ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here ever had a reverse shoulder replacement?

Eyecatcher

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2021
PA/NY
If so how long was it until you recovered enough to not need help with basic life stuff? Just wondering as my sainted mother is going under the knife soon, and I need to be around to help my father with her... but the walleyes will be biting soon to.

Is that removing a good shoulder and replacing with a impaired shoulder? Doesn’t sound advisable to me...

Apparently they reverse the mechanics of it. Your shoulder is the socket, and your arm is the ball that rotates inside it normally. They make your shoulder the ball and the top of your arm bone the socket in this procedure. Probably a little bit more involved than your normal rotator cuff procedure.

Have had both of my shoulders replaced - reverse shoulder replacement. One was done when I was 77 and the other at 79. It is NOT as bad as a rotator cuff procedure. Should be able to do little things after 3 weeks except lift your arm over your head. Was back to playing golf 10 -12 weeks after the surgery.

Have had both of my shoulders replaced - reverse shoulder replacement. One was done when I was 77 and the other at 79. It is NOT as bad as a rotator cuff procedure. Should be able to do little things after 3 weeks except lift your arm over your head. Was back to playing golf 10 -12 weeks after the surgery.

That’s great to hear! I’m hoping she gets back relatively quickly, but kind of sketching out my schedule. As I want to be around to help, but also want to be at the lake. My Dad will be around to help primarily, but if she can get something to eat herself in a few weeks we could be stocking the fridge with fish off and on.

If so how long was it until you recovered enough to not need help with basic life stuff? Just wondering as my sainted mother is going under the knife soon, and I need to be around to help my father with her... but the walleyes will be biting soon to.

You may want to check with BobPSU92 for advice since he most assuredly has had reversed shoulder surgery, reverse elbow surgery, reversed wrist surgery as well as reversed finger joint surgery.

My wife had this right before Christmas. She was in a sling for 3 days. After that some problems were pulling up her pants , washing her hair , putting on and taking off her bra and winter coat, and lifting anything above her head. Reaching high shelves and getting anything down was a problem.
She started Physical therapy after one week from surgery. Since you no longer have a rotator cuff strength is the biggest problem . She is still working on that 4 months out. My wife's surgery was on her non dominant arm, if your mom is having her dominant arm shoulder done it may take longer to recover.
All in all,she is self sufficient right now .
This was less involved than my two rotator cuff repairs.

Reactions: Eyecatcher
My wife had this right before Christmas. She was in a sling for 3 days. After that some problems were pulling up her pants , washing her hair , putting on and taking off her bra and winter coat, and lifting anything above her head. Reaching high shelves and getting anything down was a problem.
She started Physical therapy after one week from surgery. Since you no longer have a rotator cuff strength is the biggest problem . She is still working on that 4 months out. My wife's surgery was on her non dominant arm, if your mom is having her dominant arm shoulder done it may take longer to recover.
All in all,she is self sufficient right now .
This was less involved than my two rotator cuff repairs.
Wow that would be awesome! Hope your wife keeps recovering well!

Apparently they reverse the mechanics of it. Your shoulder is the socket, and your arm is the ball that rotates inside it normally. They make your shoulder the ball and the top of your arm bone the socket in this procedure. Probably a little bit more involved than your normal rotator cuff procedure.
Is this a euphemism for a sex change?

My father had this procedure done in October of last year and just had to have it fixed two weeks ago. His prescribed physical therapy caused a failure in the repaired shoulder. He was less than pleased to have to go through the surgery a second time.

My father had this procedure done in October of last year and just had to have it fixed two weeks ago. His prescribed physical therapy caused a failure in the repaired shoulder. He was less than pleased to have to go through the surgery a second time.

That sucks! Hope he’s on the mend this time.

She had the surgery, and came through with flying colors. Now hopefully she’ll quickly get on her feet enough to take care of herself a little, so I can plan some fishing trips. Thanks for all your advice gentlemen!

Reactions: PSU Soupy
She had the surgery, and came through with flying colors. Now hopefully she’ll quickly get on her feet enough to take care of herself a little, so I can plan some fishing trips. Thanks for all your advice gentlemen!
Glad to hear......

Have you seen sometime for a 2nd opinion? A guy wanted to do a reverse on my Dad's shoulder, but he found a guy in Pittsburgh - Pat McMahon - fixed him real nice arthroscopicaly without having the replacement.

Reactions: Eyecatcher
Have you seen sometime for a 2nd opinion? A guy wanted to do a reverse on my Dad's shoulder, but he found a guy in Pittsburgh - Pat McMahon - fixed him real nice arthroscopicaly without having the replacement.
Yeah, she got multiple opinions. No rotator cuff, and massive arthritis made this the only option according to all. I’m glad it worked out differently for your Dad though!

Reactions: SoParkLion
No, but just getting over a frozen shoulder after a year and a half, fml. Best of luck!
Ooof. I had that a few months ago after dealing with a variety of other shoulder ailments (impingement, bursitis). Fortunately, a cortisone shot and PT got me pretty good flexibility very quickly. I’ve had a few cortisone shots, but this one was perfect.

I want to start climbing soon (indoor gym), but won’t until I get full flexibility over my head. I’m stuck at about 95%, so just stretching and weights right now

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT