ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching Challenger series on Netflix

I am at the same spot as you. Watched the first two. I was a Freshman at PSU when it happened. I never realized how much they actually knew about the problems before the accident. Of course, it's always easier to see in hindsight.

Last edited:
'I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of 2 million parts — all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.’

— Attributed to John Glenn

Reactions: Grass and john4psu
“Friend of a friend” thing. Guy I knew hunted a lot out west. Knew one of the top engineers where they tested the rockets......Utah or Idaho....don’t remember which. The guy felt so terrible about it he killed himself.

That is one day most of us will never forget. I was in a 4th grade classroom at the time and I can remember it like it was yesterday.

Let me know how you like it after you finish it.
Just saw the 3rd episode out of 4 which ends with the explosion. Brutal. Peter Billingsley of a Christmas Story was head of the Young Astronaut program and was there at 15 years old watching - episode ends with him having the classic 1000 yard stare thinking about it.

I remember being in a dorm room with about 8 people on my hall in shock

Reactions: AtlantaLion
I’ve watched only the first two as well. Very interesting. Of course, I have a little extra vested interest. One of my teachers was one of the final ten: Niki Wenger. I was in junior high at the time and she had left to train at NASA.

I remember that day well. We were supposed to have a big assembly to watch the launch, but instead/luckily we had a snow day. My siblings and I were watching it when it happened. Afterwards, Mrs. Wenger came back and they did news pieces with her, and they filmed us as we watched the launch. Not exactly how you want to spend a day in class.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Well done series, but while all the blame rightfully went to NASA, I wish they had mentioned additional pressure from the White House to launch on time. If the launch went off as originally scheduled, the astronauts would have been back in time to appear in person at Reagan's State of the Union address. Because of delays, the plan was for Reagan to place a call to the astronauts in space. It was way too cold to launch that day, though the o-rings might have failed anyway because of previous problems.

I watched the whole thing and thought it was really well done. I did some further reading on it afterwards. One thing I was surprised to learn was that there's evidence the astronauts were not killed in the explosion and died when they hit the water almost 3 minutes later. The crew capsule and bodies were recovered from the ocean floor. I had always assumed everything was just obliterated in the sky.

That is one day most of us will never forget. I was in a 4th grade classroom at the time and I can remember it like it was yesterday.

Let me know how you like it after you finish it.

My experience as well; remember the teacher wheeling in the TV so we could all sit there and watch. Very surreal.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I watched the whole thing and thought it was really well done. I did some further reading on it afterwards. One thing I was surprised to learn was that there's evidence the astronauts were not killed in the explosion and died when they hit the water almost 3 minutes later. The crew capsule and bodies were recovered from the ocean floor. I had always assumed everything was just obliterated in the sky.
There was some debate if they survived the conclusion of the blast and were they conscious. It exploded at 48,000’ and then continued to climb to 68,000’....did they have oxygen? Did they suffer from rapid decompression? Some indicators they were alive and alert are that three personal air packs were activated. And several breaker switches were flipped despite them having a locking system.

Reactions: step.eng69
Two guys came off real bad . Treated the whole thing like the 7 were just collateral damage - Lucas and the NASA lead who had that craggy face. The Morton Thiokol engineers - at least the grunts - really impressed me.

I loved how the General, Feynman and Sally Ride all outflanked Rogers who was trying to game the verdict - he was left no choice when NASA got eviscerated by the evidence

Two guys came off real bad . Treated the whole thing like the 7 were just collateral damage - Lucas and the NASA lead who had that craggy face. The Morton Thiokol engineers - at least the grunts - really impressed me.

I loved how the General, Feynman and Sally Ride all outflanked Rogers who was trying to game the verdict - he was left no choice when NASA got eviscerated by the evidence
923148_orig.jpg

Well done series, but while all the blame rightfully went to NASA, I wish they had mentioned additional pressure from the White House to launch on time. If the launch went off as originally scheduled, the astronauts would have been back in time to appear in person at Reagan's State of the Union address. Because of delays, the plan was for Reagan to place a call to the astronauts in space. It was way too cold to launch that day, though the o-rings might have failed anyway because of previous problems.

They didn't mention pressure from the WH because there wasn't any. The pressure to launch came from within NASA. NASA had asked the WH to participate because they wanted to generate some post-launch PR.

ADVERTISEMENT