ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone using a hyaluronic acid serum?

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
They seem to be all the rage. Are any of you using one to plump your skin?

They seem to be all the rage. Are any of you using one to plump your skin?

Topically applied HA is hype. Its molecular weight is too big to be absorbed the skin. Any effect is temporary and frequent use can actually serve to make the skin drier. It's only effective when the cross-linked version is injected into the dermal layer: i.e, dermal fillers.

The only creme that has any science behind it in terms of increasing skin plumpness is long term daily use of prescription strength retinoids.

Reactions: Aardvark86
The only creme that has any science behind it in terms of increasing skin plumpness is long term daily use of prescription strength retinoids.
[/QUOTE]

So the retinoids....can they be used to make all skin areas plump? Asking for a friend.

WTF Bob, nothing personal, however, I certainly hope you are asking this question because your babe or wife asked you to. I mean, what effing guy cares a rat's butt whether their skin is pump or not?:rolleyes:

Topically applied HA is hype. Its molecular weight is too big to be absorbed the skin. Any effect is temporary and frequent use can actually serve to make the skin drier. It's only effective when the cross-linked version is injected into the dermal layer: i.e, dermal fillers.

As I‘m a chemist, you’re speaking my language. All good. I figured these serums would only be temporary. Science aside, they keep you coming back for more. And then they can sell you moisturizer for dry skin.

So the retinoids....can they be used to make all skin areas plump? Asking for a friend.
[/QUOTE]

Increase plumpness(measured by increased collagen and HA in the dermal layers) related to aging. But that's not the same thing as saying it makes your skin look plump. You can use it all over your body, and, actually, the one area where you really get dramatic, near miracle results is with the appearance of your hands. What's the old saying: "you can really tell a person's age by looking at their hands"? Well, not if you are applying .1% tretinoin on your hands daily.

The downside is that no insurance company will approve the amount of tretinoin necessary for a regular full body application. So you have to go the off-shore pharmacy route. And retin-a absolutely will cause major league skin irritation and peeling when you first start using it. The discomfort is enough to discourage many from continuing to use it. Lastly, for the anti-aging benefit, you have to keep using it. If you stop, the improvements go away.

As I‘m a chemist, you’re speaking my language. All good. I figured these serums would only be temporary. Science aside, they keep you coming back for more. And then they can sell you moisturizer for dry skin.
I knew there was something wrong with you. You need to use a range hood. The chemicals are affecting your brain cells. 🙂

Yes, topical HA can end up absorbing moisture from your epidermis, particularly during the winter seasons. The best skin moisturizer is a shower then a quick application of vaseline(which serves as an occulent agent). Something like aquaphor is a step up for petroleum jelly, tho.

Yes, topical HA can end up absorbing moisture from your epidermis, particularly during the winter seasons. The best skin moisturizer is a shower then a quick application of vaseline(which serves as an occulent agent). Something like aquaphor is a step up for petroleum jelly, tho.

Thanks. I have plenty of Vaseline here. 😞

• Haha
Reactions: bkmtnittany1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT