ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here from Johnstown?

JRHawk2003

Jul 9, 2003
Iowa fan here...not looking for fight. I just read David McCollough's incredible book on the 1889 flood. Anyone here from there? I really want to visit there now. We had bad floods in 2008, not like that, but it seems everywhere. What is the impact of the flooding there today? Does it still flood sometimes? Thanks.

Here is to a good game next week.

Iowa fan here...not looking for fight. I just read David McCollough's incredible book on the 1889 flood. Anyone here from there? I really want to visit there now. We had bad floods in 2008, not like that, but it seems everywhere. What is the impact of the flooding there today? Does it still flood sometimes? Thanks.

Thankfully, no. But I go there to buy my heroin and to get in gun fights.

"Fun" fact. 75 years after the flood, everyone in Pennsylvania still pays an 18% tax on all alcohol to pay for the rebuild of Johnstown, even though it was competed in the 1940s.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011...ll-paying-johnstown-flood-tax-70-years-later/

Reactions: Ski and Sharkies

Does McCollough mention that the movie Slapshot is about the Johnstown Chiefs?

Reactions: FHSPSU67
They've been stealing $200 MM a year on this scam. What makes you think if they repealed it they wouldn't shake you down with some reincarnation of it? The valve stem tax, the saxophone reed tax, the hot sauce tax, etc.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
I live 10 miles south of Johnstown. Best two places to visit are the Johnstown Flood National Memorial outside St. Michael, Pa where the dam broke causing the flooding, and the Johnstown Flood Museum in downtown Johnstown at the intersection of Washington and Walnut streets. The Greater Johnstown Area also had major floods in 1936 and 1977, hence "The Flood City" moniker.

Reactions: WyomingLion

My wife and I visited the Johnstown Flood National Memorial, located at the spot where the South Fork Dam failed in 1889 and sent an ungodly amount of water down and into the unsuspecting town of Johnstown. If you're visiting the area to learn about the flood, the national memorial is a must see. Unsure what downtown Johnstown has to offer regarding the flood. Also of interest in the area is the Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site, within an hour of Johnstown. Enjoy!

I live 10 miles south of Johnstown. Best two places to visit are the Johnstown Flood National Memorial outside St. Michael, Pa where the dam broke causing the flooding, and the Johnstown Flood Museum in downtown Johnstown at the intersection of Washington and Walnut streets. The Greater Johnstown Area also had major floods in 1936 and 1977, hence "The Flood City" moniker.
Don't forget hurricane Agnes in 1972. I remember people in row boats going up and down the isles in the Acme in Bens Creek. We had over a foot of mud in our garage and first floor. Remember my mom getting washed down the road and an ambulance crew chasing after her. We caught a big snapping turtle in our back yard and there were fish swimming around in the front yard. My family lived on North Fork Rd by the North Fork Country Club then.

My mom and my younger brothers lived in Winder when the 1977 flood happened. I was lucky enough to have been in Orlando when that flood happened.

There are high water marks on many of the buildings in downtown Johnstown from more than one of the floods.

yes I live in Johnstown, and I also read that book. It is excellent! I read articles and other books on the flood and after awhile they became mundane and actually boring. They all repeat the same information. This book digs deeper into the area, the history of the canal and the reason for the need to build a manmade lake there in the first place. First hand accounts are used to paint a picture of the time and I found it riveting and couldn't put it down. Anyone familiar with the area would appreciate his description of the path of the flood by naming towns and landmarks destroyed or made during the trip down the gorge. One impact of the flood was that Pittsburgh was finally able to surpass J-Town as the steel capitol. Johnstown was never able to recover in that sense.

yes I live in Johnstown, and I also read that book. It is excellent! I read articles and other books on the flood and after awhile they became mundane and actually boring. They all repeat the same information. This book digs deeper into the area, the history of the canal and the reason for the need to build a manmade lake there in the first place. First hand accounts are used to paint a picture of the time and I found it riveting and couldn't put it down. Anyone familiar with the area would appreciate his description of the path of the flood by naming towns and landmarks destroyed or made during the trip down the gorge. One impact of the flood was that Pittsburgh was finally able to surpass J-Town as the steel capitol. Johnstown was never able to recover in that sense.

Sounds like a great read. Putting it on my list.

ADVERTISEMENT