ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone going to the Super Bowl Parade??

Delco Lion

Feb 16, 2017
Chadds Ford, PA
Getting in town early, have breakfast, got 9:30 tix for the Terracotta Warriors Exhibit at the Franklin Institute, then walk or run to the Art Museum!

EAGLES!

Reactions: LionJim
I am. I am not a huge Eagles fan but my wife and son are. I am leaving the planning up to the wife. I will see what she comes up with.

Heck yes! Various school districts are already announcing their closure for the day. It's gonna be they party of all parties!

Getting in town early, have breakfast, got 9:30 tix for the Terracotta Warriors Exhibit at the Franklin Institute, then walk or run to the Art Museum!

sounds like a nice plan, Delco. I would be a tad concerned about the Art Museum area being filled up by the time you get out of the exhibit.

I am. Getting to the regional rail at like 4am to park

It seems regional rail will be a disaster. You're supposed to prebuy the tickets. People were buying extras and planning to scalp them. When the tickets were sold out yesterday the crowd immediately just said we'll just rush the train Thursday. Its going to be chaotic and dangerous to get on a train. I've given up on that.

Not sure driving will be a picnic but at least you're in control. But with so many roads closed it's gonna be tough.

Regional rail tomorrow
6165d1182749374-how-dangerous-are-indian-trains-overloaded_train_hanging_india.jpg

I got a hotel room downtown. Will be going tonight. The hotel sold out yesterday afternoon. Price is about 3x normal.

School closures for a football parade? The kids won't be happy when they are stuck in school one more day in June.
I've seen one estimate of 2 million people who may attend the parade. South Philadelphia H.S. is on Broad St. and will likely be swamped by people. I think it's a good call to cancel school for the day district wide. The student transportation logistics would otherwise be a mess.

In rural PA most schools are closed on the first day of deer season. Schools are closed in Punxsutawney every February 2nd. A school district needs to do what makes sense.

Last edited:
I was 5th in line to get a regional rail pass at 5:30am. Still trying to figure out whether to get it at Primos or Media

I've seen one estimate of 2 million people who may attend the parade. South Philadelphia H.S. is on Broad St. and will likely be swamped by people. I think it's a good call to cancel school for the day district wide. The student transportation logistics would otherwise be a mess.

In rural PA most schools are closed on the first day of deer season. Schools are closed in Punxsutawney every February 2nd. A school district needs to do what makes sense.
Philly schools closed for the parade

Originally when the parade date was announced, they also announced that Phila public schools, Archdiocese of Phila schools and Upper Darby Schools would be closed. Since then I've heard of others closing. Yesterday I was listening to 97.5 and heard the superintendent of Collingswood SD sent out an email or robo call saying that due to the expected 3 to 6" of green and white confetti, school would be closed Thursday. Loved it!

Reactions: Nitwit
3 million people

Free beer

Advised to arrive early by 7AM & will take long time to leave (maybe 7PM)

850 port a potties

Anyone see any problem?

Reactions: odshowtime
3 million people

Free beer

Advised to arrive early by 7AM & will take long time to leave (maybe 7PM)

850 port a potties

Anyone see any problem?

I don't know but for those of younz going please take cell phone videos and post them. The more violent the better. :D

Philly mayor made a statement: "I hope the KNUCKLE-HEAD contingent stays home." Good luck with that!!!!

I don't know but for those of younz going please take cell phone videos and post them. The more violent the better. :D

Nothing more violent than the Eagles beatdowns of the Cowgirls. What time is the parade in Dallas??

Not I. And I heard numbers like as many as 3 million will attend. Personally I think that number is way overblown and would not be surprised to see one to one and a half million attend. People will begin to arrive at 7 o'clock in the morning and the parade will reach the art museum around noon. the weather will keep many away even though the sun will be out. Plus, like pardlion, where would I pee?

And I heard numbers like as many as 3 million will attend. Personally I think that number is way overblown and would not be surprised to see one to one and a half million attend.

we'll see. I've lost track of how many friends, relatives, etc. are coming in from out of state (i.e., outside of PA, New Jersey, or Delaware). The regional rail tickets are all sold out. PATCO is not selling tickets after 7 pm today. At this point, it appears that most of the school districts in the suburbs in PA and South NJ are closing. The weather looks to be cold but sunny. That could limit some people, but I don't think a lot of people.

Yes, if you live in the Philadelphia region, you can watch the entire parade from the comfort of your living room. However, there's nothing like being at a victory parade, and this one is likely to be pretty epic. Since the parade will be spread out over quite a long distance, I'm not sure the crowd size will be estimated. But I would not be surprised if the numbers is above your estimate of 1.5 mill

Reactions: LionJim and Nitwit
Actually thinking of going down more towards Broad and Oregon.

I'm glad you found out that the FI will be closed.

Broad & Oregon could be a good spot to catch it. It's not at the start, which is likely to be crowded, or the end, which is likely to be mobbed.

Have fun

I'm glad you found out that the FI will be closed.

Broad & Oregon could be a good spot to catch it. It's not at the start, which is likely to be crowded, or the end, which is likely to be mobbed.

Have fun

The final plan... thought about Broad and Oregon, just worried about parking in the area. I would think some entrepreneurs will be selling parking spots in some lots.

We've pretty much decided to go for the gold and try for City Hall or Lombard and Broad. My fiance works at CHOP and has underground parking. We are going to park there and try to catch the Market L to get near City Hall. We could also walk over the South St bridge and go straight to Broad St. Going to go with the flow and see how we make out.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
My fiance works at CHOP

I heard a report (don't recall where) that CHOP sent out a notice to their staff stating that basically nobody could take a day off. I guess they were afraid that they wouldn't have the minimum number of medical personnel required to handle their patients.

I heard a report (don't recall where) that CHOP sent out a notice to their staff stating that basically nobody could take a day off. I guess they were afraid that they wouldn't have the minimum number of medical personnel required to handle their patients.
I told our staff that nobody could have Midnight Green Flu on Thursday, but one lives in the Rittenhouse Square area and would have a very difficult time getting in and out to South Jersey, so I looked the other way. And I think I might have to eat a little crow about my prediction of no more than 1.5 million today. Northbound 95 and the westbound Turnpike in Bucks and Montgomery Counties had maybe half the volume of a normal workday.

EAGLES!

Please don't go all "Eagles fan" on that exhibit.

:eek:

My morning commute traffic, which is usually bumper to bumper, was like a Sunday morning. I think 3 million might be low.

I'm only good for one major parade a year so I'm saving myself for the Trump (you think it's not going to have his name on it like everything else?) Military Parade.

Fun day... Ended up going to Oregon Ave. Arrived at Oregon Ave about 8:30AM. Parked in the middle of the road up on a grass median, six blocks away from Broad and Oregon. Front row! Parade rolled by about 11:20. Went to a bar on Oregon Ave, then ended up watching the ceremony at John Morton's in Morton.

I must say, it was a great time.

I'm not going, because I'm getting older and I'm worried about where I would be able to pee.
The number of guys (and gals) peeing street-side in CC after the ceremony was dizzying. Hoping for rain STAT.

Was down at broad and packer.

Good time. My son, niece and nephew were right up next to the barricades.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT