ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know if they updated the suites to show "2016"?

Beaver Stadium is....

• Total voters

NittanyLion15

Aug 17, 2001
Laporte, PA
www.youtube.com
Would love a stadium panorama showing it with the updates.

PS - I've always thought the lettering & the years listed would look amazing if they installed LED or LCD lighting on them. (Sort of like the Nittany Lion logo on the back of the scoreboards) who's with me?

10255523.jpeg

beaver-stadium-at-night-7d046e4ae9c2e3b1.jpg

I think it needs more pop!

Anyone have any idea what aesthetic changes were made to the stadium this year?

I always go back and forth on my stance when it comes to renovating the Beav. Beaver Stadium has always had the look of an oversized high school stadium, aka "Erector Set"... which I guess makes sense when you really think about it. Pennsylvanian's do love their high school football, and maybe the tough nosed erector set style of play is exactly who we are. Why change it?

I'm fairly certain Paterno was very much against suites and club seats when they expanded the stadium in 2001 - (plans drafted in 97-98) As he felt that if you bring priority seating into college football, it changes the dynamic of your fan base. I think in a way he was spot on.

Anyone have the total number of tickets sold this year that were season tickets?
  • 21,000 students
  • 3kish, reserved for visiting team?
  • 60-80k season tickets?
mc-penn-state-s-beaver-stadium-to-retain-100-000-seating-capacity-after-planned-renovation-20170313

5612ba331b9f5.image.jpg

Would love a stadium panorama showing it with the updates.

PS - I've always thought the lettering & the years listed would look amazing if they installed LED or LCD lighting on them. (Sort of like the Nittany Lion logo on the back of the scoreboards) who's with me?

10255523.jpeg

beaver-stadium-at-night-7d046e4ae9c2e3b1.jpg

I think it needs more pop!

Anyone have any idea what aesthetic changes were made to the stadium this year?

I always go back and forth on my stance when it comes to renovating the Beav. Beaver Stadium has always had the look of an oversized high school stadium, aka "Erector Set"... which I guess makes sense when you really think about it. Pennsylvanian's do love their high school football, and maybe the tough nosed erector set style of play is exactly who we are. Why change it?

I'm fairly certain Paterno was very much against suites and club seats when they expanded the stadium in 2001 - (plans drafted in 97-98) As he felt that if you bring priority seating into college football, it changes the dynamic of your fan base. I think in a way he was spot on.

Anyone have the total number of tickets sold this year that were season tickets?
  • 21,000 students
  • 3kish, reserved for visiting team?
  • 60-80k season tickets?
mc-penn-state-s-beaver-stadium-to-retain-100-000-seating-capacity-after-planned-renovation-20170313

5612ba331b9f5.image.jpg

It has been announced (can't remember where I saw it though.... probably on the PSU site) that they will unveil the '2016' on the Suites facade in a pre-game ceremony on Sept. 9.

I don't get the list of years with no explanation. They need to explain why the years are listed. For instance, "Undefeated seasons," "National champions," "Big Ten champions," etc. and list the appropriate years under each category. This is how the sign on Beaver Stadium used to be before they started adding on upper decks and massive scoreboards.

Then we went to a list of years. The casual fan would need to go on the internet and look up each year to know why they are listed. Since they go back over 100 years, pretty much anybody would need the internet to understand all of them.

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
I don't get the list of years with no explanation. They need to explain why the years are listed. For instance, "Undefeated seasons," "National champions," "Big Ten champions," etc. and list the appropriate years under each category. This is how the sign on Beaver Stadium used to be before they started adding on upper decks and massive scoreboards.

Remember that 2012 is included. It should look like this on the suites:

Please take this opportunity to remember that Penn State has a culture problem.
1894 1909 1911 1912 1920 1921 1947 1968 1969 1973 1982 1986 1994 2005 2012 2016

Last edited:
Reactions: Option Bob
Remember that 2012 is included. It should like this on the suites:

I remember when they unveiled the big 2012 and it was the wrong size, color and font. They replaced them.

Remember that 2012 is included. It should like this on the suites:

It made sense to list 2012 in the moment. I'm not sure that it always will. It was the team that went 8-4 instead of 0-12 and kept the program from falling apart. That was quite a feat but it has no category. It should not be listed alongside conference and national championships.

Overall the list of years does not make sense and that is my point.

Last edited:
It made sense to list 2012 in the moment. I'm not sure that it always will. It was the team that went 8-4 instead of 0-12 and kept the program from falling apart. That was quite a feat but it has no category. It should not be listed alongside conference and national championships.

Overall the list of years does not make sense and that is my point.

It is really amazing that the university put 2012 up there since that team only stands out due to the crisis of the university's making. It's like, "We screwed up royally and want to recognize that team for our screw-up." Any other university would have pushed back on the ncaa to the point that the football program wouldn't have been sanctioned and wouldn't have missed a beat. Thus, with normal leadership, 2012 would only be up there for being undefeated.

Reactions: Zenophile and Bob78
I like 2012 as a special honor to those players. The other years were all either undefeated seasons or championships with 2016 being the big 10 championship.

Reactions: Bob78
It is really amazing that the university put 2012 up there since that team only stands out due to the crisis of the university's making. It's like, "We screwed up royally and want to recognize that team for our screw-up." Any other university would have pushed back on the ncaa to the point that the football program wouldn't have been sanctioned and wouldn't have missed a beat. Thus, with normal leadership, 2012 would only be up there for being undefeated.

Once again, we Bobs tend to agree here for the most part. :eek:

I'm ok with 2012 being displayed. It was a unique, and in its own way, a great season when it was all said and done. But the season's greatness was completely due to the team and coaches and football alumni and to a lesser extent, the PSU alumni who continued their support despite their protest of the OGBOT. And it was great despite the reasons the powers-that-were thought the 2012 season was worthy of noting in such a manner.

The OGBOT, in their inimitable tone deafness and myopia, thought that the 2012 season was in large part due to them having saved football from the NCAA's and B1G's nuking it altogether. We stayed on TV, dontcha know, thanks to someone relaying O'Brien's plea (would Rod have ceded that as well without someone else thinking of it for him?). The OGBOT kept their suites, of course, thanks to their own self-interests in placing that as one of their top priorities. They even trotted out Joyner and Rod at one point (when was that??.... at the 2012 unveiling??) to accept the heartfelt applause and admiration of the 90,000 paid attendance. Not surprisingly, a noise far different than what they were expecting came rumbling out of the stands, aimed directly at those two and any other OGBOT in attendance.

Just an alternate Bob thought on that whole 2012 thingy. tifwiw.
(and can't you just feel the jealousy of the non-Bobs permeating through the internet?! Or maybe I just dug my toast out of the plugged-in toaster with a knife. Either way.)

Reactions: Zenophile

I'm ok with 2012 being displayed. It was a unique, and in its own way, a great season when it was all said and done. But the season's greatness was completely due to the team and coaches and football alumni and to a lesser extent, the PSU alumni who continued their support despite their protest of the OGBOT. And it was great despite the reasons the powers-that-were thought the 2012 season was worthy of noting in such a manner.

The OGBOT, in their inimitable tone deafness and myopia, thought that the 2012 season was in large part due to them having saved football from the NCAA's and B1G's nuking it altogether. We stayed on TV, dontcha know, thanks to someone relaying O'Brien's plea (would Rod have ceded that as well without someone else thinking of it for him?). The OGBOT kept their suites, of course, thanks to their own self-interests in placing that as one of their top priorities. They even trotted out Joyner and Rod at one point (when was that??.... at the 2012 unveiling??) to accept the heartfelt applause and admiration of the 90,000 paid attendance. Not surprisingly, a noise far different than what they were expecting came rumbling out of the stands, aimed directly at those two and any other OGBOT in attendance.

(and can't you just feel the jealousy of the non-Bobs permeating through the internet?! Or maybe I just dug my toast out of the plugged-in toaster with a knife. Either way.)

We have to stop agreeing. BRING. THE. OUTRAGE. :eek:

Seriously, you make a very fair point. To be clear, I'm sure that the university "leadership" do not believe that they screwed up in 2012. At least, they will never admit it. 2012 being up there can be interpreted as recognition of their screw-up by those of us who know the score. That said, I believe, in part, that they put 2012 up there to placate the alumni. "Shut 'em up with football." That likely was part of it. However, I also agree that in their ego-induced stupor, some of them believe they saved the football program, and thus, 2012 is recognition of them, not the team.

Reactions: Zenophile and Bob78

Huh? I'm with you through the second sentence in your second paragraph. 2012 belongs - period. No asterisk needed.

Huh? I'm with you through the second sentence in your second paragraph. 2012 belongs - period. No asterisk needed.

If I may borrow from you.... Huh?
Perhaps it was not clear in your reading of it, but I completely support the 2012 honor belonging on the suites.

I then stated why the reasons for that were likely different from what the OGBOT thought when they made the decision to add it. I did not add, nor imply, an asterisk.
It's a discussion board. I discussed; mainly with myself, but still....

Side note to Bob's post. I don't think that "no TV" was ever actually on the table--as it would have punished all the other schools that PSU played. Just a threat to get PSU to knuckle under to what they did do.:eek:

Side note to Bob's post. I don't think that "no TV" was ever actually on the table--as it would have punished all the other schools that PSU played. Just a threat to get PSU to knuckle under to what they did do.:eek:

Could very well be right. I don't know for certain.

What I am pretty certain of is that Rod couldn't play poker with these guys, and they knew it. And apparently Rod didn't have the sense to call a friend to see if a pair of deuces really did beat a full house, like they told him it did. They happily exploited our weakest link. At a number of key times between Nov. 2011 and July 2012, when we most needed a leader in the room and at the table, seems like we were sorely lacking.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but if I had it my way I'd do away with the list of seasons, retired numbers (only one for now) and suites. It reminds me of pro football. I find it tacky. Also the big ten and lion logos are unnecessary on the front of the uniform.

Could very well be right. I don't know for certain.

What I am pretty certain of is that Rod couldn't play poker with these guys, and they knew it. And apparently Rod didn't have the sense to call a friend to see if a pair of deuces really did beat a full house, like they told him it did. They happily exploited our weakest link. At a number of key times between Nov. 2011 and July 2012, when we most needed a leader in the room and at the table, seems like we were sorely lacking.
Rod was put in charge by some very crafty people who knew exactly what they were doing. Look at the guy they originally wanted to replace him with. Another plan to put a compromised loser in the President's chair.

Remember that 2012 is included. It should look like this on the suites:

2008?

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
A few things to the OP:

1. To your point about lighting up the face of the suites or putting the letting/years in LED so they are more visible at night .... > I feel the entire stadium is too dark at night. The lighting at Beaver Stadium really only lights the field and leaves much of the stadium in darkness. When we have a night game and they show an over-head aerial shot, the stadium is not totally lit up. I think it's very cool when the entire stadium is lit up. For example, watch when LSU or Alabama host a night game and they show an over-head of Bryant-Deny or Tiger Stadium .... those stadiums are way more lit up than Beaver Stadium. I would love to see them add some sort of lighting across the tops of the press box, the suits and the North/South decks that lit up the entire stadium seating areas.

2. As far as I know there are no "major" changes coming to the stadium in 2017.

RE: the lettering/numbers on the face of the suites:
1. I think the years should be listed under an achievement. They should have categories such as "Undefeated seasons", "B1G Champs".

2. I think we should re-examine "2012" on this spot and maybe list "2012" somewhere else. Or maybe honor the 2012 team with something outside the stadium.

3. One thing I think is very cool and very unique to Penn State is how few coaches we've had thru our history. We have 100+ years of football history and like 6 FULL TIME coaches. I think a good idea under another category on the face of the suites would be "Full Time Head Coaches" and list those coaches. Make it like an honor to be a once Full Time Head Coach at Penn State.

Rod was put in charge by some very crafty people who knew exactly what they were doing. Look at the guy they originally wanted to replace him with. Another plan to put a compromised loser in the President's chair.

Yes, and IMO we dodged a huge problem when they backed out of that hire. It made no sense. Whoever exposed the problems with that guy may have saved the University. If somebody had the time to figure out who Smith was connected to, and who was pushing him, it would go a long way towards helping to understand what was really going on with the trustees and the university during that period. After he was exposed, whoever was pushing him probably lost a lot of credibility. Barron is far from perfect, but at least has the resume of someone who would hold a job like this.

Yes, and IMO we dodged a huge problem when they backed out of that hire. It made no sense. Whoever exposed the problems with that guy may have saved the University. If somebody had the time to figure out who Smith was connected to, and who was pushing him, it would go a long way towards helping to understand what was really going on with the trustees and the university during that period. After he was exposed, whoever was pushing him probably lost a lot of credibility. Barron is far from perfect, but at least has the resume of someone who would hold a job like this.
I would guess that the person pushing for convicted SUNY President to succeed Fraudney didn't lose credibility with any of the pigs feeding at the BOT trough.

I would guess that the person pushing for convicted SUNY President to succeed Fraudney didn't lose credibility with any of the pigs feeding at the BOT trough.

Only a BOT member from that era could explain what was going on (assuming that most of the BOT themselves were not in the dark). I've always had suspicions of where that name came from but of course no way of finding out for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT