Philadelphia area on the team, it wouldn't be bad to play some home games over the next couple of years at the Palestra.

This is pretty dumb. All the games at Rec Hall suck and it's a lousy facility to watch a game.

Yeah, I love PSU basketball and don’t miss a single game broadcast on cable or the internet. The combination of distance and work commitments prevent me from having season tickets. I’ve tried to find someone or a couple of people to share a seasons worth of games, but have struck out. I couldn’t make a lot of mid week 7:00 games even if the venue was great. They never should have committed to that big of a stadium and it should not have been done with concerts as anything but an afterthought.

BJC was a requirement to join the Big Ten. Joining the Big Ten was a requirement to survive.

This is pretty dumb. All the games at Rec Hall suck and it's a lousy facility to watch a game.

I personally love the snakepit that was Rec Hall for Men's Basketball. It is nice to see students packed in the first row fight next to the floor. It is also nice to see the place packed to the rafters with some emotion in the crowd. Granted it didn't happen alot, but it did happened on ocassion and it is pretty neat when it does IMO.

I haven't seen that atmosphere very much at the Jordan Center. Rec Hall also has a great atmosphere for Wrestling and is not bad for Volleyball or Gymnastics.

Do you ever go to a game in Rec Hall @coveydidnt?

What year did you graduate?

apparently, not enough to buy my extra tickets ;).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT