ADVERTISEMENT

AP Article

Super. Congratulations. I guess that entitles Iowa to play in the PouIlan Weedeater We-havent-given-up-more-than-25-points-in-forver Bowl Game. I forget. Is that a New Year's day game or is that one of the semifinals to the championship?
It's a new play-in game for the Quick Lane bowl. The winner gets to spend their Christmas in sunny Detroit preparing for an exciting game against a MAC team.

The reality is, we are who we are at this point in time. The way the game went post-Clifford is unfortunate. There is no point in being upset over this loss, particularly if you were one of the folks who predicted a 2-2 start to this season. Winning band aids deficiency and tints the viewing of the viewer. Real progress can be made now.

1) prepare Roberson more. Settle him down. This is going to prove to be the worst non-OSU environment on the schedule. Were this a lesser team, we probably score more than 3 and hold up better defensively. Iowa is pretty good folks. So are we. We just weren't good enough to win with our backup QB.

2) continue to fix the running game. I don't expect Emmett Smith behind the early 90s Cowboy OL, but we need yardage on the ground. We seem to have gotten better WRT the negative plays, but we gotta turn 2 yard gains into 4, 3 yard gains into 7.

3) reassess defensive breakdowns. Who was supposed to be covering Ragaini on his big play? It appears the closest people to the play were Jacobs (was trailing under the route towards the hash) and Brown (I think he was in Cover 2, the run fake didn't seem to bother him, but he left his zone assuming the play was going right and was in no man's land when the pass went over his head to a WR uncovered).

Where was TCF or whoever was in on that play? Did that corner blitz and I missed it? Great design for a run on first down offense vs an aggressive defense that usually sits still on first down (aka we play a base defense and react, waiting until second or third down to get aggressive).

Chin up folks. We hung in there with a really good team in their house with multiple injuries. You can either look at the upcoming schedule as dire or opportunity to beat multiple ranked teams and get back in the conversation without doubt.

Reactions: Fac and psu_1294
Forget chalking it up to "strange" things. If Iowa's offense is so awful, how did they accumulate even 300 yards on PSU's D? BAD OFFENSES DO NOT MOVE THE BALL ON GREAT DEFENSES.

I acknowledge that PSU has a great defense. I also acknowledge that Iowa's offense is presently lacking but will only get better, much like last year.

The reality is that defense will win games when your team is holding onto a lead. And after all, it was 17-10 when your backup came in. Or, if you're a PSU fan, it was 17-3 when Clifford went out.

A freshman WR Keagan Johnson outran and outjuked 4 of your primtime athletes for 44 yards. Ragaini was wide open on his TD. Goodson busted through your line many, many times.

You're all in luck. I'm way too caffeinated now and need to burn this off at the gym.

Ciao.

Why are you still here?

insecurity issues?
Mommy problems from childhood?

Just a FYI - Iowa hasn't given up 25 points in a game for 28 straight games. One of their strengths is adjusting during a game to whatever the offense is doing. A big first quarter against Iowa doesn't necessarily equate to a big game.

Iowa hasn't lost a game at home by more than 11 points since 2016. And they haven't lost any game - regardless of location - by more than 11 points since 2017. Not saying your prediction wouldn't have come true - but recent history definitely doesn't support your assertion...
And State’s OC has a history of positive halftime adjustments as well wherever he’s been too. What’s your point?

according to the Iowa homers, Iowa would still win.

Perhaps. They are basically the kid who got in the treehouse first, pulled the rope ladder up, and then yells at the kid on the ground "haha, you suck!"

The reality is, we are who we are at this point in time. The way the game went post-Clifford is unfortunate. There is no point in being upset over this loss, particularly if you were one of the folks who predicted a 2-2 start to this season. Winning band aids deficiency and tints the viewing of the viewer. Real progress can be made now.

1) prepare Roberson more. Settle him down. This is going to prove to be the worst non-OSU environment on the schedule. Were this a lesser team, we probably score more than 3 and hold up better defensively. Iowa is pretty good folks. So are we. We just weren't good enough to win with our backup QB.

2) continue to fix the running game. I don't expect Emmett Smith behind the early 90s Cowboy OL, but we need yardage on the ground. We seem to have gotten better WRT the negative plays, but we gotta turn 2 yard gains into 4, 3 yard gains into 7.

3) reassess defensive breakdowns. Who was supposed to be covering Ragaini on his big play? It appears the closest people to the play were Jacobs (was trailing under the route towards the hash) and Brown (I think he was in Cover 2, the run fake didn't seem to bother him, but he left his zone assuming the play was going right and was in no man's land when the pass went over his head to a WR uncovered).

Where was TCF or whoever was in on that play? Did that corner blitz and I missed it? Great design for a run on first down offense vs an aggressive defense that usually sits still on first down (aka we play a base defense and react, waiting until second or third down to get aggressive).

Chin up folks. We hung in there with a really good team in their house with multiple injuries. You can either look at the upcoming schedule as dire or opportunity to beat multiple ranked teams and get back in the conversation without doubt.
I know our running game hasn’t been good, but people seem to forget Lovett didn’t play and that was huge in my opinion. I think he gives us more than our other RB’s. Hopefully he plays against Illinois and we can put together at least some sort of running game. Then throw in some QB runs and we might do okay.

Reactions: Madsol
TR was high on basically every throw. Thats nerves. I think in 2 weeks he'll settle down. TEs dropping 2 passes that would've been 1st downs were crushing. D got tired as you'd expect and still held Iowa to only 23. I think Iowa is at best the 8-10th team. I'd guess on a neutral field the would be underdogs against bama, uga, osu, mich, ore, ok and cincy. Msu a toss up and I'm probably missing another team or 2.

I know our running game hasn’t been good, but people seem to forget Lovett didn’t play and that was huge in my opinion. I think he gives us more than our other RB’s. Hopefully he plays against Illinois and we can put together at least some sort of running game. Then throw in some QB runs and we might do okay.

Sounds good. I only remember Lovett on a kickoff perhaps or did he even take a snap?

Second half vs Wisconsin says hello.

Imagine if Petras went out with 10 minutes to go in the second quarter down 17-3.
Petras is a typical Iowa QB…not much about his game to get excited about. I’m guessing they have another version of him as the back-up, so it probably wouldn’t matter.

Petras is a typical Iowa QB…not much about his game to get excited about. I’m guessing they have another version of him as the back-up, so it probably wouldn’t matter.
And that’s why Iowa fans don’t understand how a QB getting hurt could hurt a team’s game plan. Their QB basically hands off all game. A team could lose a Trent Dilfer type, but not a Dan Marino type.

After a terrible start and facing a defense that was on the field perhaps too much and always in terrible field position, Petras put together some good throws. After starting 1-9, he went 16-22 or something like that. I'm not positive that his backup could spur of the moment vs our defense.

And that’s why Iowa fans don’t understand how a QB getting hurt could hurt a team’s game plan. Their QB basically hands off all game. A team could lose a Trent Dilfer type, but not a Dan Marino type.
Iowa’s had a ton of gun slingers at QB including two Heisman runner ups in two of the closest Heisman races in history (losing barely to Bo Jackson and Carson Palmer)

Iowa football also ended the 3 yards and cloud of dust eta in the Big Ten by bringing in a pass happy offense in the 80s.

hell, Drew Tate, Rick Stanzi, and CJ Beathard were not Trent Dilfer types at all.

It looks like excuses, hypotheticals, what-ifs, and imaginary scenarios play a prominent role in the PSU fan psyche.

Wouldn't Penn State have won if they had simply stopped Iowa's two unathletic receivers from catching those TD passes?

Does that kind of thing ever factor into the analysis, or is it just Clifford?

If Iowa's O is hot garbage, what does that say about your D that allowed 23?

In 2004, Iowa was down to its sixth string RB and still won a Big Ten title.

Injuries are a part of football. Good teams overcome them and don't make excuses.
Your team was not great that night and clearly would not have won without a couple key injuries. If the roles were reversed I’d be thrilled about stealing a win, but apologetic and complimentary to the other side. Why does your fanbase have such a hard time just enjoying your good fortune?

It looks like excuses, hypotheticals, what-ifs, and imaginary scenarios play a prominent role in the PSU fan psyche.

Wouldn't Penn State have won if they had simply stopped Iowa's two unathletic receivers from catching those TD passes?

Injuries are a part of football. Good teams overcome them and don't make excuses.
Where to start? Iowa’s O is not hot garbage, but even you would admit it’s a bit…ummm lethargic? That said, it took your team most of 4 quarters to score those 23 on a gassed D that was on the field too long.

Congrats about 2004. Just so I’m understanding you correctly, you’re equating a RB to a QB with no experience who entered mid-game on the road in a hostile environment? Got it

Injuries are most certainly part of the game, but not all injuries are equal. So please stop trying to use old “good teams overcome” cliches to substantiate your big win that sure didn’t look like it was going to happen until this particular injury took place.

Iowa’s had a ton of gun slingers at QB including two Heisman runner ups in two of the closest Heisman races in history (losing barely to Bo Jackson and Carson Palmer)

Iowa football also ended the 3 yards and cloud of dust eta in the Big Ten by bringing in a pass happy offense in the 80s.

hell, Drew Tate, Rick Stanzi, and CJ Beathard were not Trent Dilfer types at all.
But their QB this year is, that’s the point.

I understand your point and agree 100% but… Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl whilst Dan Marino did not. :)
And they could have won a SB if Dilfer got hurt, that’s my point. Miami could only go as far as Marino could take them. My grandmother would have had a shot winning a SB if she was Dilfer’s backup and he got hurt. Handing off and relying on your defense is easier than carrying a team with your passing. Which is why it hurts PSU so much to lose Clifford.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r

Dilfer had better stats in just about every statistical category (completions, yards, y/a, completion %, tds, ints, ratings) his senior year than all 3. So you are correct, no dilfers.

Just a FYI - Iowa hasn't given up 25 points in a game for 28 straight games. One of their strengths is adjusting during a game to whatever the offense is doing. A big first quarter against Iowa doesn't necessarily equate to a big game.

Iowa hasn't lost a game at home by more than 11 points since 2016. And they haven't lost any game - regardless of location - by more than 11 points since 2017. Not saying your prediction wouldn't have come true - but recent history definitely doesn't support your assertion...
so you assert that with our starting QB, we wouldn't have scored 4 more points after scoring 17 in the first 15 minutes?

-Interception at 8. Kick FG from about the 16
-One decent TD drive
-7 possessions with ridiculous starting Field position in the 2nd half converted into a measly 13 points.
Either the PSU D is a top 10 all-time defense, or the Iowa O is...well, your words.."Hot Garbage." A good team would have put up 40. No joke

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT