ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else think that CJF should have played McSorely on that last series?

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
He said he wanted to get him some experience, and that was a chance. We may not have too many situations for the backup QB to play this year so why not take them when they are there?

Reactions: N&B4PSU and Fizz1
He said he wanted to get him some experience, and that was a chance. We may not have too many situations for the backup QB to play this year so why not take them when they are there?
I thought the same.

Absolutely! A lost opportunity. I realize it's early but I'm very disappointed in CJF's performance this year.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Are you trolling for Temple fans?

No...when you're trying to get a group of guys to build confidence and play well together, putting McSorley in for that situation would do nothing but potentially divide the team if he were to come in and do well.

Give him a series or two early in a game that is going to be a likely blowout(Army), or bring him in to mop up. I don't think it would be a good idea to create a QB controversy.

No...when you're trying to get a group of guys to build confidence and play well together, putting McSorley in for that situation would do nothing but potentially divide the team if he were to come in and do well.

Give him a series or two early in a game that is going to be a likely blowout(Army), or bring him in to mop up. I don't think it would be a good idea to create a QB controversy.

Good luck.
We won't have a game that will be a sure blow out until 2017, and there is no way CJF will put him in for a couple series early if he won't even put him in up 13 with 4 minutes to play.

What am I missing. how can you think by playing your backup QB, a redshirt freshman, for the last series of a game, replacing a 3 year starter, creates a QB controversy?

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Good luck.
We won't have a game that will be a sure blow out until 2017, and there is no way CJF will put him in for a couple series early if he won't even put him in up 13 with 4 minutes to play.

What am I missing. how can you think by playing your backup QB, a redshirt freshman, for the last series of a game, replacing a 3 year starter, creates a QB controversy?
What is McS gonna' gain by coming in and handing of three times? Or even throwing a pass or two?

That he wouldn't get 1000 X over in 30 minutes of live scrimmage on a Wednesday afternoon?

Now.....if this was a 35-0 game at the half, and he could come in and run a regular offense for 30 minutes...sure. If PSU was in a position where they knew they had a laugher, and you rotated him in every third possession...sure.

But of all the things to criticize.....this isn't one of them.

Yep. All Hack did was hand the ball off to a back.

No way you put in #2. You had people all week crying and screaming to bench Hack. Everyone saying he was one and done. That McS needed to start. No team wins with a two headed monster so don't even start that game.

Why risk having Hack looking over his shoulder? Why risk having people arguing over who should start? Why risk having the team divided over who should play?

Foolish

Hack would look over his shoulde
No way you put in #2. You had people all week crying and screaming to bench Hack. Everyone saying he was one and done. That McS needed to start. No team wins with a two headed monster so don't even start that game.

Why risk having Hack looking over his shoulder? Why risk having people arguing over who should start? Why risk having the team divided over who should play?

Foolish

Foolish

Hack, a 3 year starter, would look over his shoulder if the backup took 3 snaps at the end of the game with a 13 point lead? That's ridiculous.

This thread isn't about Hack, it's about getting the 2nd string QB into a game to get comfortable in front of a big crowd (even though the crowd was not that big by PSU standards), so that he is more ready to play when he is actually needed.

Don't want Lynch looking over his shoulder, don't play Barkley...... WRONG!!

It's a team game and PSU needs to get a backup QB ready so that when Hack gets smashed by a real team when we get into conference play we have someone to come in that has played in a live college game before. I also believe Hack is a team player that understands that his team needs to be ready in case himself or any other front line player gets hurt. Surely Hack was replaced as a high school QB, likely at times due to the success of his team, but also likely to get the younger players some experience.

I don't see the logic in believing that any starter will have his feelings hurt by being replaced at mop up time, whether his team is ahead or behind. It is common in sports. And if any athlete is that frail in personality he would surely fail in professional sports.

Maybe against Army McSorely can get some reps. Unless there is dramatic improvement on the OL (and this is possible as they looked much better today during the last 1.5 quarters - for whatever reason, Barkley's running opening things up or the Bufs defense could have gotten tired), I don't see many opportunities for building a big lead where it is obvious that the backup QB should play. Most here would be surprised if this team gets up by 20+ against anyone in the B10. And we wouldn't want to take a chance on having our starter looking over his shoulder...........

Getting a second QB ready to play does not have much to do with practice. The depth chart is determined in practice, but every team needs to be 2 deep at every position. If McSorely, or any 2nd team QB, plays a different style that the starter (more mobile, higher tendency to scramble, or other tendencies) most would think that it is even more important to get the guy some live reps with the starters, so the other 10 guys that he will be playing with can get to feel comfortable with him as well.

Didn't mean to be antagonistic or create an argument. We are not the coaches but as fans we are allowed to second guess the coaches decisions.... It's part of the game. Fans many times believe the backup QB should be playing, although that was not the intent of any of the comments in this thread. Little league coaches get second guessed, and it's more prevalent going up the ladder to pro sports. Coaches whose teams underperform certainly get second guessed. And our offense has underperformed through the first two games.

Last edited:
Hack is a two yr starter just starting his third season.....and struggling. After his first game of yr, lots of people calling for his head He was obviously struggling and not very confident in either himself, the line, or his receivers. He needed to stay in and get it all back and get in a rhythm. That's why they were throwing deep passes in the fourth qtr with a lead He needs to complete a few and get it going.

And yes if #2 comes in a throws several good passes, that starts the talking......oh wait, the talking already started. It would just get louder. And if he doesn't throw any, why bother?

If you think three snaps wouldn't cause any issues then why would three snaps do any good? And there was no crowd by then as every one left because of all the rain. The stadium was just about empty.

As for a clue....I get really tired of all the experts here that know more than the coaches even though they don't go to practices, don't sit in film session, don't sit in in coaches evaluation meetings, aren't on the sidelines during games, don't have injury updates, very few here ever played big-time college ball (and the few that did did it over a decade ago when it was a different game), don't talk to players on a daily basis to know their mindset....yet they know who should play when and what plays should be called every down.

Admit it, you and I and pretty much everyone else on this board are all clueless.

I think we have not seen McSorley, as JF wants to avoid a possible controversy. it would have been normal for him to come in at the end of Temple. if he came in the last two drives v Temple, he very well might have moved the team

Wet ball, wet conditions. You keep the guy in there who's gotten all the snaps and is used to the conditions to hand the ball off to end the game. That's what Franklin did. McSorely I'm sure is ready to play if needed. Let's hope he's not except for some mop up time in one or two of the next four home games.

Admit it said:
Throwing passes? Hardly. He's going to get in the game and hand it off and get the feel of being in front of a crowd in a moment that matters. You can practice till the cows come home and it ain't even remotely close to what it's like in front of 100,000 screaming people. period. anyone who thinks differently has never played.

would i like to see our backup get some meaningful reps (actually DO something)? certainly. i mean, just maybe our QB gets injured (y'know, like ND's QB did) and we hafta put a kid out there who isn't even remotely prepared. Now what ND did last week was to get their backup a lot of PT and.. guess what... it paid off huge today. but that's ND... big dummies.

btw, i'm no expert but i (and many others) sure as hell believed our 4th string RB was the best RB on the team. maybe because i've (we've) watched enough video to figure it out. coaches knew it.. instead went with all the old faithfuls. and guess what? us dumb-dumbs were right.

and that doesn't mean any one of us should be coaching.. it simply means you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure this shit out. apparently, some people think you do.

ADVERTISEMENT