ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone losing interest in CFB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you left the sport in the rear view mirror a few decades ago, right?

"Paterno was a political conservative and a personal friend of President George H. W. Bush. He campaigned for Bush door-to-door in the 1988 New Hampshire primary, and seconded his nomination at the Republican National Convention. Paterno was also a close friend of President Gerald R. Ford, and introduced President George W. Bush at a campaign rally before the 2004 presidential election. Before the 1974 Pennsylvania gubernatorial election, a group of Pennsylvania Republican Party leaders briefly considered Paterno for Andrew Lewis' ticket as the candidate for lieutenant governor."
Thanks for the Wikipedia spew…did you make a donation?

It is an ENTIRELY different game than it was just a few years back. The college football guys over 50 grew up with is long gone, and what we are left with is much less attractive. But what a great ride it was!!! Thank you JoePa!!!
Well said. I can't believe what these clowns are doing to college football. The "Student" part of Student-Athlete is not even mentioned anymore. The only goal now is to be a jockstrap, get some form of NIL money, which I guess has to last you your entire life, because the education thing is nothing. That said nothing surprises me in this country anymore. I used to enjoy politics too but that's a dumpster fire as well with mental cases on both sides. Anyway, just hope and pray for the best but yes the state of college football has definitely impacted me in a negative way. The opt-outs were off the charts nuts this year, and you know Franklin wanted to go off on this, but you can't question anything the kids to today or you're bad.

I mean in every industry there are top guys. And they are paid higher rates.

However there are two factors that go into their pay.

1. Performance
2. Revenue generation

Franklin fails at the first relative to many peers. Of the 100 or so cfb programs he was somewhat average in results last season.

In revenue generation an appropriate percentage would be 10% of incremental revenue. So if Franklin is raising $50M more than peers... taking away the big ten revenues... then maybe $5M

I don't think he passes either of these tests.

And recruiting has become about as valuable as the final rounds of the mlb draft.

LdN
Yep

Thanks for the Wikipedia spew…did you make a donation?
You were the one that made the statement saying you didn't care for coaches getting political. Saban wrote a letter. Joe campaigned door-to-door for Bush in 1988. That sounds a bit more involved than writing a letter. So if an opponent coach does something political it is going to push you away from football, but of course anything Joe did was perfect and beyond criticism, right?

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
I follow it less and less. There are plenty at fault but in the end it seems like kicking the can down the road in addressing the issues rises to the top. Big money came in and the universities got hooked on it. They couldn’t see what was coming down the road. History is full of lessons in not doing the right thing or missing chances which end up causing big issues. Slavery and the Civil War, a short sighted Versailles Treaty leading to Hitler and WW II and the violence as Colonialism collapsed in Asia and Africa, margin lending and Black Friday followed by the Great Depression, subprime mortgages and the Great Recession, crimes against children and the resultant collapse in stature of many great institutions. The supposed enlightened folks at our institutions of higher learning were clearly selective in their enlightenment. They hoarded the windfall when some arrangement with the student athletes would have been smart. Like all the other events greed was in the middle of their decisions. Maybe it was inevitable anyway but it the end has been an unfortunate and haphazard train wreck.

Last edited:
I mean in every industry there are top guys. And they are paid higher rates.

However there are two factors that go into their pay.

1. Performance
2. Revenue generation

Franklin fails at the first relative to many peers. Of the 100 or so cfb programs he was somewhat average in results last season.

In revenue generation an appropriate percentage would be 10% of incremental revenue. So if Franklin is raising $50M more than peers... taking away the big ten revenues... then maybe $5M

I don't think he passes either of these tests.

And recruiting has become about as valuable as the final rounds of the mlb draft.

LdN
I totally agree. This was a huge year for CJF. His good years were with a generational RB who simply dominated defenses if he carried the ball or was used as a decoy. Before that were the sanction years. then we had the crappy 2020 COVID year. 2021 was a level set: no sanctions, no real COVID effect, all his kids, and a seasoned team at just about every area except DT. And we pooped the bed.

Next year is a rebuilding year in many areas. So I don't expect anything better than a 4 loss season which is crappy for a team trying to knock on the door of "elite".

the saving grace was the incredible recruiting year with snagging one of the best QBs and RBs of the year.

I simply mean we are barely relevant at this point. 4 to 5 losses a year (6 this year, ugh) is not relevance. If Franklin cannot turn it around with Allar (and a decent O line) with at least a B10 title in the next 3 years then you have to seriously question if we ever will.
I think this is a fair assessment. It sure seems like PSU has under performed the recruiting classes of the last 4-5 years, most glaringly, the QB play outside of an undersized, gritty kid that just knew how to win. If they can't protect the QB and Allar or Pribula doesn't become a Top 10 CFB QB, things will get tough.

My biggest question on Allar, if I understand things correctly, is that he is a pro-style QB, and while he can scamble when pressured is not a runner. PSU's offense has been an RPO since midway through Trace's first season as starter. Will the offense adjust to fit the personnel or are we gonna try to turn a 6'4" 230 Pro-style QB into a runner?

Been done for a while. NIL has sanctioned a system for paying players that has been in place in the south/southwest forever. Most schools let athletes slide academically. Pretty much a joke. NCAA has been looking the other way throughout and then went after Paterno to make him the Boogie Man to justify their existence. Now we have Lebron like super-teams and very few good games to watch.
The NCAA and just about everyone else was jealous of Paterno for creating and sucessfully implementing the Grand Experiment. He had the vision NOT the NCAA to focus on the student in student athlete. The NCAA realized their gaffe late in the game after Joe's vision was bought in by everyone(see my comment below).

The sport was dominated by a lot of football jocks like Woody Hayes, Bo Scmuckbechler, Jackie Sherrill, Johnny Majors, Darrell Royal, Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Barry Switzer, John McKay, John Robinson, on and on. These guys were okay but had no vision and couldn't care less if their players took honors English Lit or basket weaving. As long they could star on Saturday. Joe was so different and a renaissance guy in so many ways. When the NCAA (led by chief weasel hypocrite Mark Emmert) and others got the chance to unfairly and viciously dump on him they piled on. Meanwhile their student athlete ad campaign they have been running was all Joe's vision. Joe would not like what has happened to CFB. He probably would be okay with players getting NIL, maybe. But these opt outs, no loyalty, use schools to get to the NFL and I am a football player not a student has him turning in his grave.

It is very similar to the Olympics to me. Once the Olympics started to allow professional players into the competitions, it destroyed what made the Olympics special and unique. What is the point to having PGA players compete in an Olympics? Conversely, what made the 1980 US hockey team legendary?

I think CFB could survive the NIL era if they make transferring players sit out a year. But this “annual free agency transfer portal” has removed hope from the vast majority of fanbases. This will effectively kill the sport in many programs around the country.

Reactions: CltDon1
Lets make academics part college football again. That will curb some of this craziness.

Reactions: Fac
In the past could root for a team, follow recruiting and watch the kids develop. Now this is like the Pro's, started with opt outs, now full-blown free agency. NIL $$$, big money teams with big $$$ backers BUYING kids. Kids do commit to coaches; I see allowing a player to leave in "free agency" if the coach leaves. By the way, where is the education factor, perhaps, if a player leaves (portals), he should reimburse the university for tuition and expenses.
Yep. For years college football was far and away my favorite sport. Also followed recruiting closely. It’s getting to the point that I’m almost apathetic.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89
The minute PSU finds itself in the playoff everything being complained about in this thread will be forgotten.

Can anyone tell me when it actually transitioned from college to semipro? It surely was not 2021 or 2022. I would estimate the 1990s or perhaps even the ‘80s. Other than the money now being more visible today, nothing else has changed over the past 30 years. Do you all think Joe was selling a college education to recruits in 2005 or an opportunity to develop into an nfl prospect?

The minute PSU finds itself in the playoff everything being complained about in this thread will be forgotten.
That won't happen unless PSU starts to do the things we are all complaining about. Which would prove the point of CFB being gone. No one here is saying they still won't be a fan, just a different fan.

Sadly I think college football will slowly lose popularity with a large majority. Players are now free agents that change schools years if they wanted. Larger high dollar schools will poach smaller school players. What makes college football so exciting is the upsets. Smaller schools start losing players upsets will dwindle. Takes a lot of excitement out of the game…

That won't happen unless PSU starts to do the things we are all complaining about. Which would prove the point of CFB being gone. No one here is saying they still won't be a fan, just a different fan.
Yes, we must cheat to win.

(Insert fart sound)

In the past could root for a team, follow recruiting and watch the kids develop. Now this is like the Pro's, started with opt outs, now full-blown free agency. NIL $$$, big money teams with big $$$ backers BUYING kids. Kids do commit to coaches; I see allowing a player to leave in "free agency" if the coach leaves. By the way, where is the education factor, perhaps, if a player leaves (portals), he should reimburse the university for tuition and expenses.
Nope

I think this is a fair assessment. It sure seems like PSU has under performed the recruiting classes of the last 4-5 years, most glaringly, the QB play outside of an undersized, gritty kid that just knew how to win. If they can't protect the QB and Allar or Pribula doesn't become a Top 10 CFB QB, things will get tough.

My biggest question on Allar, if I understand things correctly, is that he is a pro-style QB, and while he can scamble when pressured is not a runner. PSU's offense has been an RPO since midway through Trace's first season as starter. Will the offense adjust to fit the personnel or are we gonna try to turn a 6'4" 230 Pro-style QB into a runner?
It must adjust. CJF needs to takes his hands off the offensive scheme. I believe he is insistent on this QB centric and delayed handoff run game and "explosive plays". Those explosive plays naturally occur when you can consistently impose your will in the run game. To win the B1G and excel in the post season, the team must be able to effectively run the ball with RBs inside and out. It is frustrating as a fan to watch a failed offensive philosophy stumble week after week. It also has a negative impact on the defense.

I have heard all the arguments about protecting themselves so they can play in the NFL where the big $$ is, that it is all about the NFL, etc., etc.,etc. However, to me, college football is its own entity. It is not preparation for the NFL - it is about college football, bowl games included. And, college football is slowly being dismantled and destroyed. We may not fully feel it YET, but it is coming. The portal is part of it as well as leaving the team after 2 seasons. I know I am a dinosaur. You need not remind me. I know, I know. But I still have the right to lament the passing of football as I knew it.

CFB is the new minor leave for the NFL. Have just about lost all interest in CFB.

My interest has nosedived because of pretty much everything already mentioned. Clifford coming back makes it even less exciting for next season .

Absolutely. Winning on a regular basis makes everything interesting.

There isn't much to be interested or excited about when you are mediocre at best. For those that wax nostalgic about the "good old days" need to realize that is in the past. You either move forward or remain fixated on things dead and gone.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
You are an idiot if you think it does. It’s hard for lower income, elderly, and monitories to vote. Don’t be a racist cockroach.

It's funny to call someone else a racist in the same sentence where you say that people have difficulty voting based on the color of their skin.

As a starter to perhaps reevaluating your stance on this topic, I suggest you take a look at this video. Pay particular attention to the 2nd half.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Huh? Is that like when my teen says in disgust that she will go with us but she won’t be happy about it?

I follow it less and less. There are plenty at fault but in the end it seems like kicking the can down the road in addressing the issues rises to the top. Big money came in and the universities got hooked on it. They couldn’t see what was coming down the road. History is full of lessons in not doing the right thing or missing chances which end up causing big issues. Slavery and the Civil War, a short sighted Versailles Treaty leading to Hitler and WW II and the violence as Colonialism collapsed in Asia and Africa, margin lending and Black Friday followed by the Great Depression, subprime mortgages and the Great Recession, crimes against children and the resultant collapse in stature of many great institutions. The supposed enlightened folks at our institutions of higher learning were clearly selective in their enlightenment. They hoarded the windfall when some arrangement with the student athletes would have been smart. Like all the other events greed was in the middle of their decisions. Maybe it was inevitable anyway but it the end has been an unfortunate and haphazard train wreck.
The changes happened once we got 24/7 news and enhanced sports coverage. It lead to the big money coming in and with that the arms race took off.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Absolutely. Winning on a regular basis makes everything interesting.

There isn't much to be interested or excited about when you are mediocre at best. For those that wax nostalgic about the "good old days" need to realize that is in the past. You either move forward or remain fixated on things dead and gone.
True, however I do not believe we will see that again in the near future, let's say ten years. check the last twenty years of college football national champions. OSU is the only northern team. No ND, Michigan ( 1997), Nebraska
( well mid west but the won in the mid to late 90s), PSU undefeated and untied in 1994, last in 1986.
I do not believe well will see one here in the nest 25 years if ever.

It's funny to call someone else a racist in the same sentence where you say that people have difficulty voting based on the color of their skin.

As a starter to perhaps reevaluating your stance on this topic, I suggest you take a look at this video. Pay particular attention to the 2nd half.
Classic example of the arrogance and ignorance of these white elitists at indoctrination centers like Berkeley who think they know what's best for black people.

Classic example of the arrogance and ignorance of these white elitists at indoctrination centers like Berkeley who think they know what's best for black
In this day and age it absolutely ridiculous to have to wait in line for more than an hour to vote. And anyone who allows that and doesn't fix it is intentionally trying to dissuade people from voting. I live in an upscale neighborhood. No problem in and out less than an hour but for urban voters who have to wait numerous hours to vote in this day and age is not right. We should want more people to participate in our democracy not less. If had to wait 8 hours I would find another way or pass altogether. It is not a healthy democracy when we start trying to decide who should vote or make it difficult for others. IMHO

In this day and age it absolutely ridiculous to have to wait in line for more than an hour to vote. And anyone who allows that and doesn't fix it is intentionally trying to dissuade people from voting. I live in an upscale neighborhood. No problem in and out less than an hour but for urban voters who have to wait numerous hours to vote in this day and age is not right. We should want more people to participate in our democracy not less. If had to wait 8 hours I would find another way or pass altogether. It is not a healthy democracy when we start trying to decide who should vote or make it difficult for others. IMHO
I have no problem fixing problems like the one you mentioned but labelling everything as suppressing the vote is disengenuous. Do you have a problem with some of the cities wanting to give illegals the vote? Talk about trying to find any means necessary to get power. I would think we can all agree that one should be an actual citiizen to vote in this country but if not we are lost.
Additionally, for all the bluster, liberal states often have more restrictions on voting than the alleged suppressors.
We should stop the rhetoric and fine tune the process but neither side should cast themselves as pure in this process.

Well explain the ‘why’ to me. This happens in major cities that are run by democrats. Mayor, city council, chief of police, prosecutors,head of elections. Everything. Why do they have more voting places and/or more machines?

Absolutely ridiculous.

I have no problem fixing problems like the one you mentioned but labelling everything as suppressing the vote is disengenuous. Do you have a problem with some of the cities wanting to give illegals the vote? Talk about trying to find any means necessary to get power. I would think we can all agree that one should be an actual citiizen to vote in this country but if not we are lost.
Additionally, for all the bluster, liberal states often have more restrictions on voting than the alleged suppressors.
We should stop the rhetoric and fine tune the process but neither side should cast themselves as pure in this process.
I am of the opinion that only US Citizens should be eligible for voting in a US election. If a city wants to do that in a city election that is their business but if I lived there I would not be in favor of it.

I am of the opinion that only US Citizens should be eligible for voting in a US election. If a city wants to do that in a city election that is their business but if I lived there I would not be in favor of it.
We agree but I don't think a city should be allowed to sabotage our voting system in a blatant attempt to get and maintain power. It's disgusting. Too many of these cities are functioning like they're not part of these United States.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT