ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here drive with two feet?

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
I use the right foot for the gas and brake and I don't use the left foot. And I heard someone saying that they use both feet, with the left over the brake and the right over the gas, and thus their reaction time when they need to hit the brakes is shorter. This seems so obvious that it makes me wonder why it isn't the norm. Any thoughts?

Reactions: TheGLOV
There is a time where I use two feet (and I assume you are only talking automatics) ... it’s starting from a stop going up a steep hill or hill when wet/icy and I need to switch very quickly. Otherwise you should Anticipate when you need to use either.

Reactions: kgilbert78
My mom drives that way and I have never understood why or how but she never has any accidents at least

I use the right foot for the gas and brake and I don't use the left foot. And I heard someone saying that they use both feet, with the left over the brake and the right over the gas, and thus their reaction time when they need to hit the brakes is shorter. This seems so obvious that it makes me wonder why it isn't the norm. Any thoughts?
Driving with two feet is like masterbating with both hands... you just don’t do it.

flintstonescar.jpg

Two feet is a terrible idea. This was taught 30+ years ago in drivers ed and I’m sure this wasn’t a new idea at the time. My mom does it as she didn’t seem to know any better. Getting her to break the habit wasn’t an option as she didn’t see a problem with it.

Reactions: dwiz
I use my hands.

Maybe there was a day a long time ago when I was flexible enough to get my feet up that high. But now that I am older, I could not imagine getting my feet up to the steering wheel. Sometimes when I am eating & driving, I use a knee so I can use both hands to eat.

My father switched to two feet sometime in his 60s. I don’t recall the rationale, but I do recall that he never developed any feel with his left foot so from that point on, every stop was a whiplash event to one degree or another. 😂

Reactions: cment and 83wuzme
NASCAR drivers use two feet, they do so to make better lap times. Using brake and accelerator at same time somehow gets the car to turn better. Must be tough on brakes. There is a video on youtube somewhere of a driver using all three pedals at the same time while downshifting to turn. He only had two feet.

NASCAR drivers use two feet, they do so to make better lap times. Using brake and accelerator at same time somehow gets the car to turn better. Must be tough on brakes. There is a video on youtube somewhere of a driver using all three pedals at the same time while downshifting to turn. He only had two feet.

I have a buddy who is a recreational "race driver". He has a Porsche that he modified and down here in the Atlanta area you can take your car to Road Atlanta certain times to race it, or just open it up at full speeds on a track. I went driving with him one time and he did exactly what you describe. He used both feet. Around turns he worked brake/gas pedals simultaneously to whip around turns faster, and control around turns. It was the greatest driving that I personally ever witnessed as I was sitting in his passenger seat.

Two feet on the steering wheel?

NEVER drive an automatic transmission with two feet. It is a bad habit. My mother used to do it all the time. It is a lazy, unsafe way to drive.

Yes, as someone pointed out, you can do it when on a steep incline and you are trying to avoid the car drifting back, but that is the only time you should do that.

One of the many great things about standard transmissions- you could not be a two-footed driver as you had to use the left foot for the clutch and the right for gas & brake. (Two-footed as in left for brake and right for gas). Saw someone who plowed right through a dry cleaning store's plate glass window because they were a two-footed driver. Applied gas while foot was lightly covering the brake.

Now that's a drive-through!!!!

Reactions: step.eng69

Fred Flintstone does!

Unless driving a manual I use the right foot for gas and brake. It's so ingrained I doubt there's much difference in reaction time, if any. I would probably be slower with both feet right now. My wife drives with two feet and it bothers me to see it.

mostly two hands and one foot- right hand throttle and front brake- left foot shifter, left hand clutch right foot is for rear brake and used less

Reactions: NittanyHoosier
My old man drove with two feet right for gas / left for brake. It was horrible. Jerky ride to say the least.

There is a time where I use two feet (and I assume you are only talking automatics) ... it’s starting from a stop going up a steep hill or hill when wet/icy and I need to switch very quickly. Otherwise you should Anticipate when you need to use either.

The real test for driving a standard transmission is starting on a steep hill. Left foot clutching, right heel on the brake and ball of foot/toes on accelerator. The transition from left heel on brake and then off the brake as you move forward is the fun part.

The real test for driving a standard transmission is starting on a steep hill. Left foot clutching, right heel on the brake and ball of foot/toes on accelerator. The transition from left heel on brake and then off the brake as you move forward is the fun part.

Parking brake is a wonderful tool for starting from a stop on a hill with a stick

you guys nail it. Three problems with driving with two feet:
  1. if you leave your left foot on the brake you brake lights are on full time. This invalidates the purpose of brake lights ("hey dipshit, I am slowing down or stopping!) and increases the risk of being hit from behind.
  2. if you leave it on the brake you will wear down your brake pads and make your gas mileage worse. Save the ****ing planet!
  3. Driving a stick will never be easy so good luck renting a car in Europe or most of the rest of the world.

I learned to drive on an old Willys jeep- the old man made me work that out before I was allowed to drive anything with an automatic. "A man needs to be able to drive anything"

you guys nail it. Three problems with driving with two feet:
  1. if you leave your left foot on the brake you brake lights are on full time. This invalidates the purpose of brake lights ("hey dipshit, I am slowing down or stopping!) and increases the risk of being hit from behind.
  2. if you leave it on the brake you will wear down your brake pads and make your gas mileage worse. Save the ****ing planet!
  3. Driving a stick will never be easy so good luck renting a car in Europe or most of the rest of the world.

I always enjoyed driving standard transmission. Jobs during summers required it. This was before the days of hill assist if that exists for standards today (I know it does for my truck now).

The first vehicle I bought after getting a job was a full size Chevy Blazer (1977) with standard transmission and no air conditioning. I was living in Pittsburgh at the time and after driving the hills there, I swore I would never buy a standard transmission again. I then moved to Annapolis, MD and after living a summer there, I swore I would never buy a vehicle without air conditioning again. Never looked back.

Reactions: Obliviax
I learned to drive on an old Willys jeep- the old man made me work that out before I was allowed to drive anything with an automatic. "A man needs to be able to drive anything"

Also, drove one of those in high school. Starter on the floor. Rag (and I mean literally) top.

I always enjoyed driving standard transmission. Jobs during summers required it. This was before the days of hill assist if that exists for standards today (I know it does for my truck now).

The first vehicle I bought after getting a job was a full size Chevy Blazer (1977) with standard transmission and no air conditioning. I was living in Pittsburgh at the time and after driving the hills there, I swore I would never buy a standard transmission again. I then moved to Annapolis, MD and after living a summer there, I swore I would never buy a vehicle without air conditioning again. Never looked back.
both of my sons got jobs parking cars and working at a dealership in the summers because they were one of the few that know how to drive a stick. Often, at nice restaurants, that meant they got to park and bring up the sports cars. They still brag about driving McClarens and Ferraris.

Reactions: GSPMax
I can honestly say I've never heard of using your right foot like that.

both of my sons got jobs parking cars and working at a dealership in the summers because they were one of the few that know how to drive a stick. Often, at nice restaurants, that meant they got to park and bring up the sports cars. They still brag about driving McClarens and Ferraris.

Anybody who drives with 2 feet probably presses the gas and the brake at the same time which is not good. They would really be screwed if they had a manual transmission.

Yes, when I was 15 1/2 and received my drivers permit. My father told me to stop and never do it again. I stopped and have never done it since.

ADVERTISEMENT