ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone losing interest in CFB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well explain the ‘why’ to me. This happens in major cities that are run by democrats. Mayor, city council, chief of police, prosecutors,head of elections. Everything. Why do they have more voting places and/or more machines?

Absolutely ridiculous.
Good point. The Democrats, and largely mental case progressives, are calling the shots and yet the people they pretend to care about are allegedly having all of these issues. I guess they're the ones suppressing the vote.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
The only thing that is saving us is the great game day atmosphere at Beaver Stadium with 107K.
Funny, it's the game day atmosphere that is the final nail in the coffin for me. After several years sitting in the same seats with the dame neighbors, I don't know any of them. It is impossible to carry on a conversation now. I feel isolated in a crowd of 107,000. And this is from a guy who has been to over 400 games, home and away.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Can anyone tell me when it actually transitioned from college to semipro? It surely was not 2021 or 2022. I would estimate the 1990s or perhaps even the ‘80s. Other than the money now being more visible today, nothing else has changed over the past 30 years. Do you all think Joe was selling a college education to recruits in 2005 or an opportunity to develop into an nfl prospect?
Y
Right about Joe then but he was not doing that in the 70's and 80's when he had the program elite. Had no choice by 2005 because you had pampered spoiled recruits expecting it because they had everyone and their freaking neighbor's grandmother telling them how effing great they are. Also did we have heartless players like Brandon Smith opting out of bowl games in 2005?

Good point. The Democrats, and largely mental case progressives, are calling the shots and yet the people they pretend to care about are allegedly having all of these issues. I guess they're the ones suppressing the vote.
I actually believe the individual states have a large control over how many polling places, early voting and all of that more so than cities etc. Which is one of the issues down south. Our goal should be to as a society to break records getting people out to vote. That should be exciting for everybody. Not trying to limit the number. If your policies are not getting enough of the votes then you tweak them to get more not try to eliminate polling places or limit early voting etc.

Last edited:
Funny, it's the game day atmosphere that is the final nail in the coffin for me. After several years sitting in the same seats with the dame neighbors, I don't know any of them. It is impossible to carry on a conversation now. I feel isolated in a crowd of 107,000. And this is from a guy who has been to over 400 games, home and away.
Interesting. I went to every home game from '76 to '84 as a kid and loved the games but have not been to many home games in the last 30 years. Disappointing to hear that. The White Outs are fun and exciting though. That is PSU football's biggest differentiating strength at this point.

In the past could root for a team, follow recruiting and watch the kids develop. Now this is like the Pro's, started with opt outs, now full-blown free agency. NIL $$$, big money teams with big $$$ backers BUYING kids. Kids do commit to coaches; I see allowing a player to leave in "free agency" if the coach leaves. By the way, where is the education factor, perhaps, if a player leaves (portals), he should reimburse the university for tuition and expenses.
My college football habit will be difficult to break but the game will never be the same. How many of you are old enough to remember when college sports were played by college STUDENTS?

Reactions: kw220
My college football habit will be difficult to break but the game will never be the same. How many of you are old enough to remember when college sports were played by college STUDENTS?
There is a big article in SI talking about the big meetings coming up. They might split D1 into a subdivision with the Power 5 conferences in one group possibly everybody else below which means in that power 5 there may not be scholarship limits in any sport. Change is coming is the only thing for sure soon.

I actually believe the individual states have a large control over how many polling places, early voting and all of that more so than cities etc. Which is one of the issues down south. Our goal should be to as a society to break records getting people out to vote. That should be exciting for everybody. Not trying to limit the number. If your policies are not getting enough of the votes then you tweak them to get more not try to eliminate polling places or limit early voting etc.
I doubt that and in states like NY, the Democrats control everything so I'm not sure why all these roadblocks haven't been addressed. Now suddenly we have to stop the terrible suppression. In this country anymore there's always a reason to play the victim card even when there are no victims. And I'm not saying you didn't make valid points about waiting eight hours in a line. That is ridiculous but in cities like NYC that declare themselves sanctuary cities and flagrant defy are immigration policies I'm not sure when they wouldn't correct these delay problems in those same cities.
And if people want to vote from home apply for absentee ballots like we've done forever. We don't need folks going around handing out absentee ballots in apartment building under the guise of making voting easier when they are actually lobbying for one side. That's voter manimpulation - not voter rights.

D
Elections are run by the counties, at least in Pa. And the large cities run the counties because of their dominate size.

Reactions: PSUPride1
In this day and age it absolutely ridiculous to have to wait in line for more than an hour to vote. And anyone who allows that and doesn't fix it is intentionally trying to dissuade people from voting. I live in an upscale neighborhood. No problem in and out less than an hour but for urban voters who have to wait numerous hours to vote in this day and age is not right. We should want more people to participate in our democracy not less. If had to wait 8 hours I would find another way or pass altogether. It is not a healthy democracy when we start trying to decide who should vote or make it difficult for others. IMHO
It should be noted that the people who setup polling locations and policies are the local people who live there. If there is a dearth of polling locations in Chicago, Philadelphia, NYC, etc, it is the people current complaining about voter suppression who are responsible.

Also worth pointing out that amid the cries of voter suppression, voting turnout among black and Latinos is at an all-time high. If people are trying to suppress minority voting, they are really incompetent.

We broke all records last election. Highest number of total votes and had the highest turnout percentage in 120 years. Who ever is suppressing the vote isn’t doing a very good job......

We broke all records last election. Highest number of total votes and had the highest turnout percentage in 120 years. Who ever is suppressing the vote isn’t doing a very good job......
Yes the last election break records which is awesome but there were still people DOWN SOUTH that had to wait in many hour long lines. That is unacceptable in this day. and it is a tribute to those people that they still voted cause as I said I would not have. They should not have to endure multiple hours of lines to cast a vote.

Yes the last election break records which is awesome but there were still people DOWN SOUTH that had to wait in many hour long lines. That is unacceptable in this day. and it is a tribute to those people that they still voted cause as I said I would not have. They should not have to endure multiple hours of lines to cast a vote.
Like where? Atlanta? Houston?

There absolutely should be more machines and more voting sites where needed. No one should stand in line that long. But where are the most problems?

Like where? Atlanta? Houston?

There absolutely should be more machines and more voting sites where needed. No one should stand in line that long. But where are the most problems?
Atlanta was one of the main problem areas from what I understand.

In the past could root for a team, follow recruiting and watch the kids develop. Now this is like the Pro's, started with opt outs, now full-blown free agency. NIL $$$, big money teams with big $$$ backers BUYING kids. Kids do commit to coaches; I see allowing a player to leave in "free agency" if the coach leaves. By the way, where is the education factor, perhaps, if a player leaves (portals), he should reimburse the university for tuition and expenses.
IMHO, sports has gone the way of society. Might sound morbid, but life isn't as much fun. It's sad, but I used to have friends from all over. Now, if you pull for another team, it's no longer good natured ribbing, but a disagreement and hatred that has taken its place. Some of my best friends turned on me because of the Sandusky mess, but even before that fans were making it a miserable experience to go to an away game. I was seeing stuff that I never believed would happen. I always felt confident that I could recommend going to PS for a game, but many of our own fans have become unbearable to be around. I fear there is no going backward, and I hate to see it die!!!!!

Atlanta was one of the main problem areas from what I understand.
Yes. And Fulton Co was in charge of those elections.
This was written after the 2020 primary elections.....

The longer of it is that Georgia law lays a number of significant election responsibilities at the feet of county authorities. Some of those include:
  • "To select and equip polling places for use in primaries and elections."
  • "To purchase, except voting machines, preserve, store, and maintain election equipment of all kinds, including voting booths and ballot boxes and to procure ballots and all other supplies for primaries and elections."
  • "To appoint poll officers and other officers to serve in primaries and elections."
  • "To make and issue such rules, regulations, and instructions... for the guidance of poll officers, custodians, and electors in primaries and elections."
  • "To instruct poll officers and others in their duties, calling them together in meetings whenever deemed advisable, and to inspect systematically and thoroughly the conduct of primaries and elections in the several precincts of his or her county to the end that primaries and elections may be honestly, efficiently, and uniformly conducted."

• https://www.11alive.com/article/new...-what/85-de1989cc-62e7-4435-a9c9-f3892c7932bd

Yup. As I've written before, amateurism has an appeal. NIL, opt outs, portal, etc make CFB look like professionals. When CFB players act like professionals and CFB conducts itself like a minor league, the appeal of amateurism fades. No one cares about the minor leagues in any sport. This is also why interest in the olympics has waned. After great interest in the novelty of the 1992 Dream team, no one cares about olympic basketball. People can watch pro basketball, tennis, hockey, golf, etc every day. There is little appeal in watching the same people in the olympics.
Personally, I didn't watch a single bowl game, including the outback bowl. With all the opt outs, I realized that the team playing would not be the team I invested in all season. There was little appeal to me to watch a "blue-white" game against Arkansas. People defend the opt outs by saying that the kids "owe fans nothing." Maybe.
I'd suggest that it's the fan investment (emotional, monetary, time) that provides every resource and opportunity that CFB players enjoy. When CFB players walk away and don't honor that investment, it logically creates negative feelings to those who have invested. We can debate whether the players "owe" fans anything, but there is no doubt that the current state of CFB (opt outs, NIL, portal) will drive less fan investment and therefore fewer dollars/resources and a shrinking of CFB. We can debate whether it's good, bad, or indifferent, but it's a reality.

IMHO, we will see a major shakeup of CFB as TV contracts adjust to this diminished interest reality.
Bowls are dead, or will return to what they were 4 decades ago.
Power teams who face less geographical pro competition and that have long operated as "semi-pro" will form a ~12-20 team P1. The rest (including PSU) will reorganize into a 2nd tier CFB system. The existing conferences may remain, they may not. Less TV money means more red ink. A percentage of the 130 FBS teams will drop to FCS or fold.
The US is about the only country with Major college sports. In the long run, we could see current college "revenue sports" follow the rest of the world with development pro ranks and college sports being played by students, without pro aspirations, who play as an extra-curricular.

As Nietzsche might have said, "College Football is dead, and we killed it."
Well said. I remember sitting in a Big 10 meeting several years ago......all the Big 10 school reps were there....and we all know each other pretty well.......and Jim Delaney was giving his routine meeting talk........and he said to all the school reps, "Look around you.......in 5 or 6 years you are not going to be seeing each other.....each school is going to have to make choices....a couple/few of you will join a super national conference......the rest of you will be part of a second level conference" (more-or-less what he said).......Basically, he saw it coming.....and he knew it would be the result of pay-for-play, NIL, etc.......and at the time knew that the only thing they could do was delay it......but not stop it.....it was inevitable. It is amazing in how in the last couple of years, my decades of intensity (almost obsession) with Penn State football has washed out of me......not that I don't like Penn State....I just have no interest in the new college football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT