ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone fish Glacier?

bkmtnittany1

Jan 12, 2014
Guys...planning a trip out west next fall. Have done Yellowstone a ton of times and love it but I am thinking of heading to Glacier to do some hiking as well as fishing if possible. heading out after Auburn game. Anyone ever wet a line in Glacier? Thanks

Guys...planning a trip out west next fall. Have done Yellowstone a ton of times and love it but I am thinking of heading to Glacier to do some hiking as well as fishing if possible. heading out after Auburn game. Anyone ever wet a line in Glacier? Thanks

Amazing park and on my short list to visit. Have a great facebook page(Glacier National Park) where people are very helpful with suggestions when asked questions and the pictures are amazing. Lots of bears roaming that place as well.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1

It is really the next big US trip I want to take. It looks absolutely stunning and I am jealous. I will need to wait until my little girl is big enough for another big trip.

I have a Nordic track exercise bike, and they have these video workouts that take you on different trails around the world. I did a week long one around Fuji. Others around switzerland, patagonia, the Alps, Spain Mojave, Utah etc. I have to say by FAR the two most beautiful were the Alps and Glacier National Park. GNP was just a more wild version of that section of the alps. Obviously it is just a video but you get a sense.

Been to Glacier but did not fish it. One of our most scenic parks. Don't miss the hike at the Continental Divide (Logan Pass):

This site highlighted a couple of spots within the park:

Montana Fishing Spots

Did my honeymoon there but didn’t fish. Did fish in Yellowstone a few years ago though.
Did my honeymoon there as well. Actually a great place to have one if your spouse loves the outdoors. Stayed in Teton Village, great night spots. Loved the Mangy Moose!

Reactions: Ranger Dan
It is really the next big US trip I want to take. It looks absolutely stunning and I am jealous. I will need to wait until my little girl is big enough for another big trip.

I have a Nordic track exercise bike, and they have these video workouts that take you on different trails around the world. I did a week long one around Fuji. Others around switzerland, patagonia, the Alps, Spain Mojave, Utah etc. I have to say by FAR the two most beautiful were the Alps and Glacier National Park. GNP was just a more wild version of that section of the alps. Obviously it is just a video but you get a sense.
Don't wait long! We took our kids when they were 6 and 4, again when they were 9 and 7. We took our son when he was one! Had no issues except my daughter crying because we would not let her out of the van to "pet" a grizzly that we had spotted alongside the road....coming in the east entrance to yellowstone from Cody.

Don't wait long! We took our kids when they were 6 and 4, again when they were 9 and 7. We took our son when he was one! Had no issues except my daughter crying because we would not let her out of the van to "pet" a grizzly that we had spotted alongside the road....coming in the east entrance to yellowstone from Cody.

My little one is 15 months so I fear hiking and long car rides are still just out of her reach.
Soon enough though! 4 seems like a good age to start.

That drive from Cody to Yellowstone is fantastic. The wife and I did the Beartooth, all the way down to cody and back into yellowstone in one day. What a fantastic trip that was.

Took the family out to Glacier last summer (August timeframe). In a word, "spectacular". Didn't fish, but hiked a ton (over 700 miles of hiking trails, so something for everyone). For hiking trails, our favorites were Grinnel Glacier and Iceberg Lake. Both on the eastern side of the park, so a little less traveled, and I think a better chance of spotting widelife. We saw a mother Grizz with a cub (fortunately at a distance) and a couple black bears. On the Grinnel Glacier hike the two groups of hikers in front of us stopped at one point, and when we caught up to them, the front group said they had spotted a mountain lion not far off the trail. As they say, usually by the time you spot a mountain line, its already too late, but the three groups together made up six people, so probably not something he wanted to deal with. Also did Hidden Lake overlook hike which was beautiful (we hiked all the way down to the lake, the return being a bit of a lung buster), easily accessible from Logan Pass. One of the Big Horned Rams came within about 10 feet of my oldest daughter. In hindsight probably not the safest thing in the world, but quite the experience. Only hike we didn't do that we wanted to was Highline Trail, but didn't have enough days to get that one in.

As stated, didn't fish, but did some white-water rafting. Unfortunately it was August and it had been a dry summer, so water levels were way down. Still enjoyed it but the class 4s and 3s were only 3s and 2s, so not quite as exhilirating. Definitely want to do the Going to the Sun road, absolutely breathtaking, and a bit of white knuckler if you are driving. I believe it is the only road that you can take that spans the complete park from east to west, so it is hard to avoid it. If you have folks who are afraid of heights (like my wife), make sure the sit on the "inside" half of the car. Elevation change is something like 5,000 feet over the course of 5 - 6 miles, so it will get your attention.

We stayed at a Airbnb in Whitefish (about 15 miles from the Western Entrance to the park). Beautiful little town with all kinds of boutique shopping and restaurants. You can tell there is a lot of money there. Also home to Whitefish Ski Reort, which has a really good reputation. They have zip-lining in the summer months (although we didn't have time to do that). Plenty of nice areas with amenities on the west side of the park (Whitefish and Kalispell), the east side is definitely more rural. Also if you are willing to drive an hour or so south of Kalispell, there is Flathead Lake. Gotta believe there is a lot of good fishing there. Supposedly the 5th largest lake in Montana and absolutely georgeous.

Highly, highly recommend the trip!

My little one is 15 months so I fear hiking and long car rides are still just out of her reach.
Soon enough though! 4 seems like a good age to start.

That drive from Cody to Yellowstone is fantastic. The wife and I did the Beartooth, all the way down to cody and back into yellowstone in one day. What a fantastic trip that was.
Seriously...nothing is better than the Beartooth. Did it twice, and after the second trip we stayed in Red Lodge. We were going to Cody the next day but had to find an alternate route because the Beartooth was closed down because of snow. It was July 7th! Stay at the Irma Hotel in Cody with your kids, especially in the summer. Avoid the Hotel in the fall, filled with hunters.

Funny how no one seems to have fished it. But what the hell, I haven't either and will still throw my 2c in. The thing about Glacier - particularly relative to Yellowstone - is that there is something about it that invites you out of your car.

The other recommendation I would strongly make, again a fishing-agnostic one, is to bring your passport and (Covid permitting) take a day or so and go to the "northern half of Glacier - Waterton Lakes in Canada. Have a drink at the Prince of Wales out on the bluff.

Amazing park and on my short list to visit. Have a great facebook page(Glacier National Park) where people are very helpful with suggestions when asked questions and the pictures are amazing. Lots of bears roaming that place as well.
Agreed - Glacier is awesome.

But compared to Alaska it is like Manhattan!

You fisherman will find this interesting! Before I was drafted, I worked for Weyerhaeuser out of Klamath Falls, OR. They set me up with this HS school science teacher who worked for them during summers. He knew the area, I knew how to cruise timber. He was really into fishing and we went to Crater Lake X2! The "walls" are so steep that spring thaw provides enough flow and oxygen for natural rainbow reproduction. Jump off the edge, land and "ski" down! The climb out was crazy! Limbs nailed to saplings for ladders. I don't know if there was more than one trail out or not!

You fisherman will find this interesting! Before I was drafted, I worked for Weyerhaeuser out of Klamath Falls, OR. They set me up with this HS school science teacher who worked for them during summers. He knew the area, I knew how to cruise timber. He was really into fishing and we went to Crater Lake X2! The "walls" are so steep that spring thaw provides enough flow and oxygen for natural rainbow reproduction. Jump off the edge, land and "ski" down! The climb out was crazy! Limbs nailed to saplings for ladders. I don't know if there was more than one trail out or not!
‘I knew how to cruise timber’ Sounds like a great pick up line!

Did Glacier and Crater Lake many years ago. Fish or not ... you gotta go. Both are incredible places.

Don't know about the fishing there, but I'd second the comments of others here about the breathtaking beauty of the place.

We flew into Billings and worked our way west across the state, ending at Glacier where we spent a few days. In the process we fell in love with Montana. Also, you can drive 85 mph on I-90 in sparse traffic, so it's surprising how fast large expanses can be covered.

The Gallatin River and canyon are also a treasure...not far at all from Bozeman, which is a pretty college town in its own right. The Gallatin is famous for its fly fishing under 10,000 foot peaks that create a gorgeous scene. Gosh, I hope I can get back to Montana some day before I die.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT